21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 8:44 AM by the_wine_snob

PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit

Highspeedlane

Are there any known conflicts with Pre 9 and 64 bit Windows 7? I have a .mpg made with Pre 9 when it was installed on 32 bit Vista. Now I have imported this file into Pre 9 installed on Win 7 64 bit and the movie doesn't play in the edit/preview window. It just sits statically.

I have checked online for and downloaded all recent updates, not sure what else to do at this point. Thanks if you have any info on this.

• 1. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It is more likely either a video display issue with the new computer, or OS, or an issue with the MPEG.

To check the former, go to the nVidia (or ATI) Web site, download and install the latest driver. Does that fix playback?

Next, hit the Enter key to Render that MPEG. Does it now playback better?

If not, with either of those suggestions, can you give us the full specs. of the MPEG file? There can be a lot of "stuff" in the MPEG "wrapper," and it could mean that you just need to install the proper CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
            Highspeedlane Level 1

Hi and thanks for your response.

It's actually doing this with .wmv's also...I tried two different .wmv's and rendered both with no change. A check for newer graphic drivers told me I have the latest drivers already installed.

What type of info do you need from the video? Let me know and I can post that. Thanks.

• 3. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you would download, install and then run your file(s) through G-Spot, just upload the screen-cap. Might be something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                Highspeedlane Level 1

Hello,

This was all the relevant info it pulled up -

Video
                Codec WMV3
                Name WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)
                Status Codec Status Undetermined

Audio
                Codec 0x0161 (WMA v2)
                0x01:16000Hz  16 kb/s (1 chnl)

File Type: ASF (.WMA/.WMV)
                Mime Type: video/x-ms-asf
                File Length Correct
                Sys Bitrate: 158 kb/s
                Created:     2010 Dec 06   19:21:14

Aud:DeviceConformanceTemplate:L2
                Vid:DeviceConformanceTemplate:MP@LL
                Aud:WM/WMADRCPeakReference:11513
                Aud:WM/WMADRCAverageReference:1460
                Vid:NumberOfFrames:4936
                Aud:Windows Media Audio 9
                Aud: 16 kbps, 16 kHz, mono 1-pass CBR
                Vid:Windows Media Video 9

Again, thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, WMV is a heavily-compressed, delivery-only format, which can be difficult to edit, and is a resource hog, as well. Also, once MS installed a full compliment of WMV CODEC's, along with the OS. Now, it seems that they want the users of some versions to separately download the WMV CODEC's. Not sure which versions are affected. Going back to Vista, MS had a Vista CODEC pack. That was required for playback of most WMV format Videos. Those MS CODEC packs are also the ONLY ones that I recommend. I stay far from all other CODEC "packs," basically for the other "stuff," that they also install.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                    Highspeedlane Level 1

This is baffling. Here's what I've got so far:

I went to the Dell website and downloaded/installed every available display driver for the laptop (XPS L501X). No changes. The test .wmv plays in Windows Media Player, and it will play in PRE 9 if I open the Organizer, select Fix, and play it in the preview window.

One thing I notice is unusual is that when I first open PRE 9, the preview pane shows the "To add menu drag Template here", and I don't remember that showing when in the Edit tab before. It's almost as though my installation is bugged up somehow, though it ran fine on my Vista SP2 laptop, and I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to veryify it's installing correctly.

I uninstalled it from Win 7 and installed it on a copy of XP Professional SP3 I have running on VMware Player on this same laptop, and it did the same thing.

When the "To add menu drag Template here" is showing, I have to double click it to get the video to show there, but the video still remains motionless during play.

I guess my fall back is to run PRE 3 on my virtual XP machine, at least until someone discovers what might be going on and may be able to shed some light on this. Bummer I guess.

• 7. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                      ShatteredSoul

I have the exact same symptoms on a Core i5, Win 7 64-bit machine with a GT335M (CUDA).

I installed it on my 6-year old Win XP desktop and m2ts preview playback is fine.

One thing to note is:

The install on the XP machine was downloaded as a trial first.

The install on the Win 7 machine was installed from the CD and I installed the content pack, which displays the "add template here" text.

Only sound plays, and when you click in the preview pane, it will show a still image of the video. Editing is impossible.

• 8. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                        nealeh Level 5

Is it that PRE9 is starting up with the Disc Menus tab active?

1.png

What happens if you create a new project and load a new clip, not previously used in your PRE projects?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                          Highspeedlane Level 1

Shattered - thanks for your response. That is very interesting and informative as well, because it seems to point to an incompatibility problem with certain configurations (what ever that may be) and Pre 9.Hopefully there will be a patch update at some point that will address this.

I am running my Dell XPS on its factory installed OS (with Dell recovery partition) and this is another trouble spot in itself in other respects. I've ordered the Dell factory restore disks which they charge extra for these days, in hopes it can overcome some other glitches related to the way the new Dell notebooks are set up to be recovered from locally made disks, and then only to the originally installed HD. Long story there, but I plan to wipe this whole drive and reinstall from scratch after the restore disks arrive and see what and if this does with any of this.

Ironically, I loaded Pre 3 on my XPS which is running Windows XP SP3 on VMware player, and after giving the virtual OS 2 processors and 3 gigs of ram (configured from within VMware), Pre 3 runs great! So this could be a fall back for anyone interested. This also seems a good alternative for running legacy software on Win 7/64 versus the "XP mode", which did nothing when I tried it with Pre 9.

Thanks for your input!

