19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 11:03 PM by PBoehme

Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4

dhlighter

I just did the update for photoshop CS4 after finding out that I could not open Raw files, but after the update I still can't open them. I own the Adobe Photoshop CS4, and a Nikon D3100 camera. Is there something I have to download in order to get my files to open? I noticed the Camera Raw update 6.3, but that's for CS5 and is not backwards compatible...

• 1. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
          JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

You will have to download and use the DNG Converter 6.3 to convert your NEF files to DNG (Digital negative) files.  Then you will be able to open those DNG files using Photoshop CS4.  There will be no more updates for Camera Raw for Photoshop CS4.  The last update was released long before the D3100 was available.

• 2. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
            jawspinkid

Are you sure about no more Camera RAW Updates for CS4? How does one go about requesting it at Adobe Labs?

• 3. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
              JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

Yes, I am sure.  This has been a standard policy from Adobe ever since they started providing ACR.  You can request an update, but it really won't do you any good.  Once a new version of Photoshop has been released, ACR is only updated for that current version.  ALL support for previous versions, including ACR, ceases.  If you are unwilling or unable to upgrade to the current version, then your only option (as far as using Photoshop CS4 and ACR is concerned) is to convert your images to DNG using the most current version of the converter.

• 4. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                _Paz_ Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for your explanation RE: Adobe's update policy.

I've just purchased a Canon 7D - don't even have it yet - and I've come to realize that my RAW 7D files are not going to open in PS 3 Extended.

I've never used DNG.  Know nothing about it.  If I install DNG then will I be able to only do editing in Photoshop, bypassing RAW?

thanks,

_Paz_

• 5. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                  Level 4

Paz,

The DNG Converter is a stand-alone application,  You want always to use the latest version of the DNG Converter, currently 6,3, as it is not tied to your version of Photoshop or Camera Raw..  It takes your Canon RAW files and creates corresponding raw DNG files, which you can then open in any version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) later than 2.4.  In your case, if you have Photoshop CS3, you'll be using ACR 4.6 to open your raw DNG files.

Your original Canon raw files remain untouched.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 6. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Adobe figures if you can afford a 7D and are unwilling to live with a 2 stage conversion (CR2->DNG->Image), then you can afford a Photoshop upgrade.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                      _Paz_ Level 1

Tai,

Thank you for the information.  Yes, I do have ACR version 4.6.

I'll hunt for the DNG convertor and download it.

thanks again,

Paz

• 8. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                        _Paz_ Level 1

Noel,

That's funny!

I had to beg, borrow and well, I draw the line before lying or stealing!

thanks for a smile,

Paz

• 9. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Adobe figures if you can afford a 7D and are unwilling to live with a 2 stage conversion (CR2->DNG->Image), then you can afford a Photoshop upgrade.

Note, that is Noel's characterization of what he thinks Adobe thinks...which in fact is not accurate.

What Adobe actually thinks is that it's far more important to spend resources on currently shipping products and offer free upgrades to those customers who have upgraded and continue development for new versions (ACR 7 in CS6). Adobe has a long standing policy to end support for products that have been upgraded as soon as a new upgraded version ships. Adobe continues free support for Photoshop. The current version is Photoshop CS5 and that's what is being supported.

Note: Adobe didn't HAVE to provide a free DNG Converter that could provide backwards compatibility all the way back to Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw 2.4 but they did...

Interesting that people don't seem to appreciate that...

• 10. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Now who's taking himself too seriously?

I guess I did forget to put in one of these: 

But if we're going to get serious, let's not forget that no one but Adobe programmed major versions of Camera Raw to only work with certain major versions of Photoshop.  Hey, why should they give up sales?  Note that I'm not saying I disagree with their policy - frankly I think (with the DNG thing) it's quite smart.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Now who's taking himself too seriously?

No, not at all...I just wanted to make sure other readers who may think you know something, know that you don't have any inside knowledge of Adobe's thinking in this matter. I do.

And while it's entirely possible for the ACR engineers to be able to incorporate backwards compatibility for ACR to previous versions of Photoshop, there are indeed legit technical reasons why that is a challenge. At what point do you draw the line? One version back is pretty easy and doable. But the further you look back the more difficult the challenge will be. Adobe had to draw the line somewhere...they decided to offer free upgrades only to the current shipping version. A decision I personally support because it frees up the engineers to also look forward and develop new things rather than spending time on backwards compatibility issues.

You can answer people's questions any way you want...it's a free country. Note that some people may have thought your flippant answer was true (which it ain't). Which is why I bothered to respond (rather than your supposition that I'm taking myself too seriously–which I think we've already covered, right?)

• 12. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

Well, my joke stands corrected by the Great Insider hisself. 

The funny thing is that I think this particular support policy is good, yet here we find ourselves arguing.  It would be rather nasty but for the DNG converter solution, which I DID mention, and which turns it around completely and makes Adobe the good guys.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                  _Paz_ Level 1

[quote]I guess I did forget to put in one of these:  [/quote]

LOL, I'm not all that bright, but I got it!

(I know I may get chewed out for asking here, but I ran a forum wide search on "Canon 7D video editing" and came up empty.)

I had already considered upgrading to Photoshop CS5 before I ordered the 7D.  Now that I'll have a camera capable of producing video files, and since I already have CS 3 Extended, should I upgrade to CS5 Extended?  I seem to remember there being a different Adobe program specifically for video editing, but $ is always a consideration.

thanks,

Paz

• 14. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                    Level 4

_Paz_ wrote:

…I'll hunt for the DNG convertor…

Just spell converter correctly when you search—with an e—or you may not find it. 

Hope you're fully recovered or at least well on the mend.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 15. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                      Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Noel Carboni wrote:

Note, that is Noel's characterization of what he thinks Adobe thinks...which in fact is not accurate…

Indeed.  Adobe knows well that, while we may be able to afford a new camera, we may not be in a position to invest the large amounts that buying a new machine and a complement of new software entail when the new versions of Photoshop and ACR no longer run on our machines.

The free DNG Converter is much appreciated.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 16. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                        _Paz_ Level 1

Tai,

Thanks again.  I'll mind my e's and o's!

I'm doing great.  Cancer in remission and the cyst in my brain has not increased in size since it was discovered.  I'll put up with the headaches if it means I can avoid brain surgery any day!

Jeff,

I do understand Adobe doesn't support older software.  I'm one of the schmucks who invested in  both versions of Adobe LiveMotion and Adobe GoLive as well.

At least LiveMotion and GoLive both still work, within the framework of my older PC and operating system.

I wish I could say the same for Pixel Genius' PhotoKit Sharpener.  It quit one day and even though I legally paid for it and have my registration number, it simply won't go.

Paz

• 17. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

_Paz_ wrote:

I wish I could say the same for Pixel Genius' PhotoKit Sharpener.  It quit one day and even though I legally paid for it and have my registration number, it simply won't go.

Well that's no good :~(

Go to the PG Support page and send a mail form to Tech Support. We'll get it running...

• 19. Re: Raw files not opening in Adobe CS4
                                            PBoehme Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Note: Adobe didn't HAVE to provide a free DNG Converter that could provide backwards compatibility all the way back to Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw 2.4 but they did...

True, but it seems like not making DNG converter available with backwards compatibility would have been at odds with their stated rationale in promoting the adoption of an open RAW image standard by the camera manufacturers.

Paula