8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 7:02 PM by Bill Seper

Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?

Bill Seper Level 1

Something that's been talked about lately in another forum I attend is that the preview window in Sony Vegas has about 10% less contrast compared to... well just about any other NLE out there including CS5. Here's an image that was posted on a blog showing a capture from the Vegas preview window (left) versus one in another NLE (right). Supposedly most, if not all, NLEs will look like the one on the right. Someone from Sony said that basically their's was better than everyone else's and was set to accomodate more professional standard monitors. Can this possibly be true? I find it hard to believe that virtually every other NLE out there has its preview window's color space/contrast scheme set-up incorrectly. First, it would require that everybody who has Vegas go out and buy a pro monitor set to match Sony's preview window, and obviously few people buying the product have the money to do that. Secondly, an argument was made that any video produced in Vegas would look different in every other video program you use, and we all switch between programs for various things, so it would seem to me that it's best if all NLEs have preview windows that are set the same.

So I guess I'd like to know if Sony is correct about their preview window being set correctly while everyone else's is wrong, and if there's any kind of standard for preview windows in NLEs? I don't monitor on an external monitor anymore since I went HD, but I'd like to one day, and now I don't know what to buy or even what to look for.

combined.jpg

• 1. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
          shooternz Level 6

Starts and ends here no matter how or what you monitor with.

http://spareroommedia.com/video/monitor_setup.html

• 2. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
            Bill Seper Level 1

True, but then every time you switch between apps, you'll have to recalibrate the monitor. Not something I ever had to worry about with Premiere. Also, I'm assuming that Vegas will add that 10% contrast to an external monitor also, no?

• 3. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
              shooternz Level 6

Why would anyone add 10% contrast?

The monitor reference as per link is the standard  set up.

Why would any NLE "fudge"  the images (contrast) that were properly exposed by a cameraman and provide an editor ( or Grader)  with faulty data to work with.

• 4. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
                Bill Seper Level 1

Add 10% to an external monitor do you mean? I don't know, but then, why would they add it to the program's preview window within the app? It's been suggested that they used a different color space for it than what CS5 et al use, but I find it hard to believe that simply using another color space would throw the contrast that far off. Even so, what's the point? Think of all the programs you have that feature a preview window. Not only NLEs but things like encoders, DVD authorings apps, DVD rippers, Flash, on and on. Vegas has a preview window that is lighter than all of them. What's the point? Seems really silly to me.

• 5. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  it would require that everybody who has Vegas go out and buy a pro monitor

Not just Vegas.  That is the general wisdom no matter what NLE you use.  The internal monitors are best used for content viewing, not quality control.

• 6. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
                    Bill Seper Level 1

But the thing I'm thinking of most is all the people who use one of Sony's cheaper editors than Pro. I doubt very much that someone using something like Vegas Studio knows anything about calibrating montors and is probably just using their computer monitor anyway. They get things looking the way they want in the program's preview window and then after rendering/exporting their finished movie find that it looks too dark now in something like Windows Media Player or on their TV if they made a DVD. It makes no sense. Nobody buying a $75 program is going to be using a pro monitor.

And why would anybody want an NLE that's going to force them to readjust the monitor every time they switch applications?

• 7. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Nobody buying a $75 program is going to be using a pro monitor.

There's the difference between the amateur and the professional.  You'd naturally expect better results from the pro, who knows about these things.

• 8. Re: Any Video Monitoring Standards in NLEs?
                        Bill Seper Level 1

I hear ya Jim. Their consumer versions of Vegas all have the same lighter than normal preview window as Pro. If you search the net you'll find people have been complaining about this for a few years now. It seems to me that they're just running away customers. Personally, I'm glad CS5, VDub, Flash, and all the other apps I have with a preview window all look the same, but to each his own I guess. Some people swear by Vegas. It's easy to use, but I find that preview window a pain myself.