14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 8:05 AM by BradshawWhite

Areca Causing BSOD

BradshawWhite

Hi, I manged to get my hands on (what I thought) was a brand new Areca 1680ix-16 from ebay. It was obvious when i recieved it wasn't new but the seller is going to either refund me part of it or give me a full refund.

Anyway, I stuck it into my EVGA Sr-2 tonight and as soon as windows tries to boot it blue screens. It's also beeping on and off from boot onwards. I assumed that was because no array is set up yet.

It's gving a 0x00000124 bsod and as soon as it's removed all is fine. Has anyone used this card with a EVGA SR-2 or does this sound like a return?

I also noticed there's no sign of the f6 prompt mentioned in the manual to get into the areca bios.

Would appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try resetting your BIOS to factory defaults. 124 errors often happen when overclocking and voltages are not sufficiently raised.

• 2. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
            BradshawWhite Level 1

Hi Harm, I haven't actully got a chance to overclock my sr-2 yet, but will try resetting the bios and see what happens.

I've removed all other cards apart from the gpu and tried different slots without sucess. Going to put it in another machine and see if that helps.

Thanks, Michael.

• 3. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If it does not work in another machine, that is a clear indication that something wrong with the card. If that is the case, I hope you can get a full refund.

It is these kind of stories that make me wary of E-Bay.

• 4. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                BradshawWhite Level 1

yeah, i don't think a refund will be any problem as it's a main retailer that has an ebay store. They admit it was a mistake to list it as used and so gave me a decent amount back although a refund is still an option. If it is a bad card how do you get it replaced under warranty? I was on areca's site and can't find any info. I could always get a refund but got this for a bargain price and there's still almost two years warranty on it so would like to get it replaced rather than having to pay full price for another one.

M.

• 5. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Let's see if your creative skills are matched by your negotiating skills.

If you are married, you can let your wife do the initial negotiations, then come in to iron out the wrinkles and leave with all parties happy.

• 6. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why don't you just set up your array in the Areca BIOS.  When the initial Areca screen comes up hit "TAB"  Then check to see if your disks are all present and Free.

• 7. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

The OP posted:

as soon as windows tries to boot it blue screens. It's also beeping on and off from boot onwards

Your reply:

Why don't you just set up your array in the Areca BIOS.  When the initial Areca screen comes up hit "TAB"  Then check to see if your disks are all present and Free.

has one major problem: The OP does not come to that stage, as far as I understand it.

• 8. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                        BradshawWhite Level 1

Harm is right, I don't even see the bios prompt on my sr-2. I put the card into my old precision 690 and the very first screen you see on boot is the areca bios.

I need to investigate why it's not appearing on the sr-2 though I've now thinking it might be appearing and dissappearing before the screens turn on.

Will post back asap but appreciate the suggestions so far. really want to get it working as raid 5 on software is painfully slow.

M.

• 9. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Grasping at straws here, but your system may be so fast that it hardly displays the Areca BIOS screen before moving on to the next screen. Can you try hitting TAB repeatedly during the boot sequence to get into the Areca BIOS. Does this help?

• 10. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                            BradshawWhite Level 1

Hi Harm, I've tried that but so far no luck. The manual says the mcraid bios

prompt should appear for 9 seconds but it's definatey not there.

I did manage to get into windows for a few minutes but device manager didn't see the card at all.

I would imagine that because no bios prompt is there and windows doesn't see it it's a hardware issue with the Sr-2.

I'll go over to the EVGA forums and ask there. It's a little frustrating because one of the reasons I moved to the new computer is because my old one had no spare slots for an areca card. A bit of time on google shows some people running the 1880 on this board but can't find anyone with a 1680

Thanks for your help. If I find a solution with EVGA I'll post back.

• 11. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

You raised a valid point, the PCI-e connector on the mobo. The fact that the card is recognized on your old Dell tells us it works, Maybe the SR2 is at fault here. I'm not familiar with this specific board, but do you happen to have another PCI-e slot to try it in?

• 12. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                                BradshawWhite Level 1

yeah, The Sr-2 has 8 pci-e slots, I tried it in a number of different slots and no change. I made a post on the evga forums and hopefully someone will answer. There are a few people on there with this boards using a 8 port version of the 1680 so I imagine it is possible.

The EVGA Sr-2 is the new dual xeon board. I just looked and the current top performer on the ppbm for cs5 uses it although they don't seem to be using an areca controller

Thanks for you help Harm, i appreciate your time!

• 13. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Check your PM.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Areca Causing BSOD
                                    BradshawWhite Level 1

Just for the record, it seems the card is faulty and is overheating in the dell. It'll be going back to areca for a replacement.

Hopefully when the new one comes back all will be good!