9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 2:09 PM by jjsherry1947a

Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7

jjsherry1947a

The audio in my Elements project has a background hum. So I exported the audio, removed the hum in Audacity, and saved the new audio as a wav file. Then I deleted the original audio track and replaced it with the cleaned up version. But now the audio doesn't synch with the video.

Since the project contains many clips, some of which have been moved within the project, I thought about exporting the audio one clip at a time. But I can't find a way of doing that. Even when I unlink the audio and video, select only the audio clip, choose work area only, and try to export the clip, I still get the audio for the entire project.

Ultimately, I want to get the cleaned up audio synched with the video. Any ideas??

• 1. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For your OOS (Out Of Sync) issue, is it static, say off by a couple of frames constantly, or does it drift over time?

For general OOS problems, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Some formats exhibit more OOS, than others. What are your source files, both the Audio & Video?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
            jjsherry1947a Level 1

Hunt,

It seems to be in synch for the first few second and then it's out of synch. I can't really tell by how much.

The original video and audio were taken with a Panasonic Mini DV Palmcorder and imported into Elements 7.  When I exported the audio from Elements, it created a .wav file. I imported the file into Audacity 1.3 , cleaned it up, and then exported the cleaned up file in WAV (Microsoft signed 16 Bit PCM) format.

Jim

• 3. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
              nealeh Level 5

For PRE7 go to File> Export> Audio... From the Export Audio dialog click Settings:

1.png

Then in Export Audio Settings, select Work Area Bar from the Range field.

4.png

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                jjsherry1947a Level 1

Neale,

Yes. I tried this and it still exports the entire audio, not just the audio from the selected clip.

Jim

• 5. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                  nealeh Level 5

You must change the in and out points on the Work Area Bar - this is not the same as selecting the clip on the timeline.

The quickest way to set the WAB is to place the CTI (the play line) to the start and press [Alt] plus left facing square bracket ( the [ key ). Place the CTI at the end and press [Alt] plus right facing square bracket ( the ] key ).

In the following image the WAB is set to the area I want to export. The CTI is nowhere to be seen (it does not have to be) and the clip covered by the WAB is not selected (it doesn't have to be). Only the area covered by the WAB is important.

3.png

I've tested this in PRE7 and it works fine. If it does not work for you try re-installing PRE7. If the problem remains you may need to go to Adobe's Technical Support.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I did not know about the keyboard shortcut to set the WAB. I have just been doing a Click-drag on the "brackets." Thank you!

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                      jjsherry1947a Level 1

Neale,

I guess I'll have to re-install the program, because I've tried to define a work area bar several times by putting the play line at the start and pressing ALT-[ and them moving to the end of the clip and pressing ALT-] and nothing appears as you show in your image, and when I export Work Area only, I still get the whole project. (sigh)

But ultimately the selection of a work area bar is only a means to an end. I've cleaned up the entire audio and want to put it back, but it is now out of synch. I'm guessing that's because there's a lot of editing and rearranging in the file. I probably should have cleaned up the audio before doing anything at all, and then begun all my editing.

But I was hoping that by replacing the audio clip by clip, I might avoid having to start over completely.

Jim

• 8. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                        nealeh Level 5

jjsherry1947a wrote:

I probably should have cleaned up the audio before doing anything at all, and then begun all my editing.

I'm doing a lot of VHS conversions at the moment and that's my usual workflow. Pull it in with my ADVC bridge, export the entire audio and clean it as much as I can with Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, and bring it back in to PRE to replace the original audio track.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Audio synchronization problem in Elements 7
                          jjsherry1947a Level 1

Neale,

Thanks. I think I'll start over and do that. I took that approach with another family recollections video a few years ago, and it worked, so I know that that approach will work with the tools I have.

Jim