4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 7:45 AM by Cris is Bliss

Unknown expression

Cris is Bliss Level 1

I was looking at some notes I made  last year and came across an expression I wrote down.  But I didn't  write down what property is used on anything else.  I scribbled  something about Duration equaling frame rate.

Can anyone figure how and what it is applied to.

Thanks in Advance

the express is:

thisComp.frameDuration

• 1. Re: Unknown expression
          elaine montoya Level 3

Expressions are in 'dot' notation - so the first part refers to the comp the expression it is attached to (this comp). The second part is the value you are looking for. In this case, it is the frame duration.

Other examples are:

thisComp.width - which gets the value of the width of the composition

thisComp.numLayers - which returns the number of layers in your current composition.

Make sense?

Good luck!

elaine

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unknown expression
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you for the feedback,

I think understand how to read it, but I can't figure out where (to what property) do i apply it.

I believe its saying make the property that it is applied to equal to the frame duration of this composition.  I assum that the frame duration is the length of the composition as set in the Composition Setting Dialogue.

Since I dont use expression that much and even less when I wrote down the expression, I guessing it was being applied to a property that I would regularly animate.  But for the life if me I can imagine under what circumstances would I need a Property to equal the composition duration.  Maybe it could be referring to the length of a layer.

I don't know.

• 3. Re: Unknown expression
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Frame duration is the duration of a discrete frame in fractions of time, i.e. in a 30fps comp, frame duration would be 1sec/30 = 0.033sec. The property as such is read only and is often used in counters and loops.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Unknown expression
                Cris is Bliss Level 1

Ahhh.   Thank you

I must have written this down when I did a tutorial that had something to do with a counter.