5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 3:18 PM by FlexualHealing

Does flex work only on IE?

zgenc Level 1

Hi,

I could never get the solutions run on Google Chrome and most of the time not even on Firefox. For example, I am trying to run the ex5_08 now but what I see is only a white screen on  both Chrome and Firefox though IE runs it without a problem. We were planning to use the Flex for our future RI application but this stituation scares me. Could you please let me know what the reason could be? I have flash installed on my Firefox 3.6.12 and Chrome 8.0.552.215.

• 1. Re: Does flex work only on IE?
          FlexualHealing

Hey,

Flex is based on the Flash platform so it will run in any browser that supports Flash player.

When you say..

"I could never get the solutions run on Google Chrome and most of the  time not even on Firefox. For example, I am trying to run the ex5_08 now  but what I see is only a white screen on  both Chrome and Firefox  though IE runs it without a problem."

... were you trying to run the applications in Chrome and Firefox from Flash Builder?  If so, Flash Builder only publishes to a single browser at a time. You may need to specify for it to use Firefox or Chrome instead of IE.

To test the browser compatibility you can try exporting a release build and running the HTML file in each browser. This should work. If it doesnt, maybe there is an underlying security issue or something going on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does flex work only on IE?
            zgenc Level 1

Yes, it is supposed to work in every browser supporting flash without a problem but what I see in practice is little different. I don't try to run it from the flash builder, I just open the end html file (I also tried the stand-alone swf file) with firefox and chrome. If there was a security thing, I would be warned or there would be nothing on the screen instead of a white empty flash screen. You can also try and see it by yourself, just download day 5 project files from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/developer/flex/videotraining/assets/FiaW_Day5_ProjectAr chive.zip

and try to run ex5_08 solution on firefox and chrome.

• 3. Re: Does flex work only on IE?
              Flex in a Week, FiaW Level 1

Hi,

Send an email to fiaw@trilemetry.com so we can set up a time & breeze with you to help you in person.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Does flex work only on IE?
                zgenc Level 1

Hi,

When I tried it with release build, everything worked fine with all the browsers but I still dont get it why I should always do the release build to see it working instead of directly seeing it from the flash builder in my chrome browser.

• 5. Re: Does flex work only on IE?
                  FlexualHealing Level 1

Hey,

So I think I may have figured out the problem with some testing and a little help from google search. Chrome is different than IE and Firefox because it comes with Flash Player installed.  If you have Flash Builder and Chrome installed you will actually have two versions of Flash Player installed for Chrome.

By default Chrome will use the Flash Player it comes with. You have to disable the Chrome version so the debug version will be used.

To do this, open Chrome and type chrome://plugins in the address field to open the Plugins window. Next, click the Details button and locate the Shockwave Flash Player plugins. (For me they were the first ones listed). Find the version of Flash Player that has the path to the Chrome folder and disable it. (See the attached image. Note that my version of Flash Player is 10.2.151.60 because im using Flash Builder Burrito. Yours will probably be different).

After you do this, Flash Builder should be able to publish to Chrome. If you still have problems, try and reinstall the debug version of Flash Player and then test in Chrome.

If you have to reinstall the Flash Player debugger you can download the newest version here: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#fp10 or you can locate the Flash Player debugger installer that came with Flash Builder and reinstall it.  ( C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Flash Builder Burrito/player/win/[Flash Player Version]/InstallPlugin ).

plugins.png