3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 1:57 PM by Jens Wegar

Import/use SVG in Catalyst project

Jens Wegar Level 1

I'm using Inkscape to draw some icons that I would like to convert into skins for use with spark components. As I understand it, Flash catalyst should be the option for me to convert the designs into skins. But I can't for the life of me figure out how I can import an SVG file into Catalyst and keep it's vector properties. I can copy/paste the graphics, but then Catalyst converts it into a bitmap before pasting it into the project.

Any suggestions? An no, using Illustrator instead of Inkscape is not an option in this case.

• 1. Re: Import/use SVG in Catalyst project
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

So simply importing the SVG into Illustrator and saving it as an Illustrator file to import into FC is not an option?

I found this on the inkscape forum: http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=970 about using SVG in Adobe products.

• 2. Re: Import/use SVG in Catalyst project
            Jens Wegar Level 1

The forum link provided some good ideas, but not quite what I am looking for. The UniConverter option seems like the best bet (converting to an AI file and using that as a base for a new project in Catalyst), however it says it supports an old format of ai so not sure it works. There's no ready package for OS X and it seems to be quite a bit of hassle to get it up and running even to just try if it works. Will look into that though.

Perhaps a slight clarification is in place also. My end goal is to create a skin class out of the graphics I've created in Inkscape. The reason I do not want to go through Illustrator is because a) I don't have Illustrator installed; b) I don't want to invest in Illustrator just in order to use it as an svg->fxg converter; and c) I want to explore a work flow for creating graphics that would use open source software as far as possible. Even Catalyst is for me basically just a way of converting svg into fxg, but Catalyst just seems to provide enough simplifying of creating skin classes for it to be worth it.

• 3. Re: Import/use SVG in Catalyst project
              Jens Wegar Level 1

A bit more info, seems the folks at Inkscape are working on an fxg export extension, in which case it removes the need of svg import in Catalyst and any other hackish stuff. Still of course remains to be seen if the generated fxg will be usable within Catalyst.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/625140?comments=all

From the looks of it, the extension is not very far away from being testable. So I guess I'll just wait for that to complete. In the mean time, I'd still be interested to know why Catalyst doesn't support SVG better?