3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 7:20 PM by Dave LaRonde

Ram Preview only part of Composition

MarcBosscher Level 1

Might be a stupid question but I couldn't find it anywhere in the help files, do I have to RAM Preview from the current time to the end of the composition?  Is there a way I can preview say.....the next 5 seconds?

Just trying to sync audio and graphics and there has to be a better way to do it than RAM Preview over and over.

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Ram Preview only part of Composition
          TimeRemapper Level 4

You could set your work area, or just interrupt the preview by tapping the space bar when the green line (cached) gets to a point in time that you feel is sufficient. You could also preview audio only by tapping the numeric keypad "." key.

• 2. Re: Ram Preview only part of Composition
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

"RAM preview a specific number of frames"

"Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while initiating a RAM preview to preview the specified number of frames up to and including the current frame. The default number of frames previewed with this command is 5. The preference for changing this number is in the Alternate RAM Preview section of the Preview preferences. (See Previews preferences.)"

• 3. Re: Ram Preview only part of Composition
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's a pretty handy thing to know: when you scrub your audio to find just the right point on your timeline, make sure the Caps Lock key is ON.  This prevents the video in the comp from updating, and it's a snap to find the right place in the audio.

Then put a marker on the timeline: Shift-0 thru Shift-9 on the ALPHANUMERIC part of the keyboard, not the numeric keypad.  You can then jump to the marker, just by hitting the 0 thru 9 keys, using the  ALPHANUMERIC part of the keyboard, not the numeric keypad.

No RAM Preview necessary!

Want to re-use those timeline markers?  Just drag 'em off way to the right in their little "timeline marker house"... I forget its proper name.  It's so difficult to remember such trivial little things without a proper graphic map of the AE interface.  Adobe USED to print them, y'know...

1 person found this helpful