7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 7:15 PM by Haubitz

Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline

chucktown_rj Level 1

I'm doing a SIMPLE slideshow project for a frient. I've got a file folder of images that I imported into CS5. In the timeline the correct images are not appearing when placed from the timeline. Even in the Project folder most of the images are not what they are in explorer. Most, when opened in the Source Monitor are the correct image, even though the wrong image is appearing on the timeline, but even there many are not correct. What is happening is that the image of about 15 of the 105 imported images are appearing in the place of all of the other images. It's like something is cached, and the appropriate linkages aren't being made.

What's even more frustrating is that the ONLY effect applied to all of the impages is Scale to Frame. There are no transistion. Nothing.

What simple solution is there for images not importing into CS5 correctly?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
          SFL46 Level 3

Since importing does not copy the file, but just creates a link to the file, are you sure that each of your images has a unique file name?

• 2. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
            chucktown_rj Level 1

100% certain.

The original source CD, however, did not, so I went through and copied each file into a new folder, and in in some cases renamed the files to specifically unique file names; even those files are still having issues.

• 3. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
              chucktown_rj Level 1

In fact, it's the knowledge that I already had that it was really only a reference to a file that was listed in the Project Frame that has had me so confused.

• 4. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please submit a bug report with as much detail as possible so that we can investigate this.

• 5. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
                  Haubitz

The last reply from Adobe was to submit a bug report back in December.  Has there been any progress or resolution on this issue?  This exact same problem is KILLING me right now.  Premiere Pro CS5 is totally unusable for a simple slide show because of this bug.  I've wasted about a week of work with this. 

• 6. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Import the images into Photoshop and then resave them from Photoshop. This problem occurs when there is some bad header information in the files; Photoshop will write the correct information when you re-save the images.

• 7. Re: Wrong images appearing in project window / timeline
                      Haubitz Level 1

Thanks for that suggestion.  It DOES work!  However, it is time consuming since I'm working with over 1,000 images.  Instead, I was able to discover the following solution:

The culprit was the magic checkbox under Edit -> Preferences -> Media for "Write XMP ID to Files on Import."  This setting writes a GUID to all media imported into Premiere for use with all Adobe apps.  I actually found the reference to it in an After Effects forum.  I didn't fully understand exactly why this is useful when I'm only working with still images.  My guess is that somehow these GUIDs became crossed over.

I disabled this checkbox, deleted all references to the affected media, and deleted all cache files, including all files under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Adobe\Common\Media Cache.  I then reimported the originals of my source files from my network attached storage (SO thankful that I moved them offline without touching them).  Viola!  Everything works.

It was critical that I made copies of all of my data to my NAS.  Adobe actually writes this GUID for the XMP ID to the file itself, which changes the modification date of the actual file.  So, I guess the error will follow the file wherever it goes (in an Adobe application) unless it's resaved in PhotoShop to correct the error.  Luckily, the files on my NAS were untouched by Adobe, since I made copies to work with locally.  Only the local files were affected.  Once I disabled the checkbox, then Adobe no longer attempts to modify files on import and leaves them intact.