10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 5:20 AM by Steve Grisetti

Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered

Fungi2

Last post I saw was ArtsForHearts 12/8/09 having the same problem. It seems as though the use of the Fx Shadow/Highlight on two layers above each other with different settings make one of them flicker. If all the values are the same you are good to go. I like to use it to give a better look to talking heads where the lighting was not the best. I track matte an area over a face with a little Shadow/Highlight. Or multiple layers are used to airbrush zits and enhance the lighting look. It has to be a software problem. Anybody use Shadow/Highlight this way and get flicker and wierd shaded boxes?

• 1. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
          hpmoon Level 1

Obviously, Adobe needs to fix this instead of us continuing to  accommodate their sloppy testing with work-arounds.  Shadow/Highlight  flickers even in full manual mode.

• 2. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, here you are again.

As PrE S & H has no manual setting, not sure how you can bother to comment on how it works on manual.

Did you just do a ton of Copy/Pastes?

Maybe in one of your many PrPro  threads, you can bother to comment on what you are doing, and with what.

Otherwise, maybe just go to the Video Lounge and vent, as you are adding nothing to any of these thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
              hpmoon Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Ah, here you are again.

As PrE S & H has no manual setting, not sure how you can bother to comment on how it works on manual.

Did you just do a ton of Copy/Pastes?

Maybe in one of your many PrPro  threads, you can bother to comment on what you are doing, and with what.

Otherwise, maybe just go to the Video Lounge and vent, as you are adding nothing to any of these thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

Yes, I'm posting wherever this problem comes up.  Of course.  Because no one actively maintains this board and merges threads, so users come across one and might miss useful information in a parallel thread.  In other words, the Adobe Forums are a sloppy, lazy mess.

This  surely won't result in any further diagnosis, because this is obviously  just a plain and simple Adobe-typical bug that they don't take action  on because forum mods here simply defend Adobe endlessly with "I never  saw that," but anyway:

1. For the last time, we are all talking about a  problem in FULL manual mode.  It is not productive to say that this  could be caused by automatic settings.

2. Tons of people have this problem.  That you don't see it, doesn't make it disappear.  Google this.

3. The source is an MPEG-2 720p file.

4. The sequence settings match that:  720p.

5. I've tried with MPE GPU on and off, though it would be an unacceptable bug if that mattered.

6. I have tried the bogus rumored fix of changing the inexplicably lame Black Clip 0.01% default to 0% -- no dice.

7. It is the only effect applied to the entire clip.  It is at the native resolution and framerate, with blending off.

8. The Shadow/Highlight settings are static, without variation due to keyframing.

9. I am exporting back to H.264 1280x720p, Level 3.1, average bitrate 8 Mbps.

10.  This doesn't just occur at export; it also simply shows up as bands  dividing pre- and post-effect during pause on the timeline.

• 4. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Because no one actively maintains this board and merges threads, so users come across one and might miss useful information in a parallel thread.  In other words, the Adobe Forums are a sloppy, lazy mess.

Obviously, I do not see things, as you do. I feel that the MOD's do a great job of maintaining the threads, and do branch them, when necessary. Can they be everywhere? Can they monitor each and every thread perfectly? No. Each has a real-world job, with clients to maintain. They do, what they do, in their spare time, while also trying to provide as much help to all, as is possible.

I am sorry that you are having issues with S & H, but other than when run on Auto, I have not experienced the problems that you are seeing. That is not to say that you are not experiencing them, but just that I have never encountered the issue, and use S & H very often, with different materials - though I do usually convert non-standard footage to work best in either flavor of Premiere.

I've tried with MPE GPU on and off, though it would be an unacceptable bug if that mattered.

As PrE does not have MPE, that will not make any difference in this thread.

Have you read Todd Kopriva's Blog Post on H & S?

As Jeff Bellune suggested, did you file a Feature Request/Bug Report. That will very likely land on Todd's desk, after it goes through the initial channels. If you can detail your issues, I assure you that Adobe will begin working on first duplicating the issue, and then fixing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Bill.

