18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 5:17 AM by Steve Grisetti

Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

ABWay0 Level 1

1. I have HD-AVI (Blackmagic AVI: 4:3 aspect, 1440x1080, square pixel, upper field order) video (digitized home movies).  Should I select a Project Preset that matches the screen aspect ratio (4:3), the pixel ratio (1440x1080), or nearly matches the pixel aspect ratio (closest to 1:1 is 0.9091)?  No Project Preset exactly matches my file.

2. Does a 720x480 Project Preset degrade the resolution of my 1440x1080 images on output or just in the Workspace Monitor Panel?  I see that the 16:9 presets put my images in a center box.

3. If I want to save edited files in AVI format, which of the available AVI output presets should I modify in order to retain the archival quality of my original files?  I have tried changing the Uncompressed Microsoft AVI preset to 1440x1080, square pixel, upper field order, but the file size increases by a factor of 10.  It looks like I can change the Microsoft AVI preset if I choose some of the 8 available codecs other than the preset Cinepak Codec by Radius.  I don't know yet what would happen to my file size.  Are their some codecs I should try to modify first?

Many thanks,

Tony

• 1. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
          nealeh Level 5

What's wrong with the HDV 1080i 30 preset ?

----------

Quality will be determined by your output settings. So if you start with 1440x1080 but want to output to DVD at 720x480 then PRE has to reduce the pixels in the image. This will degrade quality.

----------

Standard Definition runs at around 12GB per hour, For archiving SD material use the Personal Computer> DV-AVI option. There is a Lossless free codec that Bill Hunt has previously recommended - Lagarith Lossless Video Codec that you may wish to try. After installing I believe you select it through the Microsft AVI output settings.

----------

For details on High Definition I'm unsure. But I expect others will chip-in soon to give you the necessary detail.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

You are correct, with regards to Lagarith Lossless Video CODEC.

Also, with the BM CODEC, one must have it installed on the system. I just do not know how well, or poorly, PrE might work with those CODEC's. They are most often used, when one also has a BM card installed. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on CODEC's in general, and point to some that work with playback software, but not so well with editing software. I just do not know about those from Black Magic - sorry.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
              ABWay0 Level 1

The Project Preset HDV 1080i 30 has a pixel aspect of 1.333 giving a screen aspect of 16:9.  My 4:3 HD-AVI is put in the middle box of a 16:9 screen which determines my output format.  For and editing file, I want to keep the orginal 4:3 format.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but my question is: if my 4:3 1440x1080 file is brought into Premiere Elements (I have 8 & am waiting for 9) with the 4:3 720x480 DV Project Preset will that downgrading of my resolution carry through to my output at 1440x1080?

• 4. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, HD is normally Square Pixels, so I am confused here.

Sorry, but I do not know the answers,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Some hi-def video does include non-square pixels, Bill -- but in that case a 1440x1080 would create a 16:9 picture, not a 4:3.

So you're right. There is something that just doesn't make sense about the poster's question, and I'm not sure how to answer it either.

• 6. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                    ABWay0 Level 1

1. Everybody is right!  According to PrE8 Project Settings Presets:

PrE8 Project Preset AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 = 1920/1080*1.0(i.e.square pixels) = 16:9.

PrE8 Project Preset AVCHD HD 1080i 30 = 1440/1080*1.33 (i.e. rectangular pixels) = 16:9.

2. My primary question, however, does not revolve around pixel ratio, but rather is about whether the Project Settings Preset" (i.e. "New Project">"Project Settings">"Change Settings">"Setup: Available Presets") which inputs the file into PrE8 just adjusts the file resolution for the PrE8 Workspace Monitor or whether it actually presents that adjusted resolution for output at "Share">"Personal Computer">"AVI">"Presets".

• 7. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                      nealeh Level 5

If you bring HD footage into an SD project then internally PRE will be working with SD. So if you then output to an HD format PRE will be upscaling the clips to match that output.

Essentially you are degrading twice. When you load your HD footage, PRE 'throws away' pixels to bring it to 720x480. When you Share to HD it has to create pixels from the SD footage - resulting in more degradation.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                        ABWay0 Level 1

I see that PrE7 (& reportedly PrPro) may have had the option to create/modify project presets when opening a new project.  This option seems to be missing from PrE8, will it be available again in PrE9?

• 9. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

The option to create custom presets was removed because it was a bit misleading. You could adjust but not significantly modify or create new project presets.

Premiere Elements works with its default presets only, for the most part.

However, as you've seen, you can output a standard definition DV-AVI from a hi-def AVCHD project. Is that what you're asking? Otherwise, it's still not clear what you're trying to do.

• 10. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                            ABWay0 Level 1

Thanks for clarifying about Project Presets.

I have home movies transfered for archival purposes to HD-AVI (MJPEG, 1440x1080, Square Pixels, i.e. high definition 4:3 format).  I want to be able to slightly edit these files (e.g. cut and separate sections of the movies) and save them in the same high definition AVI format without losing any (or at least not much) resolution.  To do this, I assume that I need to set the new PrE8 project to a high definition Project Preset before I Share with a high definition AVI output preset.  My question is about matching input and output presets for a high definition 4:3 (1440x1080, Sq. Pixel) AVI file.

• 11. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

I'm sorry but you're not likely to be able to work with 1440x1080 square pixels in an MJPEG file in Premiere Elements.

It's an incompatible codec and a non-traditional hi-def frame format.

• 12. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                                ABWay0 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for sticking with me.  Your conclusion is the same as what I was coming to.  Anyway, Santa will be giving me your PSE/PrE9 book.  I am looking forward to it.

Tony

• 13. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

That Santa! What a great guy!

Thanks so much for supporting the book, Tony. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 14. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                                    ABWay0 Level 1

Well, until Santa get here, might you know, or know someone who knows, how to edit a .sqpreset file so I could change it from 16x9 1920x1080 to 4:3 1440x1080?  I can read and edit the .sqpreset files with Notepad and put them back in the Settings/SequencePresets folder and PrE8 does acknowledge and use them.  I haven't experimented enough to know whether it is sufficient just to change the

"<VideoFieldType>1</VideoFieldType>" sub-line

from "<VideoFrameSize>0,0,19200,1080</VideoFrameSize>"

to "<VideoFrameSize>0,0,1440,1080</VideoFrameSize>"?

Many thanks.

• 15. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

Sorry, I'm not very good at hacking project files. I just use the program as it's designed to be used (with all its limitations).

There are some folks on the Community Forum at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com who may be able to help you there.

But, as I mentioned, a square pixel 1440x1080 4:3 high-def file - especially if it's an MJPEG -- is very non-standard. It may not work at all in this program. Not without converting it to something more traditional.

• 16. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                                        ABWay0 Level 1

Steve,

1. Thanks for catching my duplicative post to Nealeh.  I didn't quite understand how the forum operates, but now I do.

2. I've already registered on the MuviPix forum and expect to subscribe when I get back in to video editing with PrE9.

Many thanks,

Tony

• 17. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files
                                          ABWay0 Level 1

1. FYI: Making the above changes in the sqpreset does allow me to input my funny file, and by making corresponding PrE8 changes to the output codec (a PrE8 option), I can edit and save this file in what appears to be its original format.  Thus my archiving needs are met.

2. In the process, I found that my PrE8 crashes during rendering were due to one frame (11:02) which, when excised, stopped the crashing.  Any idea of what could go wrong with a single frame to cause rendering crashes.  Just curious.

• 18. Re: Matching Presets to Input and Output Files

Sometimes a corrupt clip or even a corrupt frame can corrupt a project.