7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 7:40 AM by Van403

Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project

Van403 Level 1

I have never before had to use Dynamic Link and have very little AE experience and could not find an explanation in previous topics on this..

I have a music video which is made up of about 100 cuts all coming from a single clip that I imported. Now I know that you can send your clip to AE with Dynamic Link and it will create a new comp in a new project. My question is the following: How can I send each cut over to AE but keep them all in ONE Project (ie: Multiple comps) to keep things clean. And if I can arrange my work in this fashion, will I have to do it individually to each cut or can I somehow do it in a batch?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Using the "Replace with After Effects Composition" command will create a new comp in an open AE project; if AE isn't open, it will be opened and a new comp will be created. In short, as long as you have your one master project open, new comps will be created in that project.

There is no batch "Replace with AE Comp" command, so you would have to do this for each clip individually, or you can simply select all of your clips and use the command; this will create one comp and recreate all of your edits within it. Whatever you do, I'd recommend making a duplicate of your finished edit before using the "Replace" command; that way, you have a fallback if you need it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
            Van403 Level 1

Thanks Colin, it seemed to work the way I want it to if I select all of them and then "Replace with After Effects Composition", however, when going to AE I found that it looked as if I repeated the process (there were 3 of each compositions) Only when I unlinked the audio tracks did It smoothly transfer one comp per cut in order. Any idea as to why this happened?

Your advice has definitely helped and thank you for it. Just one other question to someone who obviously knows more than me, is there any way to batch unlink Audio from multiple clips rather than doing it one by one? When I select multiple clips the unlink option is greyed out..

• 3. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              however, when going to AE I found that it looked as if I repeated the process (there were 3 of each compositions) Only when I unlinked the audio tracks did It smoothly transfer one comp per cut in order. Any idea as to why this happened?

I'm assuming that when you say "one comp per cut" that you mean "one layer per cut," and that before you unlinked, you got three layers--correct? If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, that's sort of a quirk with the "Replace with AE comp" command; one layer is probably the video, and the other two are the audio channels. That's why you get one layer when you unlink the audio.

...is there any way to batch unlink Audio from multiple clips rather than doing it one by one? When I select multiple clips the unlink option is greyed out..

No, unfortunately, this capability is not in Premiere (sort of seems like an oversight, no?); I encourage you to make a feature request here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

However, you can kind of work around this: hold down the Alt key and lasso just the video portions of your clips. This will select just the video, so that when you use the "Replace" command, only the video will be sent to AE. All of this is why I suggest duplicating your sequence before you start DLing comps...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
                Van403 Level 1

Aah yes, my apologies I meant layers not comps. Seems unfortunate but as you suggested holding alt will actually make it even better as it will mean that I wont have to relink the audio back in Premiere.

Feature Request: Submitted.

Thank you for the helpful advice.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
                  Van403 Level 1

Oh, one other question to which I cant seem to find the answer.. Once doing the "batch Link" it turns all my clips (on the same video track in Premiere) into one pink clip (implying one comp I assume) How do I retain (in Premiere) the changes made in AE but then go back to the original state of multiple clips, say I have to readjust where I cut something for example?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

That's why I suggested duplicating your original sequence before using Dynamic Link/Replace with AE Comp. Once you use that command, your edits are gone in Premiere; you can do some degree of re-editing in AE, but you are likely to find that a painful experience.

At least between PPro and AE in this fashion, Dynamic Link is sort of a one-way street. Careful planning (and making a backup, as I suggested two or three times ) is the best medicine.

• 7. Re: Dynamic Link: Multiple Cuts from one clip to one AE Project
                      Van403 Level 1

Oh ok cool. I did make the backup but was hoping I could run between the two and make changes on both sides. Will just go refine the work before I go to AE then.

Thanks again for all the help!