5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 12:05 PM by try67

Populate a field via mailGetAddrs

ksumwalt

Hello,

I have created a local .js file with the following to allow the restricted mailGetAddrs function to work:

// Trust the mailGetAddrs function

KCI_mailGetAddrs = app.trustedFunction( function (cTo, cCc, cBcc, cCaption, bCc, bBcc)

{

app.beginPriv();    // Explicitly raise privilege

app.mailGetAddrs( cTo, cCc, cBcc, cCaption, bCc, bBcc );

app.endPriv();

})

I then created a text field, called "Grantee"  I want to have this field look up an employee in our Outlook Contacts, so I put the following in a Mouse Up JavaScript:

var attempts = 2;

while (attempts > 0)

{

var recipients = KCI_mailGetAddrs

({

cCaption: "Select Recipient, Please",

cTo: true,

bBcc: false

});

this.getField("Grantee").value = recipients;

if (recipients == "" ) {

if (--attempts == 1)

app.alert("You did not choose any recipients, try again");

} else break;

}

if (attempts == 0)

app.alert("Cancelling the selection");

else {

}

Apparently recipients is not being defined, as it places "undefined" in the Grantee field.  What I want is the person's name, or at the very least their e-mail address.  The this.getField("Grantee")...  was placed in the middle of the above code to try to figure out what was being returned.

When I test this out a window opens called "Check Names" and has amessage stating "Microsoft Outlook does not recognize "[object Object]". and has a button to "Show More Names..." which takes me to the Address Book listing where I can select an employee.  I do this, but nothing is set in the function.

What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Populate a field via mailGetAddrs
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In your trusted function you need to return the value returned by mailGetAddrs.

• 2. Re: Populate a field via mailGetAddrs
            ksumwalt Level 1

So I now have the trusted function as:

// Trust the mailGetAddrs function

KCI_mailGetAddrs = app.trustedFunction( function (cTo, cCc, cBcc, cCaption, bCc, bBcc)

{

// Additional code may appear above

app.beginPriv();    // Explicitly raise privilege

var funcreturn = app.mailGetAddrs( cTo, cCc, cBcc, cCaption, bCc, bBcc );

// return app.mailGetAddrs( cTo, cCc, cBcc, cCaption, bCc, bBcc );

// funcreturn = "Memememe!!";

app.endPriv();

// Return the returned information.

return funcreturn;

})

And my script is:

var attempts = 2;

while (attempts > 0)

{

var recipients = new KCI_mailGetAddrs

({

cTo: "passed.name@company.com",

cCc: "",

cBcc: "",

cCaption: "Select Recipient, Please",

bCc: true,

bBcc: true

});

if (recipients == "" ) {

if (--attempts == 1)

app.alert("You did not choose any recipients, try again");

} else break;

}

if (attempts == 0)

app.alert("Cancelling the selection");

else {

}

So when I click the field, a Check Names window opens with

Microsoft Outlook does not recognize "[object Object]

Select the Address to Use:

then a field with no names, but a button to "Show more Names..."  When I click this, I get the Contacts list with only a To option for recipients.  IF I select one, the "Grantee" field gets this:

selected.name@company.com,undefined,undefined

(NOTE:  passed.name@company.com and selected.name@company.com are not the actual values used. Real values are used, but removed from this post.)

I have also tried passing the person's name as listed in the Contacts list.  Neither of these do anything.  Also, I have passed nothing here.  All gives the same result.

The problem seems to be that Outlook is not understanding what is being passed, or I am not passing it correctly.  At least I am getting an address.

Any insight on how what might be causing the Outlook message?  Also, how would I get just the email address in the PDF's script?  I know I con process it out by truncating the string to the first comma, but there must be a better way.  recipients.cTo does not get it, which is what I thought I would use.

• 3. Re: Populate a field via mailGetAddrs

When I run this code it opens the Outlook address selection dialog with

"mailto:passed.name@company.com" already filled in. I can then select

another recipient (let's say "test@test.com"). When I then press enter, the

value returned is an array with 3 items. The first one is "test@test.com

;mailto:passed.name@company.com" and the last two are empty, just like is

written in the reference.

Are you not getting the same result?

• 4. Re: Populate a field via mailGetAddrs
                ksumwalt Level 1

I am definitely NOT getting the same results.  It sounds like you are getting exactly what I was hoping for, so I am now wondering if it is in Outlook someplace.

I created a new PDF (File->New in Acrobat Pro 9) and added 2 fields.  1 called Grantee and the other with that executes the javascript I posted on a Mouse Up event.  I get the same results I get in the original, the message:

Microsoft Outlook does not recognize "[object Object]"

I wondered if it is a version problem.  I have Outlook 2007 and am hooked to an Exchange Server.  I also tested on a computer running Outlook 2010 with Exchange.  Either way I get the same results.  2 machines, Windows XP on one, 7 on the other.  Outlook 2007 on the first, 2010 on the second.  The common factor on my end is Exchange.  Is this consistent with you, save the difference in the results?

• 5. Re: Populate a field via mailGetAddrs

I don't really use Outlook, but I have Outlook Express 6 on my machine (Win

XP as well).