8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 4:38 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere

ethanvirus

Hi Everyone,

just got myself a new workstation with a i7 Intel Chipset and a Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 video card. (Win7 64Bit)

I am a CS5 user and was trying to enable CUDA when I saw (after severel tries and research on the net) that my Quadro FX 1800 isn't capable of using CUDA.

Altough it has 768 of RAM and 765 are needed and I get the message that only 741 are available and therefore the system isn't able to enable it.

So my question is: is there a way to get around this? Adding a second video card maybe? or tuning up the available Card (with programs like RivaTuner)?

Please help, I am having a big disappointment...

Cheers.

Ethan

• 1. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That card can not use CUDA/MPE because at least 896 MB of memory is required, that is 768 for PR and 128 for Windows and the UI. It makes no sense to disable the UI completely to get at the required 768 MB of memory, since then you can no longer see what you are doing, and that makes editing a bit difficult.

Multiple video cards is no solution, it will only make life more difficult. The only solution is to get a better video card, like the GTX 460/470/480/570/580. or spend all you ever saved in getting a Quadro FX4000/5000/6000 if you really want to waste serious money without tangible benefits.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
            ethanvirus Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

But when I run GPUsniffer.exe it says that 765 MB are needed.

And why is Nvidia doing advertising with the CUDA feature, the card is supposed to have?!?

I just dont want to believe it.

Will the GTX 470 enable CUDA in Premiere?

Thinking about changing the cards.

Is the GTX 470 better than the FX1800? If so, what is the difference?

• 3. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              But when I run GPUsniffer.exe it says that 765 MB are needed.

That is the free memory required. Your card has less because Windows uses part of all the memory for the user interface.

And why is Nvidia doing advertising with the CUDA feature, the card is supposed to have?!?

Because the card uses CUDA cores. The fact that PR requires more than this specific card has, is of no interest to nVidia.

Will the GTX 470 enable CUDA in Premiere?

Yes.

Is the GTX 470 better than the FX1800? If so, what is the difference?

Yes, more CUDA cores, more memory, wider memory bus, higher speeds.

• 4. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
                ethanvirus Level 1

Well if the GTX 470 is better, why is it a lot cheaper than the FX1800?

I just dont get it.

• 5. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Technical advances in GPU chip making

My 1st ever VCR was just about as heavy as a truck, and as I remember cost about $500

DVD+VCR player now is about $50

• 6. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Because engineers can't put up signs with " No  Marketing Personel allowed beyond this point"

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> And why is Nvidia doing advertising with the CUDA feature, the card is supposed to have?!?

CUDA is a general-purpose computing architecture optimized for parallel processing of pixels.That card uses that architecture.

Premiere Pro CS5 requires a certain minimum set of resources from a video card to make use of the CUDA resources for processing. Among these minimum requirements is the amount of RAM on the video card. The fact that there isn't enough RAM on the video card for us to make use of it in no way contradicts the fact that the card uses the CUDA architecture and has CUDA processor cores.

• 8. Re: Quadro FX 1800 and CUDA in Premiere
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Because engineers can't put up signs with " No  Marketing Personel allowed beyond this point"

We can, but we actually like our marketing people here.