5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 10:22 AM by dogandponyshow

Default session start time

dogandponyshow

Just trying out Audition since a studio we are working with uses it.  We're heavy Nuendo/Euphonix users and we also use ProTools with Peak and Digital Performer tossed in there for good measure.  Audition seems pretty nice, definitely some features that could make it part of our regular workflow.  One thing I'm having trouble with right now though, in a professional post production environment session start times are always at 1 hour and we use a lead in at either 59:50:00 or 59:10:00 depending on whether it's a radio or TV/film job.  I'm editing some voice for an amusement park style experience so I'd like my session to start at 59:50:00 with first frame of audio at 1:00:00:00 and I can't figure out how to do this.  I have the session timecode set for 29.97 non drop and I set preferences for a start time of 59:50:00 but when I go to the session it starts at 00:00:00:00.  Can someone point me to the proper session setup dialog?  Thanks, John.

John McClain

The Dog and Pony Show

Las Vegas, NV

Apple OSX 10.5.8/2x3 GHz Quad-Core Xeon/4 gig RAM

• 1. Re: Default session start time
          dogandponyshow Level 1

Well it took a couple of restarts of audition but now the default start time is working correctly.  Thanks for looking.

• 2. Re: Default session start time
            Charles VW Adobe Employee

Thanks for trying the Beta.

dogandponyshow wrote:

Audition seems pretty nice, definitely some features that could make it part of our regular workflow.

Anything in particular?

dogandponyshow wrote:

One thing I'm having trouble with right now though, in a professional post production environment session start times are always at 1 hour and we use a lead in at either 59:50:00 or 59:10:00 depending on whether it's a radio or TV/film job.  I'm editing some voice for an amusement park style experience so I'd like my session to start at 59:50:00 with first frame of audio at 1:00:00:00 and I can't figure out how to do this.  I have the session timecode set for 29.97 non drop and I set preferences for a start time of 59:50:00 but when I go to the session it starts at 00:00:00:00.  Can someone point me to the proper session setup dialog?  Thanks, John.

So if you're always using the same offset for all your projects, you may set a default (which it sounds like you already found this).  Each new session created after this should take this value.

Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 10.27.28 PM.jpg

But if you want to change the start offset of the "current" sesison, you should look in the Properties Panel (Window > Properties)

Screen shot 2010-12-09 at 10.28.25 PM.jpg

We should also be able to import session start offsets from OMF files as well as Final Cut Pro XML interchange files.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Default session start time
              dogandponyshow Level 1

Charles VW wrote:

Thanks for trying the Beta.

dogandponyshow wrote:

Audition seems pretty nice, definitely some features that could make it part of our regular workflow.

Anything in particular?

Yes, we are really digging the spectral editing and cleanup features.  I'm opening up an older project this morning that is full of problematic sync and VO; it has already been through Izotope RX, Waves C4 and other tools, I'm very curious to see how Audition's spectral functions work on this.  Based on what I was able to accomplish on the other job I'd rate this up with Izotope RX v1 which is high praise.  As for other functions, it really needs a minimum of HUI functionality to be used day to day for tasks other than restoration and mastering, our workflow and track counts demand control surfaces and we're already heavily invested in Euphonix with one Artist setup and two MC Pros.  Beyond that, this is really looking like a tool we'd like to add to our arsenal, will be very interested to see how it develops.  One last thing, what about AAF import and export?  We never see OMF's from Avid, only FCP.  Thanks, John.

And PS, thanks for the tip regarding session setup times, very helpful!

The Dog and Pony Show

Las Vegas, NV USA

Message was edited by: dogandponyshow

• 4. Re: Default session start time
                Charles VW Adobe Employee

dogandponyshow wrote:

One last thing, what about AAF import and export?  We never see OMF's from Avid, only FCP.  Thanks, John.

Believe it or not, many of the customers we visited are still more comfortable with OMF.  My take is that many people had already gone through the _pain_ that is OMF, and figuring out all the nuances they needed to do to get it in their workflow, that they're hesitant to switch to anything better.  However, AAF is on our radar.  After all, Adobe is a principle member of the AMWA.

• 5. Re: Default session start time
                  dogandponyshow Level 1

I hear you, add me to the list!  However, workflow is almost always HD now and the editors don't want to go through the steps in Avid to create an OMF out of an HD project.  We just got MXF from Nuendo, actually opening my first one of those today.  The more things change...

John.