• 10. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                            Highspeedlane Level 1

Nealeh,

I was able to replicate the exact same symptoms from within Windows XP running on the same laptop (in VMware player), so this strongly points to something other than the Win 7/64 OS now, and more to something hardware related and native to the Dell XPS L501X (or similarly configured laptops).

Whether this is memory, the i5 processor, graphics processor or what have you, I have no idea at this point. I won't be near my laptop again for about another 8-10 hours but will report back on your suggestion when I am.

There is definitely something in the Pre 9 that doesn't like the XPS environment (guessing here) that causes it to run very glitchy and sometimes lock up...that happened yesterday evening.

Thanks and more to follow later.

• 11. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                              Highspeedlane Level 1

I've tried .WMV, .MPG and .MOV files. Opened new file and same thing...the image below is what you see. After clip is dragged to timeline, it still doesn't appear in the preview pane until you double click the "To add menu drag Template here" that is visible in pic below, then the video remains still during play. You can see it move ahead and back by dragging the little needle arm, but otherwise the video does not move during play. Note "Organize" tab is open, but this also occurs with the Edit tab as well.

http://highspeedlane.net/milforum/gallery/d/1297-1/1.jpg

I've run Pre 9 on Vista SP2 without anything like this happening, so until the conflict with this L501X is eventually discovered, it looks like this is going to be a great mystery.

• 12. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

It seems to be as if the GUI is stuck on the Create Menus tab. Weird, just weird.

Wish that I had some thoughts to help, but other than that old saw, "update the video drivers... " I cannot think of anything that would cause such behavior. Hope that someone else can come up with suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                  nealeh Level 5

Wohhhhhhh! That is weird. As you've already updated your video drivers what about QuickTime - are you running the current version 7.6.8? If not upgrade it and see if that helps.

That's probably a good screen image to send to Adobe support as well.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                    Highspeedlane Level 1

Bill and nealeh,

Yep, all drivers up to date, latest Quicktime running, and the problem is the exact same on the same laptop while running in Win XP, so I'm sure it's not OS related but something about the graphics/drivers or hardware architecture of this XPS L501X.

I'll attempt to contact Adobe support to report the problem...wish me luck and thanks!

• 15. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are a few additional thoughts, though none is likely (in my book) to offer any hope:

Do you have any viewing utilities, such as a magnifier, or similar?

Do you have any GUI enhancers, like Window Blinds?

Do you have any GUI features, like SideBar (Vista - I know that you have tried XP and Win 7, so I am thinking something similar)?

What is your mouse driver? I know that this sounds an odd question, but some versions of MS InteliPoint and Logitec's SetPoint, have caused some odd behavior with Adobe GUI's. The fix for those was to just go with the MS Windows generic mouse driver, until a new, better one from MS, or Logitec is released.

How many, and which programs/processes load at bootup?

Does your laptop have an embedded Intel graphics chip? Probably in the details above, but did not notice it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                        ShatteredSoul Level 1

Just wanted to let you know that a very recent graphic driver update fixed my issue.

My card is a nVidia with Optimus. This card has given me some issues with games before, so I won't be surprised if this was the main culprit.

There were a few updates to Premiere Elements from the last time I tried it, but I don't think any had to do with display-type fixes.

• 17. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the video driver update fixed things for you. It is amazing how the correct video driver update can fix so much. PrE, unlike most other programs, really interfaces closely with both the video and audio drivers. About the only other programs that do so are extreme games, heavy-duty 3D and CAD applications.

Also, if a machine is used for both extreme gaming and for video editing, sometimes the settings for one application, might not be the correct one for another.

Thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                            Highspeedlane Level 1

Okay...sorry it took me a while to get back to this. We can officially mark this one as "answered" for this.

I ended up disabling the display driver for my laptop, and PRE 9 now looks to be performing properly. This is the most current driver, so until a new one is released, I'll just run the laptop as is.

For anyone having a similar issue, the card I'm using is NVidia GForce GT 420M. The driver is NVidia 8.17.12.5939

Thanks for all the input and assistance on this question!

• 19. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are working for you, and thanks for the driver version. That will very likely help someone else.

Appreciated, and Happy New Year,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                                Highspeedlane Level 1

One more update!

I went to Dell support and found 8.17.12.5951 and installed it and PRE 9 is still working. Why I was mislead into thinking I had the most current driver was I downloaded the latest driver from NVidia, went to perform a driver update in Windows, pointed it to the install executable, and Windows came up with, "You have the most current driver already installed".

Oddly, when I went ahead and attempted to install this driver anyway, the NVidia installer errored out, telling me "no compatible hardware or devices could be found", even though it clearly was labeled on their site as compatible with my card!

So finally I figured what the heck, go ahead and install the driver from Dell support and all is well.

Thanks Bill and every one for the help!

• 21. Re: PRE 9 -Not playing preview on Win 7 64 bit
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, some computer mfgrs. will tweak drivers to work best with their version of the card/chip and their version of the OS (often tweaked a bit too). Some, like older Toshibas, wrote things so that ONLY their drivers could work, and then they seldom updated those!

Dell and HP seem to be much better, in most cases. I could well be just those little tweaks of the nVidia drivers that is what is working.

With a Dell, I usually recommend going to their site first - as long as they keep up the good work with the drivers, and THEN gong to the nVidia, or ATI site, to check.

Do not know if Dell re-works the Realtek audio drivers, but if they do, they would be my first stop. Not owning any Dells, I have zero first-hand experience, and must rely on reports from "the trenches."

Good luck, and thanks for the update,

Hunt