7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 7:59 AM by jeremiahsypult

Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)

zir3005

When creating a fresh multitrack session, the user is prompted to indicate where to save the session files before starting.  While I understand that this is the standard for many digital audio workstations, it slows down editing workflow considerability.  It is wrong to assume everytime the user goes into the multitrack view that they intend on saving it.

The use case here is that users that edit audio would like to quickly open up Audition and layer a few sounds together using a scratch multitrack view, export that combined sound and then not save the multitrack session.  Essentially the multitrack session is a quick nonlinear scratchpad.

A solution to this is to default to a new *scratch* session first, and then prompt to save the session later.  By forcing users to ALWAYS create a new session in advance it creates lots of blank session files if only used for scratch.  Another solution is to just allow a specific session file to be automatically loaded as the default on startup. In both cases it would improve speed and workflow.

I submitted a bug but wanted to post here as well.

• 1. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
          djlimbs

+1, being able to quickly enter a multitrack session, create a quick sound effect, export it and move on without having to create and name a session/folder would be a big help with flow.

• 2. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
            orange drink

That is a fantastic idea zir3005.  In my audio and film production work, I often need to compile "sound bites" or "hit singles" that I make in about 60 seconds and then export.  There are some other DAWs out there that save unsaved sessions to a temp file, in case of an unexpected shut down, or crasho.  That could be a work around.

---------------------------------------

http://www.orangedrinkmusic.com/minotaur

Listen to the new electro-house-8-bit album, MINOTAUR

and help fund the Kickstarter project!

• 3. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
              zir3005 Level 1

Just as a quick follow up in case it wasn't clear in my original post - defaulting to an empty session and then prompting to save on exit has been the standard behavior of Cool Edit / Audition as long as I can remember. Prompting to save first is unexpectedly new workflow for this application which is why I consider it a bug (and not a feature request).

• 4. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
                Ron_Day Adobe Employee

Hey Guys,

There are many reasons why we chose to force a save of a session before allowing you to start working in the multitrack.

Some of these reasons include the ability for us to save recordings, bounces, temp files, etc for you in a known location for later use without having to throw everything in temp locations or leave you with unsaved files everywhere.

Some of the new functionality in this new version of Audition are extremely helpful when working within sessions, but in order to get that functionality we had to know where to place the files for you. Regalrdess of if this works for everyone, this is a fundamental change that was required for us to improve on what we had.

As a workaround, here's what I suggest:

1. Open Audition and create a new multitrack session (name it whatever you want like "Audition Default").

2. Choose to place this session in the location of your choice (from the "Folder Location" drop-down list).

3. Add as many tracks as you normally use, set up default settings for the session, etc.

4. Save the Session.

5. Close Audition.

6. Create a shortcut (or alias) to that session in your application folder or dock (wherever you normally launch Audition from).

7. Instead of launching the Audition application when you want to use it for a new session, instead launch the saved session file you created.

This will open Audition with that session open and you won't be prompted for anything.

Do note though that this will have the drawback of placing all files ever associated with this session in the location of the .sesx file. If this doesn't matter to you, this wil work fine. If you do want to save the session for later use though I do suggest you perform that save when yuo first open the session so from then on we always place the files associated with the session in the correct folders.

--Ron

• 5. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
                  zir3005 Level 1

Hey Ron, thanks for such a quick response!  The critical problem in the steps you've outlined is here:

6. Create a shortcut (or alias) to that session in your application folder or dock (wherever you normally launch Audition from).

7. Instead of launching the Audition application when you want to use it for a new session, instead launch the saved session file you created.

The problem is you assume I'm always going to start in Multitrack mode. Say for instance if I have Adobe Audition associated with all .wav files and I double click on one to listen and edit it.  Adobe Audition will launch with the file loaded up in the edit view but if I want to chop it up nonlinearly in Multitrack view....as soon as I click the Multitrack button - boom - I'm asked to create a new session again, so your workaround won't work.  This is how it is disruptive to workflow.  The idea of being able to seamlessly edit a single file, jump to multitrack, jump back to single file (and vice versa) is important to Audition's workflow.

I totally understand the requirement that Adobe Audition needs to know where to put files first.  All I'm asking is let users have an option to set the behavior for the default session file for the multitrack mode upon startup if nothing is loaded.

Multitrack mode startup default:

[  ] Always create new session

[x] Specify default session to load

Current: [/desktop/my-default.sesx]

Set current session as default? [confirm]

If the file isn't found or some other problem, just assume current behavior of "Always create new session."

Thanks again for your quick response and glad to see such commitment to constant improvement of AA through this beta.

• 6. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
                    djlimbs Level 1

I agree the workaround is not a good enough solution for my purposes. I intend to use Audition as a wave-editor to supplement my primary DAW, and will not need to save my multitrack sessions often. I just want to load Audition from my main DAW, jump to multitrack mode, throw layers together, add effects, adjust levels and bounce to audio to throw back into my main DAW. Having to save a session cuts into that flow, and while it seems standard for DAWs, what set Adobe Audition apart was that I didnt have to do that. It's all about flow in 2010!!!

• 7. Re: Bug: Forced save of a new multitrack session (no scratch option)
                      jeremiahsypult

I'm in the same camp as one who uses Audition primarily as a wave editor.

File > New should never force the user to save a document. It can definitely force the user to set some critical session parameters (sample rate, etc), but should never force the user to save each and every "scratch" document they may want to create.

Photoshop does not ask you to save a layered PSD every time you create a new document. Previous versions of Audition/Cool Edit did not either.