3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 3:12 PM by Harm Millaard

P6T7 WS SuperComputer to 24 gb?

Grecco32

Hi Harm!

Iam new to using forums, so I apologize in advance if I post or do something the wrong way.

All the memory out there seems to have slow timings.  I have 12 gb now and would like to upgrade to 24 gb.  Does some one have this set-up running with 24 and what types of memory sticks are being used?  I realize they are Hexa sets of tripple chip.  What I am looking for is mfg and part #.  If it makes sense to use 1600 so that I can over-clock processor and memory.  I have never done this before.  Is it worth the difference in price?

I have a I7975 Extreme processor.

Thanks for any asssistance you can offer.

• 1. Re: P6T7 WS SuperComputer to 24 gb?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, welcome to the forum.

There are many brands of suitable memory and many types that will work in 24 GB configurations, if you have at least Win7-64 Pro. If you have the Home veriosn you are out of luck, because no more than 16 GB is supported.

Brands to have a look at are Corsair, G.Skill, Mushkin and OCZ.

I would first look at the clock speed, DDR3-1600 is better than DDR3-1333 and next at the timings, with lower CAS latenciy being better.

Specific names that come to mind are Corsair Dominator, G.Skill Trident or RipJaws, OCZ Reaper or Platimum.

Be aware that some memory modules have such large cooling fins, that your current CPU coooler may no longer fit.

• 2. Re: P6T7 WS SuperComputer to 24 gb?
            Grecco32 Level 1

Hi Harm!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been looking at these that you have suggested for the last few days. It brings to mind last year when I did this with the 12 GB RAM. Finally, after  first calling the RAM mfg.  and them making a suggestion to me, purchasing what they suggested then 7 weeks of back & forth with them, and them swearing that this would work.  I had no luck.   I tried a different mfg and everything worked well.  I was wondering if anyone on this forum is using that particular mother board with that  particular processor with 24 GB of memory and not having any problem.  If that is the case, I would love to know the specifics about the RAM.  I don't mean to grill here, but when the manufacturer tells you it wll work and you put it in your machine and you get blue screens, random reboots, etc. you get a little frustrated.

Now that I know about this forum, I thought I would ask and save myself a lot of aggravation.

I have windows 7 ultimate, (Harm, I bought this before I started reading your forum, darn),

Processor - I795 Extreme

P6T7 WS SuperComputer

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: P6T7 WS SuperComputer to 24 gb?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              (Harm, I bought this before I started reading your forum, darn),

First of all, it is not my forum. It is Adobe's forum. It just happens that I sometimes post here and try to contribute.

Processor - I795 Extreme

That would be a typo, possibly meaning the i7-975 Extreme?

I'm still running an outdated and limited system (back in the old days, when I configured it, I called it a 'middle-of-the-road' or mediocre system) with only 12 GB memory, so I can't tell you first-hand what will work for you, but I do know that Bill Gehrke, my partner in crime with the PPBM5 Benchmark, uses G.Skill Trident memory and has no problems whatsoever. ADK usually suggests Mushkin.