12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2006 11:02 AM by nickle11

how to re-size buttons in png file

fuddleduddle
      I'm fairly new to Fireworks, just started today actually. I have a png file with 4 buttons I created using the Import a Button feature and picked on of the buttons styles offered.

I have my text in, haven't put in links yet until I get this problem sorted out, but I want to reduce the size of the buttons while retaining the original size of the text. When I resize the button currently, it also squeezes the text size.

Thanks very much for any solutions you can offer.
        • 1. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
          fuddleduddle Level 1
          Drats, no replies as yet. Maybe I could simplify the probem. I created 4 buttons using Edit | Insert| New Symbol and chose the second 3 stage blue button. I changed the text on all 4 buttons, left aligned but I want to reduce the button size to just encompass the text, so not alot of blank space on the right.
          I can't seem to get it right without then scrunching up the text and distorting it. How can I get it right? Thanks
          • 2. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
            Level 7
            fuddleduddle wrote:

> I can't seem to get it right without then scrunching up the text and
            > distorting it. How can I get it right?

You have to open the button in the button editor to change its shape.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. how to re-size buttons in png file
              fuddleduddle Level 1
              I created a button from their 3 stage template, added my text to the buttons, four of them, however I want to re-size the buttons so they are the size of the text, with a bit of space on either side naturallly. I can re-size the visible part of the button, however in browser in moving the mouse of the 'smaller' button, it highlights the original too large button size.

Really,all I want to get is how to TOTALLY re-size their template button to my own liking, without compromising the text which ultimately ends up scrunched and/or with the transparent part of the button that I thought I got rid of being highlighted.

I'm not wedded to FW as the end all, but just for the immediate, I need to get a working template (and these 34 buttons would be a template from which I would create other pages for this website). It's just that I understood from searching around that popup menus were 'better' in FW than DW particularly when creating the navigation bar/popup menu as a template.

Even tho I can reduce the visible size of the button, when I view it in a browser and move the mouse over, it shows that transparent part of the button. This is one of Fireworks 3 stage buttons. I've tried re-sizing by entering a new width, have tried grabbing the image and scrolling it left. Any ideas?
              • 4. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                fuddleduddle Level 1
                Seems there is not alot of activity here as no answer yet, anyone have other suggestions where I could post?
                • 5. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                  Level 7
                  fuddleduddle wrote:
                  > Seems there is not alot of activity here as no answer yet, anyone
                  > have other suggestions where I could post?

Linda's solution should work. I almost never use the button editor
                  myself but it sounds like you have the text selected when you resize.
                  Make sure the text is not selected and resize you other elements
                  individually in the button editor.

If you want us to look at the file, post it on the Web and we'll be able
                  to download it and look at it.

HTH!

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach : connect : communicate
                  http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                  http://www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 6. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                    fuddleduddle Level 1
                    Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait til I get home later today to fiddle again. I was sure that I did not have the text selected but only the button itself. I can't believe I'm stymied on this.

One thing before I go, I have re-sized the button without distorting the text, but what happens when I look at the navbar image in the browser, move my mouse over the now smaller button, the border of the full size of the button appears. So there is still overlap between the buttons even tho I have re-sized them. I can't seem to TOTALLY remove the unwanted part of the button.

• 7. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                      Level 7
                      fuddleduddle wrote:
                      > I can't seem to TOTALLY remove the unwanted part of the button.

It sounds like you only edited the up state of the button. You have to
                      repeat your edits for all the states (hover, down, etc...)

--
                      Stéphane Bergeron
                      • 8. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                        fuddleduddle Level 1
                        Aha! A new clue! That sounds entirely possible. If I edit the button in the up state and then for the other states, there is an option to copy it, correct? So therefore I would not have to edit it for all the states? Drats, I wish I had the program at work. So, say for arguments sake, I did edit the button for all the states and the problem still exists, any other solutions I should look at or would that 100% 'cure' it? Thanks alot for your help.
                        • 9. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                          Level 7
                          fuddleduddle wrote:
                          > Aha! A new clue! That sounds entirely possible. If I edit the button in the
                          > up state and then for the other states, there is an option to copy it, correct?
                          > So therefore I would not have to edit it for all the states? Drats, I wish I
                          > had the program at work. So, say for arguments sake, I did edit the button for
                          > all the states and the problem still exists, any other solutions I should look
                          > at or would that 100% 'cure' it? Thanks alot for your help.

You would of course have to re-export the images and FW HTML if you are
                          using it (which I would not recommend, but that's unrelated to your
                          current problem).

--
                          Stéphane Bergeron
                          • 10. how to re-size buttons in png file
                            fuddleduddle Level 1
                            Hi again. I will do the re-export and FW HTML as I am using it. Oh dear, why should I not? I'm more proficient in DW than FW but in getting information on popup menus where the intention is to use them as a template for other pages I understood that FW was the way to go. The more I read up on this, the more I find there are strong camps on either side. I'm happy to learn new things all the time, but bottom line, I just want to be able to create new pages with the navbar template, popup menus and not have any problems across browsers and not too code heavy if possible.

Thanks again.
                            • 11. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                              fuddleduddle Level 1
                              Well, that was the solution - I created just 1 single button as a test, re-sized, then made sure the changes were copied up to the other stages. Natch it makes sense now that I know.

Thanks very, very much!
                              • 12. Re: how to re-size buttons in png file
                                nickle11
                                Hi
                                New to fireworks myself have got all my info together for a web site but need to put buttons on and then save in my root folder so i can do a navigation bar my head is boxed am doing a course from home but dont feel like the tutor is understanding what i mean when i write a email just cant get a navi bar on my site at all hope you have better luck with your problem
                                Nicki