7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 5:32 AM by davidbeisner2010

Using the "Capture" Feature?

Malik Gowon

Hi all,

I'm using a Canon Vixia HF-R100 and trying to use the Capture Feature in the program, but don't know where to start? I've researched around google how to connect the video camera, but I can't get a concrete answer. The camera has a component out which I believe is an IEEE 1394 (a or b?). I trying to hook it up to my 13' MBP as well as my desktop that I think has a Firewire 400. Any help would be great.

PS - When I use this featue does it capture what the camera sees approx. 'real-time' or will I have to record first, then play it back?

• 1. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
          Keith_Clark Level 2

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but adobe's capture feature as far as I know, only works for cameras that have a FireWire out jack. Your camera does not. You really dOnt even need to worry with the capture feature. Record to your camera, hook it up to PC with USB, then copy and past the video folder on your camera over to your assets HDD, then just import that folder from assets HDD In to PPro. "capture" is mainly for dv/hdv cameras that record to dv tapes and such. Your camera is strictly flash memory, so you don't need to worry about capturing. And yes, capture is in real time.

• 2. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
            Malik Gowon Level 1

Ah, okay. I was confused because when I clicked "Go online for compatibility" in the Capture window and brought me to the Adobe site and says that Canon Vixia's are compatible.

• 3. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
              Keith_Clark Level 2

Peculiar. I don't know what all models fall under vixia in the past, I wonder if they had a dv/hdv vixia model at one time? As for right now, I don't know if a single vixia cam that is currently being sold with FireWire capability... It's just not necessary for tapeless cams.

• 4. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
                Keith_Clark Level 2

Ah! Found our culprit! :) it appears canon has 1 vixia that is dv/hdv. The

canon vixia HV40 here's the cam, and here's the connectivity review at caminfo. So based on that one camera, adobe just said vixia is compatible. I wonder why they used a blanket phrase instead f saying "the HV40" oh well. There's your answer :)
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Capturing can only be done with tape based cameras and that usually means DV or HDV over firewire. Non-tape based material, such as hard disk or card based media can only be imported, usually over USB.

Canon has a number of tape based HDV cameras in the Vixia range, such as the HV-20, HV-30 and HV-40.

• 6. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

And back when HDV was still "young" those Vixia HV 20-40 models were really popular, especially to serve as "decks" for the Canon XHA1(s) since they don't record in a mode that works in standard HDV decks.

• 7. Re: Using the "Capture" Feature?
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Malik Gowon wrote:

PS - When I use this featue does it capture what the camera sees approx. 'real-time' or will I have to record first, then play it back?

The answer you were given to this question above is "yes, capture is in real-time" BUT, I think that possibly that poster misunderstood your question. I believe the OP is asking if he can use the capture feature in Premiere to record video "as the camera sees it" instead of having to go to tape/flash first, and then play it back to be captured. To my knowledge, Premiere's capture interface doesn't allow for capture of live video... for something like that you'd use OnLocation which is bundled with Premiere.