6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 10:06 AM by frdmsun

hide installed apps exposed assets

frdmsun Level 1

Is there a way to hide my installed apps exposed assets. After installing my desktop AIR app, all assets are exposed in the apps "Program Files" directory. I am publishing a commercial book with images, video and mp3. All of these assets are exposed and the client needs them hidden at least or encrypted at best. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks you.

• 1. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
          commadelimited Level 2

Unfortunately these apps need to be available to the application for it's use. There's no reason however that the files need to be named .mp3 or .mov however. You could try obfuscating the name to something like file-001.abc. AIR should be able to read the file no matter what the extension is, but the user most likely wouldn't think to mess with them, nor even know what they were. It's not perfect, but it's worth a shot perhaps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
            frdmsun Level 1

That's a good idea. Thank you. I'm thinking that this needs to be addressed - anyone can edit or copy dynamic content in any AIR app.

• 3. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
              commadelimited Level 2

Well yes, but the app won't run if content in the install folder is changed. When it's installed there's some sort of checksum created and any changes cause the app to fail. I've tried it before.

• 4. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
                imdfl

My experience is different. I routinely change files in the installation folder and AIR never complains. Is there some app descriptor flag for this behavior?

As for the problem in the opening post: You can aggregate the files into an archive and open it in the applicationStorageDirectory when the app is first run. I haven't tried using hidden folders with AIR, maybe this is also possible to increase the protection. You can also open the archive on every run into some temp folder and clean up when you exit. To speed up development, you can easily implement a compile time flag that tells your app where and how to locate resources.

• 5. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
                  bchalupka-syPD9H Level 1

If you embed the assets they are included in the swf directly so that you don't need to include them in the air file.

While exporting the release build you can select the files that should be in the application directory. There you should be able to deselect the unneeded files.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: hide installed apps exposed assets
                    frdmsun Level 1

That is a simple solution that I did not think of. I could even drop all the images into an images.swf and load that at runtime. Actually it would not work for my current project but good food for thought.