18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 6:03 PM by mikeklar

Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11

mikeklar Level 1

Anyone thinking or acquiring any of these cards be careful if DirectX 11 is something you will need in the future.

During September when researching the Quadro FX cards one of my criteria was that it supports DirectX 11.

At that time their latest driver version indicated it does support DirectX 11.  Only recently when running a program that requires it did I find out the card does not support DirectX 11  !

So now I've got to look at something else to replace this card.  Anyone here want it?

Not so cheerful,

Michael

• 1. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
          mikeklar Level 1

The following is NVIDIA's response to my question regarding DirectX 11 support, which BTW is fully documented in the latest driver as being upgradable -

I don't seem to be able to paste it, so I'll type it out:

"now that the purchase is done I regret to inform that you have but two choices, you may contact the card manufacturer or you may sell the card...."

This is from NVIDA Customer Care.  Some customer care!

I think I've got a problem.

Cheers

Michael

• 2. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What Quadro card did you get? Did you run the Direct X Web update from Microsoft?

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
              mikeklar Level 1

The card in question is the Quadro FX 3800.

However, my colleague has the Quadro FX 4800 and will run into the same problem.

Regarding running the DirectX update from Microsoft, the answer is yes I did.

The NVIDA Customer Care representative's response was as follows (I really wish one could copy and paste this):

"I apologize for the inconvenience.  I must add though that the 259.81 Driver Package is generic to a lot of devices.  The idea behind this is to streamline the process of driver packaging.  Whilst the 259.81 drivers support DX 11 it requires a card to support DX 11 to work successfully."

Checking NVIDIA's product lineup this means only the 5000 series and up support DirectX 11.

What disturbes me, that there is no mention in the driver's web site description indicating this card is excluded.  To the contrary it is listed as being included!

As well the fact that this "customer care" representative alludes to my incompitence in not checking the specifications...

Cheers

Michael

• 4. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11

I think there was confusion when reading the driver.The Quadro FX 3800 and 4800 have the 200 Series GPU's which were never Direct X 11 capable. Only the 400 Series GPU's right now support Direct X 11 including the Quadro 4000, 5000, and 6000. The driver never enabled Direct X 11 for the 200 Series GPU's. It only enabled Direct X 11 for the 400 Series GPU's. The driver does not state either that it enables Direct X 11 for the 200 Series GPU's. If you go to Nvidia's website and view the specifications for the GPU's you can see the latest version of Direct X supported by each card.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
                  mikeklar Level 1

Obviously you are correct.

However, before we acquired these cards we did contact a technical representative of NVIDA pointing to the latest driver and he left us with the impression that it will work with said cards.

My point is simple - NVIDIA is sloppy in its presentation of specifications, i.e. it would have been simple to denote those cards that will not work with DirectX 11.

Do you know of anyone in Canada that wants to buy an almost new Quadro FX 3800 and possibly also a 4800?

Cheers

Michael

• 6. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You may find one if your asking price is lower than a new GTS 450, which currently sells for around € 100. That card has similar specs.

• 7. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11

Unfortunately many Tier 1 support to not have much experience with support or knowledge of all specifications or drivers. If you sell the cards on Ebay, you will probably get a buyer. I have talked to some people who have been buying cards there because they had to have a Quadro card and did not like the retail price.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
                        mikeklar Level 1

Ouch

Harm, are you saying the GTS 450 performance is the same as the Quadro FX 3800?

In other words, I should not bother to spend the money for a Quadro 4000 and get similar performance from a card at a fraction of the price...

I like your suggestion

Considering my past workload was well served by the 3800 card, other than the fact that it now has been retired due to the lack of DirectX 11 capability, what card would you recommend that is DirectX 11 compatible and somewhat faster?

Cheers,

Michael

Ps.  as well has the same color resolution?

• 9. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11

470GTX, unless you require 10 bit color monitoring. Eventually Adobe will have to update their HDMI standard for their player to 1.4 which will give 10 bit color via HDMI provided some marketing guys don't get a hold of the developers first.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
                            mikeklar Level 1

Yes, almost forgot the color resolution, as you can see I edited my post before seeing yours.

Any other suggestsion, or am I stuck with getting the Quadro 4000?

Thanks,

Michael

• 11. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11

If you need the 10 Bit color now then it's either a Quadro or an I/O device like a Blackmagic or Matrox.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11
                                mikeklar Level 1

It pains me now to buy anything from NVIDIA after what has happened, but the alternative seems no better

Cheers

Michael

• 13. Re: Caution, nVIDIA Quadro FX cards may not support DirextX 11