7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 9:26 AM by Tai Lao

Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2

Jack Level 1

Please advise if capability exists to create DNG images from the proprietary RW2 files produced by the Panasonic DMC G2 camera.

• 1. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
          Level 4

See your duplicate thread:

That camera model is not supported yet.

ACR 6/3 was just released yesterday, so you will have to wait at least until mid March, 2011 for the next release, which may or may not support your camera.

You'll have to use the camera manufacturer's software.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 2. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
            Level 4

The raw files from the Panasonic DMC G2 with a suffix of ".RAW" are in the list of supported cameras. The files with that same camera with a suffix of RW2 are not listed as supported.

You specifically mentioned that "the format has changed to RW2."   That's a different animal.

You'll have to use the camera manufacturer's own software.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 3. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
              Jack Level 1

Your responses are coming in duplicate. Thanks for update.

Panasonic clearly state in their specifications that the G2K produces RAW images. Are we to play a crap shoot, not knowing if the G2K that we buy will be RAW or RW2?

Realize this is not your problem. I'm addressing this with Panasonic.

Best,

jwc

• 4. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
                Level 4

Jack wrote:

Your responses are coming in duplicate…

That's because I have been replying to each one of your duplicate threads. 

Perhaps you are subscribed by email to the forums?  I never use email to access the forum, nor do I ever reply by email or subscribe to the forums, only through the forum web interface.

Jack wrote:

…Panasonic clearly state in their specifications that the G2K produces RAW images. Are we to play a crap shoot, not knowing if the G2K that we buy will be RAW or RW2? …

I have no idea about Panasonic.  You were the one who mentioned the RW2 suffix in connection with that model.

I see that RW2 from one other Panasonic model is specifically mentioned in the list of supported cameras, but the suffix is not enough by itself.  Both the camera model and the file format must be supported.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
                  Jack Level 1

Lightroom 3.3 with ACR 6.3 opens RW2 files without a problem. Thanks for jogging my mind toward trying other solutions. Next step will be to upgrade PS from CS4 to CS5, provided that the latest version also has ACR 6.3. Will expect the next version to allow conversion of RW2 to DNG (best possible raw file type).

• 6. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
                    JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

If you download DNG Converter 6.3, it should create DNG files from your RW2 files.  The DNG converter always corresponds to the same version of ACR and Lightroom.  Those DNG files will then be able to be opened with what you already have.

• 7. Re: Conversion of RW2 files from Panasonic DMC G2
                      Level 4

Jack,

You started this set of threads in the Photoshop Macintosh forum, where you distinctly gave us the impression that you had actually tried to open your RW2 files with ACR 6.3 or DNG Converter 6.3 and had failed.

The list of supported cameras includes only the ".RAW" files from the camera in question, not its ".RW2" files.  So your report sounded plausible on its face.

Jim Hess is absolutely correct.  The DNG Converter works on any and all files that the corresponding versions of ACR and LR do.

Sorry about the confusion.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了