6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 6:49 PM by Rick Gerard

Will I be able to re-create this effect?

T_Diddy37

Please if you could spare a minute of your time could you just quickly view this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

It's a music video but please don't judge me on the song, you can mute it if you like.

What I'm interested in and want to do is copy the technique used for the tape making words and pictures etc.  Is this possible using Adobe After Effects?

I'm new to video editing and have thought of a few different methods to hopefully re-create the effect up to now so I've made some individual slides for animation for the frames that I could use - so I don't necessarily need After Effects to do that part; my main problem however, is putting my arms over the animation...

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

• 1. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I love these little pieces of poetry:

This video contains content from WMG. It is not available in your country.    

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't see the example video due to restrictions on the network where I work, but when you talk about putting yourself in front of animation it is one of two things, either keying or rotoscoping, and, from your description, I think rotoscoping is your guy.

Although, if you're new to AE, I really wouldn't suggest starting with something like that. You really should start here. AE is not the kind of beast that you can learn by fiddling around with it. You really need a solid foundation before you can work with it. It's a walk-before-you-run kind of thing. The (free!) resources that link gives you are aimed at beginners in AE and will help eliminate a lot of the frustrations often encountered by AE newbies.

• 3. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

The cassette tape is not used to create the images, those are drawings, conventional still-frame animation. Nothing unusual here. At least not at the beginning, didn't see much of it.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
                T_Diddy37 Level 1

Ah I see thanks for the advice on needing a foundation - tis a shame I work best when I can fiddle and work things out.

Here's a link that's should work if you so wish to check it out anyway.  Hate when Youtube doesn't let you watch stuff because of where you live.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xesw3h_bruno-mars-just-the-way-you-are_music

• 5. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
                  T_Diddy37 Level 1

Oh yeah I know that the cassette hasn't created anything hence why I've drawn up some still frames for animation... the bit im struggling with is the method to re-create the illusion of moving it around into various words / photos with my hands.

• 6. Re: Will I be able to re-create this effect?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks like a bit of real tape manipulated and time re-mapped combined with illustrations expertly composited into the scene. This isn't a one click, one layer solution. The shot requires a background plate, a plate with the tape manipulated by an artist that has either time remapped or shot as a stop motion animation,  a layer that contains the animated illustration, and a layer that contains the actors hands. Each of those, including the background plate may require more than one layer.

So in the end, this isn't an effect, it's a composite that is comprised of animated and live action elements. I'd suggest you google Stop Frame Animation, Layered compositing, Rotoscoping, and cell animation. I'd also guess that these individual shots to days rather than hours to put together.

Hope this doesn't discourage you. VFX is hard work.