10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 10:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please

RobLupy

Hi can anyone tell me how to convert files from PE4 to PE5 and vice versa? many thanks

• 1. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, there is no PrE 5. Both 5 & 6 were skipped, to allow PrE to catch-up to PSE, which had gone two numerals up on its video editing "cousin." The versions went from PrE 4 to PrE 7, and is now PrE 9.

In many cases, a PrE 4 PREL (Project file) will Open in PrE 7, but there can be issues, especially with Effects, like Instant Movie, Themes, and some Effects. Also, each version adds some items, and moves things about. Going from older to newer will often work, but it's still a good idea to finish a Project in the version, in which it was started.

Going backwards is almost always impossible.

The best advice, after "finish in the version, in which the Project was started," is to either edit completely in one version, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI, or similar, and then Import the resultant AV file into the other version. This goes both ways. The alternative to this is to edit very loosely, with plenty of Frames per Clip to Trim, and no Transitions, Export/Share the same way, and finish the fine-editing in the other version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're talking about Premiere Elements project files, it's not possible -- since there technically was no Premiere Elements 5!

(To catch up with Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements jumped right from version 4 to version 7.)

Otherwise, I think you may have the wrong forum.

• 3. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
              RobLupy Level 1

Thanks guys, actually i was just posting on behalf of a frend and they have CS5 (not PE5!) is it possible to edit files using this software or will this not work?

• 4. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that is another "beast," altogether. CS5 is PrPro, PrE's "big-brother."

It's Project files will NOT work in PrE, any version. Now, the other way, may, but may not work. I have done successful tests with PrE 4.0 Projects into PrPro 2.0 (pretty much contemporaries), with no issues, but these were simple PrE Projects with no Instant Movies, Themes or many Effects - just Cuts and Transitions (simple ones). I tried with PrE 7 & PrE 8 Projects, and it was a no go. I do not know if, for instance, a PrE 8 Project would Open with CS4, or CS5 PrPro. It might, but probably not.

The best that one can do, to insure compatibility is to Export/Share, and then Import the AV file into a new Project in the appropriate program. That will work.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                  RobLupy Level 1

Thanks Hunt - very helpful cheers

• 6. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome, and sorry that there is not 100% compatibility between all versions of PrE and PrPro, but that is just the way that it is.

With still images and Photoshop - Photoshop Elements, one is dealing with just the image files. With the video editors, they are dealing with the XML Project files, so incompatibility is easier to understand.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                      Murphy84

Hi guys, the orginal post was written on my behalf. I'm basically using Adobe Prem Elements 7 in uni, saving my project to a memory stick and trying to use Adobe Prem Pro CS5 to work on the project at home, is this possibe? I'm sorry if i'm coming across as computer inept...but Iam!

• 8. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                        nealeh Level 5

No. You might be able to open it in PrPro but, once saved, PRE can no longer use it.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                          Murphy84 Level 1

Great, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

• 10. Re: Converting PE4 to PE5 and vice versa help please
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for dropping by. I have only tested PrE 4.0 Projects in the older PrPro CS2 version. Those simple Projects did Open fine in PrPro. However, with PrE 7 & 8 Projects, my PrPro (remember - older version) would NOT Open those. With versions of the two programs, that are more contemporary with each other, things might well work, as they did with PrE 4.0 and PrPro CS2 - I just do not know.

As Neale points out, if the PrE 7 Project does Open in PrPro CS5, once you do a Save there, that Project files (PRPROJ) will NOT Open in PrE.

As mentioned above, a viable workflow would be to Export/Share that PrE 7 Project to an AV files, such as DV-AVI, and then Import THAT AV file into PrPro. Once edited there, the same Export operation would work to get that AV file into PrE 7, in a new Project that matches the specs. of that Exported AV file.

Also remember, Effects, such as Instant Movie, and Themes, do not exist in PrPro, CS5 or earlier. Those will be a problem. Also, there are some more traditional Effects, and probably some Transitions, that do not exist in one, or the other. Those will cause issues. As a for instance, the New Blue FX material will not be in CS5. There are others, as well, so keeping the Projects simple will go a long way. Also, with the Export/Share and then Import, any/all Effects and Transitions will be rendered into the resultant AV file, so they will be included, not causing any issues, BUT will be incorporated into that AV file, so cannot be individually edited.

Good luck,

Hunt