9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 9:31 PM by magellan87

Pre8 will not open or create project

magellan87

This is the first time I have use Premiere Elements 8 since I upgraded my OS, and now when I try to create a new projecte it tells me "Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible.  Please use the appropriate application to open this project."

I am using a Dell Inspiron 530, with an Intel core2 quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.40GHz.  It came loaded with Vista 64bit, but I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional, and reloaded all of my software.  I downloaded and installed (I thought) pre 8.0.1, but it does not show that it is upgraded when I go to the "about" tab under Help.

I am at a loss.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
          nealeh Level 5

First reinstall PRE8. It may be as simple as a key file used by PRE being overwritten by the OS upgrade.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
            magellan87 Level 1

When I reimaged my machine, I started with a clean slate.  All software was reinstalled after OS upgrade.  I will try to reinstall Pre8 when I get home tonight.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
              nealeh Level 5

If you clean installed PRE8 after the OS upgrade it is unlikely that reinstalling it will work (although always worth a try). Work through these basics first:

• Install all Windows Updates.
              • Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
              • Run Disk Cleanup.
              • Run Defragmenter.

As for the 8.0.1 update unfortunately it doesn't update the version number. Take a look here: Did the patch install successfully?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                magellan87 Level 1

Neale, thanks for taking the time to help.  I have not checked the Windows Updates, but I did install the 8.0.1 patch and upgraded Quicktime last night.  I am using Quicktime Pro, so I don't know if it is the same version number.  There shouldn't be much to clean up or defrag, as this is a fairly recent image, but I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the link; If I ever get this up and running again, I saw some suggestions for optimizing my system that should really help.

Tim

• 5. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                  nealeh Level 5

You might also find working through this Adobe Troubleshooter helpful: Troubleshoot damaged projects | Adobe Premiere Elements

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

QuickTime Pro is just the "unlocked" version of QT Player, that you have installed. It does offer some additional neat features. Each installation of QT Player, can be unlocked by that code, as all the features are actually inside already. Usually, if one has the Pro version for say one of the 7. versions, then their Pro key will work with all 7. series of QT Player, though when one does upgrade QT Player, they usually have to enter their key again. Going back to the 5. versions of QT Player, the Pro key would not work, when Apple went to the 6. versions, and a new Pro key had to be purchased. For what I hear, that is no longer the case, and it seems that even earlier versions' Pro key will now work, even from 6. to 7., but I cannot confirm.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - while the Pro upgrade/unlock does offer additional features, the interaction with PrE will be the same, Pro, or not.

• 7. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                      magellan87 Level 1

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and...

... it worked!  I don't know why, but it is working now, so I can proceed with my project.  Thanks to Neale and Hunt for the suggestions.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as the arise.

Thanks again!

Tim

• 8. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Glad that it worked for you, and thank you for reporting. Sometimes, an installation of a program can get hosed, and by all sorts of things.

Personally, I am a big fan of the Repair Install, available with many Adobe programs, and always keep my discs handy, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Pre8 will not open or create project
                          magellan87 Level 1

Well, I may have spoken too soon.  I have only been able to start one new project and then I can only open that one.  If I try to open any other projects, or create new ones, I get the same error message.  Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe this situation.  Hopefully, I can finish the project I'm working on, and figure out a solution afterward.  Fingers crossed.

Tim