4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 4:25 AM by Edufax

Empty fields in a fillable PDF

Edufax

Hi all,

We are a company that relies heavilly on fillable PDF files. We create them in LiveCycle ES8.2 and distribute them to our students all over the world.

Needless to say those students use a wide variety of hardware, ranging from MAC's with different OSx's to Windows computers with XP, Vista or 7.

Students fill out these forms, often tests and assignments, save a copy and upload it to our site.

Lately we are experiencing problems that fields in our fillable PDF's are empty when we receive the file.

Ofcourse, it sometimes happens that a student uploads the wrong (empty) file, but when multple students give us an empty PDF within a one-day timeframe and are certain they filled it out correctly, it might be something we are missing.

We noticed that it might have something to do with embedded fonts or their subsets, but this is giving us and our students a big headache.

We can't pinpoint the problem any further. Is it something we are missing in de PDF design process or is it a user-related issue? And if so, how can they solve it?

Advice or sollutions are greatly appreciated!

Greets,

Martijn

• 1. Re: Empty fields in a fillable PDF
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For the problem forms, what does Acrobat report is the "PDF Producer": File > Properties > Description (tab) > PDF Producer

Is it something like "Max OS X 10.6.5 Quartz PDFContext" by any chance?

• 2. Re: Empty fields in a fillable PDF
            Edufax Level 1

Hi,

It says that it's produced by Livecycle Designer ES 8.2

But the PDF's that work properly say the same.

I've tried editing and saving work to the PDF that didn't work. It saves and reopens normally for me, which again points in the direction of our students...

• 3. Re: Empty fields in a fillable PDF
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I asked bacause the Preview application on the Mac is known to corrupt fields when a form is saved, resulting in the field contents not being vis

ible. The PDF Producer will show something like what I posted earlier in such cases. Preview is the default PDF viewer for a majority of Mac users. But now that I think about it, I don't believe Preview supports XFA forms at all.

If I were in your position, I'd try contacting the folks who sent in the problem files and ask them what PDF viewer they're using, and confirm that they indeed completed AND saved the form and sent in the modified form.

• 4. Re: Empty fields in a fillable PDF
                Edufax Level 1

Thanks. We are aware of the Previewer problem and the Snowleopard vs 64 bit safari problem. Neither seems to be the case here. This bug happened to Mac as well as Vista users.

Any other thoughts?