12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 12:32 AM by peterheckert

Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking

cppasm Level 3

On non-SSE2 CPUs (AMD Athlon XP for example) Adobe Camera Raw crashes when changing masking slider in the sharpening tool.

To completely fix this problem, you should install patched Camera Raw plug-in.

Download link, 32-bit only: http://www.multiupload.com/SDPSHS6IK8

Note: USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

While it works just great for me, I can not promise anything.

And note that this is NOT official fix for the problem, it needs to be fixed by developers so it's better to send bug reports.

This solution can be used while there are no better solutions from Adobe.

Just overwrite original plug-in, by default it is located in the: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats

This will fix the problem for all CS5 applications: Photoshop, Bridge, etc because they all use this plug-in.

Sorry,  but I will not patch previous versions, so you will need to update  Camera Raw to version 6.3 before using patched plug-in.

This problem is present in all Camera Raw 6.x and appears only on non-SSE2 CPUs.

You can read more details here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/733986?tstart=0

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
          cppasm Level 3

Does Adobe guys read this?

This bug lasts from first 6.0 release to the current one - 6.6

I clearly understand that only small amount of AMD CPUs (and so ACR users) are affected, but it's not CPU related bug, it's access violation to unallocated memory.

If someone interested, I can provide detailed information about relative virtual address where this error occures and why, along with minidumps of crashed ACR.

If Adobe developers can provide PDB file - I will even be able to tell variable name of pointer which is used without intialization (attempt to access data using zero pointer).

I have patched the cause of this error in the binary (can be downloaded from Lightroom forum topic, link is in the first message) and will do this in the future, but it's much better to fix this bug in the sources.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
            Level 4

cppasm wrote:

Does Adobe guys read this?

Eventually, yes.  The ACR team is relatively active on this particular forum.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
              cppasm Level 3

Well, let's hope they will see this thread someday...

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                DmanH Level 1

This has been happening to me since upgrading to camera raw 6.6 on my  AMD 1055T Windows 7 PC.  Extremely frustrating indeed.

Seems to happen more when moving sliders above the 50% mark in both sharpening and noise reduction.  This is the only event that ever causes the PC to crash and restart.

I have not found any posted solution on the net, so I am patiently waiting for Adobe to provide a fix.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

I would not hold my breath, as the system requirements state an Athlon 64 as a minimum...

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

DmanH wrote:

This is the only event that ever causes the PC to crash and restart.

Nothing an application does should ever cause your PC to crash.  It almost has to be a driver or a hardware fault - or an OS bug - that does that.  Look to updating your drivers - e.g., the display driver - in order to correct the problem.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                      Level 7

Most often system shutdowns or restarts are caused by defective hardware: bad RAM, bad motherboards, bad power supplies.

Less often, they can be caused by OS bugs and bugs in low level drivers.

But they cannot be caused by bugs in applications.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                        DmanH Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I have tested memory, video drivers are up-to-date, and I have plenty of power.  Somewhere there is a quirk, and I have a feeling it will be very difficult to pin point. cheers

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try reseating all your add-in cards and perhaps the RAM chips on the MB, and see if things could be overheated/undercooled.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

It's been my experience, throughout my 36 year career in computer engineering, that RAM tests almost always succeed even when the RAM has intermittent errors. 

Do you have ECC (error correcting) RAM?  A system set up to use ECC RAM and with ECC RAM installed will correct some errors as it runs, and will halt and immediately tell you when an uncorrectable RAM error has occurred - which is FAR better than trying to forge ahead with bad data (which will ultimately crash it somewhere).  RAM errors happen more often than you'd think, probably because it's the one piece of technology being pushed right to the blistering limits in most computers.  Even if the chance of a RAM error is one in a billion, keep in mind that literally billions of RAM reads and writes happen every second.

Every future computer system I'll have will have ECC RAM, as do my current ones.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                              DmanH Level 1

Thank you for your advice.  My memory is not ECC it is Kingston HyperX KHX 1600 2 x 4GB DDR3. 

After reading the new posts I decided to get serious about the "WIndows stop error" I was experiencing and being frustrated with on a regular basis.  Now "Murphy's Law" has come along, and I am unable to trigger the stop error - go figure?  Has anything on my system changed?? -> no.

So if/when this re-occurs I will try reseating the components as mentioned by ssprengel. For now, I thank you for your replies.  regards Derek www.naturediver.com

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 6.3 crashes when using sharpening masking
                                peterheckert Level 1

Hi,

I had a similar problem with another software and disabling the "remap memory hole" option in the BIOS fixed it.

This was a preliminary solution only.

Finally I updated the BIOS and then I could re-enable the memory hole option.

Many PC's are delivered with outdated BIOS versions and with all my PC's I had the experience that installing the latest BIOS will fix some unexplained crashes or problems like audio crackles or else.

Same for the graphics card driver, because this accesses shared memory or uses DMA.

The graphics card drivers are not always updated automatically, the vendors (ATI, NVIDIA) have newer versions available than Windows Update.

Best,

Peter

Message was edited by: peterheckert