9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 5:42 AM by nealeh

Can't capture video from VCR

4everblue06

Hi all, I hope one of you can help me with this.

I'm trying to capture video from old VHS tapes and put it on my computer. I've got my VCR connected to my camcorder and my camcorder connected to my computer with a firewire cable. When I open Premiere Elements to import the video, I bring up the capture window and hit play on the VCR, but when I click on "Get Video," in the capture window, nothing happens. I see and hear my video in the preview screen there, but clicking the "Get" button doesn't transfer it to my hard drive. Do I have to change a setting in the software somewhere? I'm using Premiere Elements 4.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What Mode do you have your camera set to? That is the most likely culprit here, so we probably need to rule that out first.

Obviously, one will NOT have Device Control with this setup, but I think that you are way ahead on that aspect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
            4everblue06 Level 1

My camera is in VCR mode, and the AV/DV out setting is turned on.

• 3. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See if one of these will work for you for SD capture  

http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html 

Do note that the demo version of ScenalyzerLive puts a watermark in the files it creates
              - I'm told that the OLD version is freeware... check the download page for details

• 4. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that very few current camcorder models include the ability to capture as a pass-through, unfortunately.

To capture your VHS tapes, you may need to invest in a DV bridge, like the ADS Pyro AV Link.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                  Ted Smith Level 3

I could do that with my old Sony HCR90

Using the supplied Sony software or PE, using firewire, you saw on the camera viewfinder you

could capture to the computer including live pics.

My new Sony HD camera only has USB which can only be used to import (copy) files from the camera memory to the computer disk so I cant do this.

Have you tried recording the VCR stuff in the camera then importing the recorded files?

• 6. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                    nealeh Level 5

What video camera is it?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                      4everblue06 Level 1

I've got a Sony DCR TRV340. I can capture video straight from the camcorder just fine, but transferring all the VHS video to a camcorder tape and then to the computer woul take forever (I have a LOT of video to get through).

I tried importng video from the VCR through the camcorder using Windows Movie Maker instead and it worked. Maybe that's what I'll have to do. I'm just worried about quality differences between the two programs.

• 8. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you click the links I provided in #3 to read about those programs?

• 9. Re: Can't capture video from VCR
                          nealeh Level 5

Apparently you should be able to use this camera as a bridge:

From Amazon Reviews

The camera can input and output video in analogue and has digital video out (referred to as iLink/Firewire and DV Out). It's surprising not to see DV-in on what is otherwise such a well specified camcorder. The edit functions include scene selection so you cut out what you don't want as you transfer a video. It can even act as a digital to analogue converter for your old analogue tapes.

Developed three years ago as a completely digital video format, the beauty of Digital8 lies in its bridging capabilities between the analogue world of Sony Hi8 and the digital multimedia future. Once again the bridging capabilities of Digital8 are emphasised with USB streaming capabilities presented as standard in the entire range. USB Streaming creates two new applications for these versatile digital camcorders: the first as a WebCam with the addition of USB driver software and third party conferencing software (such as Windows Netmeeting) to facilitate video communications live over the Internet. A second application is live video streaming direct to a PC in similar fashion to Sony's i.LINK, since the USB port transmits a continuous video signal rather than single files. This application requires Pixela Image Mixer software (which comes bundled with the camcorders) as well as the necessary USB driver software. Image Mixer captures the video data, edits MPEG1 format data, displays thumbnails of still and moving images on screen and archives them to hard disk or Memory Stick.    

Do you have the referenced Pixela Image Mixer and USB drivers installed?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children