10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 12:51 PM by Mitch W

CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)

reynaldolocal

Hello

I'm using CS5 and have just (re)built a pc running Win 7 64 bit, with a PCI firewire card. I have a JVC SR-DVM70 deck, and also a Canon XL2 camera. When I try to capture from either device, the pc freezes. In Device Manager, it recognizes either device as an "Imaging Device" but also shows up as an "Unknown Device" as well. When I hit "Capture" I can see that the device is online for about 1 second, then the pc freezes (I left it for about 15 minutes, but it never un-freezes).

It's my brother's machine, and I know the capturing has been an intermittent issue all along, at least with the JVC deck. That's why I tried connecting the camera to see if that would work.

Any ideas or direction greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
          Mitch W Adobe Employee

I know this sounds goofy.... but try disabling your soundcard. Once disabled, relaunch PPro and try it again.

• 2. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
            reynaldolocal Level 1

OK, I disabled the onboard sound, and with the camera connected it says "Can't Activate Recorder. Try resetting camera." So I switched it over to the deck. When the deck is on "DV" mode it says "Capture Device Offline". When I switched the deck to HDD mode, it also states "Can't Activate Recorder. Try resetting camera."

• 3. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Try updating the onboard sound chip drivers.

• 4. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                Mitch W Adobe Employee

Well, that's different but doesn't exactly sound any better.

So which is it that you're trying to do? Capture DV or Capture HDV? Re-enable the soundcard and connect and turn on the JVC deck. In Device Manager, if the device is in HDV mode, it will show up under Sound, video and game controllers. If it's in DV mode, it'll show up under Imaging devices. Check the menu settings of the deck. I'm not sure about JVC, but Sony devices like this have a DV mode, HDV mode, and Auto mode. Make sure your device is set to either HDV mode or DV mode - NOT auto. For Premiere to be able to detect the signal in auto mode, the device has to be playing when you open the capture window. You can get into all sorts of wierdness here. Just set it to the correct mode and forget it. Next, be sure that you've got the capture panel set to recieve the correct signal type. Open the capture panel and go to the setting tab. In the Capture Settings, make sure the capture format is set to whatever you want to capture (DV or HDV). If it's set to the wrong one, click the Edit button and change it. That's about all there is to it. If the device is be correctly identified by Windows, and you'v got the deck set to the correct mode, and you have the capture panel set to the correct mode, it should work. You can always verify the device is working properly by testing it in an application like Windows Movie Maker to see if it can capture from it.

Fingers crossed.

• 5. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                  reynaldolocal Level 1

I'm trying to capture DV. I was just switching the deck to see what would happen. It has manual buttons to switch the modes.

While in DV mode, Device Manager sees it as an Imaging Device (and the Unknown Device it lists it as a Tuner). The Capture settings list it as DV (no other option). I see in the Device Control --> Options --> Device Type it's listed as "Standard". When the deck is attached, in the Options tab it says "offline", but when the camera is attached, it says "detected".

I installed Movie Maker and was able to capture from the camera. I also did a test capture from Adobe OnLocation. It detected the camera, and I was able to capture some video and audio, although the playback of it was all scrambled, but before the capture I could see the output of the camera (audio/video) within the OnLocation screen. Movie Maker doesn't detect the deck when it's in DV mode, but it does when it's in HDD mode (though I couldn't figure out how to capture anything while in that mode).

I checked the drivers for the audio - it says I have the most current.

I'm stumped! arrrggghhh!!!

• 6. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do a forum search for

legacy

You will find instructions on how to change your Firewire driver in Win7 to one that SHOULD work

• 7. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                      Dave Knarr Level 1

Here an article that will show you how to set the firewire drivers to legacy.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

• 8. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                        reynaldolocal Level 1

OK, I switched to the legacy driver for the IEEE card, and still no dice. Same behavior. I attached the firewire to my XL2 camera and was able to dump footage, so it's not the cable or card. (I used WinDV to dump)

When I do fire up the deck, it asks if I want to dump footage using Premiere Pro.

• 9. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                          Stanley Arthur Level 3

I came here this morning after several months of not having to do any HDV tape captures from my JVC BR-HD50, to see if anyone else is having the same problem, that is, "Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera.", and sure enough someone is. In a previous thread, I was at least able to get capture going, albeit without scene detect, but this morning, all I'm able to get is "Can't activate recorder...". I'm still using PPro CS5 5.02 due to Matrox not recommending update to 5.03 for MXO2 users yet. I just did a google search for any information on JVC drivers and couldn't find a thing.

• 10. Re: CS5 freezes - can't capture from deck or camera (firewire)
                            Mitch W Adobe Employee

Here's a link to an older document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/330/330682.html. If you're sure you've got the capture module selected for HDV and not DV and you've tried all the other stuff listed above, you might want to check it out. It's got instructions that will help you look to see if there's another DirectX video capture filter getting in the way. It also tells you how to force a refresh of your cameras and decks in the Windows registry. Since you're also having issues with OnLocation and Windows Movie Maker, you might want to give them both a try.