I've never quite understood how people who hate the software and hate the forum find the time to drop by just to tell us so.

I hate KFC, but I don't feel the need to drop into the restaurants regularly just to tell everyone who works there that I do.

But oh well. As long as they don't get in the way of the efforts of most of the forum visitors to actually help other forum visitors, I suppose there's no harm in letting them vent. To a point anyway.

• 6. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
                    hpmoon Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Because no one actively maintains this board and merges threads, so users come across one and might miss useful information in a parallel thread.  In other words, the Adobe Forums are a sloppy, lazy mess.

Obviously, I do not see things, as you do. I feel that the MOD's do a great job of maintaining the threads, and do branch them, when necessary. Can they be everywhere? Can they monitor each and every thread perfectly? No. Each has a real-world job, with clients to maintain. They do, what they do, in their spare time, while also trying to provide as much help to all, as is possible.

I am sorry that you are having issues with S & H, but other than when run on Auto, I have not experienced the problems that you are seeing. That is not to say that you are not experiencing them, but just that I have never encountered the issue, and use S & H very often, with different materials - though I do usually convert non-standard footage to work best in either flavor of Premiere.

I've tried with MPE GPU on and off, though it would be an unacceptable bug if that mattered.

As PrE does not have MPE, that will not make any difference in this thread.

Have you read Todd Kopriva's Blog Post on H & S?

As Jeff Bellune suggested, did you file a Feature Request/Bug Report. That will very likely land on Todd's desk, after it goes through the initial channels. If you can detail your issues, I assure you that Adobe will begin working on first duplicating the issue, and then fixing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

First off, I must admit that the mistake was mine in posting here; I did a search that seemed limited to Premiere Pro, but this Premiere Elements thread came up in my search results, leading me to think it would be relevant to my bug report.

That said, I do think that the mods -- who provide suspicious disclaimers about having no personal interest in Adobe -- fail to meet even minimum standards of forum maintenance compared to those of organizations or even user groups dramatically smaller than Adobe.  Updating original posts, encouraging that maintenance by users, merging threads, marking solutions, etc. etc. and etc. are elementary features of any useful forum.  This forum has NONE of those virtues, and Adobe looks lame as a result despite their disclaimers.  So criticism is absolutely appropriate, notwithstanding the potentially good intentions of people who may or may not be volunteering their time with zero compensation of any kind.  (I'm not sure what the caption "Community Professional" means, though, for Mr. Bellune.  Professionals get paid as far as I understand the term.)

Lastly, I have no idea why you and Jeff keeping linking over to the help file for the Shadow/Highlight effect.  There is absolutely no bit of information there that could lead to any resolution of this issue.  It's an example of why people can get so inflamed here; the regulars purport to offer answers (a) without thinking about whether it will actually address the problem; (b) defending Adobe as a starting point; and (c) taking the easiest path of citing already-established generalities.

This is a bug, plain and simple.  It dates back years.  I have submitted repeated bug reports.  Many, many other users have too.  This is a simple case of Adobe letting the issue slide.  Like a billion others.  One tiny example:  ever wondered what those Auto Black Levels and Auto White Levels buttons do in the Fast Color Corrector?  Absolutely nothing.  That's been the case for several years now.  Great job, Adobe.

• 7. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You are entitled to your opinion, regarding the forums. I happen to disagree completely, but then that is MY opinion, and is not really germane here.

encouraging that maintenance by users, merging threads, marking solutions

Let's take a look at these:

• Non-MOD's cannot maintain the forums. The only exception is that several Adobe employees have MOD consoles, and CAN maintain the forums, but they are not officially MOD's.
                      • They do merge and also branch threads, and quite often.
                      • Only the OP can mark a thread as "Answered," or award points. Even MOD's, and Adobe employees cannot do that.

This forum has NONE of those virtues, and Adobe looks lame as a result despite their disclaimers.  So criticism is absolutely appropriate, notwithstanding the potentially good intentions of people who may or may not be volunteering their time with zero compensation of any kind.

Fair enough, though still your personal opinion. However, these product forums are not the appropriate place to point up the issues with the forums. There is a special location for that, the Forum Comments forum, which is fairly active, and is frequented by Adobe-Admin (John C.), who basically runs the forums. John C. is not a MOD, but I feel that he has a MOD console. Jochem van Dieten is the MOD. Any complaints that you have with the forums is best posted there, as they will be seen by people, who run the forums.

Note: sometime in Sept., if things hold, there will be new forum software, though I am not sure if the changes will impress you. Only time will tell.

I'm not sure what the caption "Community Professional" means, though, for Mr. Bellune.  Professionals get paid as far as I understand the term.

The Community Professional is a badge awarded to fhose, who have taken and passed either one of the ACA tests, or the ACE test, or the ACI exam. Jeff is a video professional, as producer, videographer, and editor, plus an author of still the best book on Adobe Encore. He is not paid by Adobe. He might get an Adobe baseball cap, or sweatshirt, from time to time, but he gets nothing for his volunteer work on all of the PrPro sub-forums, plus the Encore forum. Besides his real-life business, his tutorials, and his MOD duties, he is also a highly valued contributor to all of those forums.

Lastly, I have no idea why you and Jeff keeping linking over to the help file for the Shadow/Highlight effect.  There is absolutely no bit of information there that could lead to any resolution of this issue.  It's an example of why people can get so inflamed here; the regulars purport to offer answers (a) without thinking about whether it will actually address the problem; (b) defending Adobe as a starting point; and (c) taking the easiest path of citing already-established generalities.

While I cannot speak for Jeff, my intention was to make sure that you had all of the necessary details on the Effect, so that when you file the Feature Request/Bug Report, you are not reporting OE, regarding a setting. As that does not appear to be the case, then I would file that Bug Report, with all pertinant details. As I said, that will very likely land on Todd's desk, and he will then be able to comment directly on what is being done to fix the Bug.

This is a bug, plain and simple.  It dates back years.  I have submitted repeated bug reports.  Many, many other users have too.  This is a simple case of Adobe letting the issue slide.  Like a billion others.  One tiny example:  ever wondered what those Auto Black Levels and Auto White Levels buttons do in the Fast Color Corrector?  Absolutely nothing.  That's been the case for several years now.  Great job, Adobe.

Per your suggestion, I did  Google this Bug, and other than the posts, to which you replied, plus one other, did not find the many, many others.

"Billions," are your normally prone to hyperbole, or is this a one-off instance?

If all of the people, who you claim have filed Bug Reports, if there is a fix, I find it so very odd, that Adobe has been dropping the ball, and since forever. I have seen Todd, Dennis, Kevin, Jeremy, Wil and others, jump onto Bugs, and usually within an update, or perhaps two, things get ironed out. I'd file that Bug Report for however many times it is now for you, and then watch those PrPro threads, to get Todd's comments on getting things fixed. Be sure to give all possible details, so that Adobe can duplicate the Bug, and then begin working on it. Unlike some frustrated speculation, I know that Adobe takes Bug reports very seriously.

Good luck, and let's hope that Adobe finally comes through for you.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered

Meantime, please feel free to post a link to your web site, hp. Ideally one that you spend a good 20 hours a week one with no compensation whatsoever.

We'll be glad to thoroughly criticize it for you.

• 9. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered
                          hpmoon Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Meantime, please feel free to post a link to your web site, hp. Ideally one that you spend a good 20 hours a week one with no compensation whatsoever.

We'll be glad to thoroughly criticize it for you.

Not caring to spend any needless time quipping back at that, I'll just lug out the obvious moniker to describe your posture:  "Fanboy."

And just remember that Adobe is a massive for-profit corporation.

• 10. Re: Shadow/Highlight Flickers when layered

>And just remember that Adobe is a massive for-profit corporation.

And that's a bad thing?

Most successful companies I know of do prefer not to operate at a loss. But I don't know. Maybe the place you work for prefers to lose money and you're more than happy to give all of your pay to charity.