24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 2:49 PM by nealeh

Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)

RichD.

When I take sharp still photos, at any resolution and in any format (tif, jpg, psd), they look sharp on a standard def. TV from a burned DVD with a Project Setting of NTSC-DV – Standard (4:3) ONLY.  Using NTSC-DV – Wide Screen or NTSC – Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder Standard or Wide-Screen, the stills are slightly, but definitely, blurry.  Not a problem if I just want a DVD of stills, but a problem combining video (my camcorder is memory card, std. def., wide-screen) with stills.  The video looks nice and sharp.  Any suggestions? Thank you

• 1. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video is only 640x480 pixels, so it's never going to be as detailed and as clear as your original photos. In fact, there's no point in loading photos into Premiere Elements larger than 1000x750 pixels. Doing so, as I point out in my books, will only slow down and eventually crash the program.

If you're trying to create a slideshow for a format other than video, there are program (like ProShow Gold) that will give you a much more detailed slideshow.

But video is what it is. 640x480 low resolution pixels.

Also, as I say in my books, don't forget to render your timeline whenever there is a red line above any clips on your timeline. Do this by pressing Enter. When the red line turns green, you'll get a much cleaner preview of your output video.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
            RichD. Level 1

Thank you for your prompt response.  I understand that video of still photos on TV will not be as good as on a computer monitor, but mine were actually pretty good with a project setting of NTSC-DV Standard.  It is only when I use the other NTSC settings that it degrades, and I really do need NTSC - Hard disk, etc. Widescreen to combine stills with my standard def, widescreen video.  On that there is a small, but obvious degradation.  So, given that it does look good in NTSC-DV Standard, I'm still hoping to get something comparable in sharpness on the other settings.  Any other thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)

There is absolutely no reason a widescreen 720x480 video should degrade your image more than a standard 720x480 video. They use exactly the same number of pixels!

So I have no idea what's up.

• 4. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                encrawford

I also own Elements Premiere but have never used it.  Would the movie be more clear if I imorted the pictures there and created a movie.  This resolution issue is VERY disappointing.

• 5. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)

Once again, that's because in Premiere Elements, you're working in VIDEO so you get VIDEO RESOLUTION -- essentially 640x480 pixels.

If you want a higher-resolution slideshow (one that can only be played on a computer, for instance, but which maintains virtually all of the original's resolution) you should use a program like ProShow Gold.

• 6. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                    encrawford Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I could have done without the sarcasm "once again".  Maybe this is true in Elements but it's patently NOT true in my prior program Pinnacle Studio.  That program allows for even the creation of HD movies.

• 7. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe PreEl-9 also allows for HD... but not in a Standard Definition project to be written to DVD

If you have a BluRay burner, go ahead and create a BluRay project, with BluRay size and definition

• 8. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)

No sarcasm intended. Just re-stating what I explained two posts back.

And, yes, you can create 1920x1080 pixel high-def video -- but even that will never be as clear as a typical 3, 5 or more pixel camera photo. It's just possible to get as detailed in video as you can in a photo, no matter which program you use.

However, there are ways to optimize your photos to get the best possible quality, and that may vary from program to program.

• 9. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                          nealeh Level 5

You've lost me. In your first post and post #2 you are saying you have good results from an NTSC-DV project preset. Then in post #4 you say you have never used PRE?

So are you saying in post #0 and post #4 that your current video has been created with Pinnacle (that you mention in post #6).

But if your video is standard definition, then why aren't you putting it on a timeline of a standard definition video and use a photo editing program to resize your still images to 720x480 (assuming no pan & zoom) or 1000x750 if you want to do pan & zoom)?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                            Ted Smith Level 3

Reasons why stills may not look sharp

1. Normal 'old style' TV is interlaced so you are seeing one field of half of the pixels every 60th second and the other field the other 60th.

This is patently obvious when you freeze frame an old VCR that only scans one field.

If you don't use both fields and combine them to your final frame you only see half resolution

2. There is an effect in your eye that makes the same picture when it is slightly moving considerable sharper then if it is stationary. Noise and grain are different on each frame of moving images and cancel themselves out - but not on a still frame.

3. Quite often you have to apply extra 'sharpening" (like in Photoshop) to artificially enhance the edges of a still so a fine overshoot is all around objects. This melds into the picture at a normal viewing distance making it appear sharper.  Before the days of HDTV every broadcast camera did this and actually looked too sharp when viewed on the high quality studio monitors. TV stations playing HDTV footage on their Stabndard Def channel have to enhance the edges on that channel otherwise they look soft. This is virtually essential showing original high definition 'slides' on old DVDs if you want them to look really sharp

4 If the number of pixels in the original photo is not a multiple of the final corresponding pixel size you can get softening depending on the down scaling process. Eg 640x480, 1280x960 ,1920x1440  etc.are multiples  Any intermedial sizes can give you a blurr because you cant get part of a pixel so they are thrown away or averaged over a number of adjacent pixels. Just adjust your computer output resolution to other than the native screen resolution to see a similar effect on text.

A similar effect is visible if you try to view full HD 1920 TV transmission thru a set top box on an old plasma or LCD 1360x768 screen. It can even look worse than Standard definition.

5 If you downscale a pic to an intermediate  resolution other than a multiple of your final DVD, then put it in PE9 it downscales this twice with unpredictable results.

• 11. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                              RichD. Level 1

Please see my comment posted 12/20/10.  Rather than duplicating comments I thought this would be easiest for everyone who responded to me.  Thank you

• 12. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                RichD. Level 1

Please see my comment posted 12/20/10.  Rather than duplicating comments I thought this would be easiest for everyone who responded to me.  Thank you

• 13. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                  RichD. Level 1

• 14. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                    RichD. Level 1

• 15. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                      RichD. Level 1

• 16. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                        RichD. Level 1

Hi all.  I want to thank each of you for taking the time to continue to help me.  I really appreciate your efforts.

To minimize duplicate responses, I am pointing each of you to this response.  I hope I address all of your comments.

First, I am viewing the photos on a 2 NTSC TV’s.  One is a traditional CRT picture tube, the other is a rear projection from individual color CRT’s.  I will be checking them out on a state-of-the-art LED-LCD in a few days.  Simply, when I set the Project Setting to NTSC-DV Standard Definition 4:3 (meaning full screen 640x480) the stills look quite good.

The problem occurs when I use the Project Settings listed as NTSC-Hard Drive Camcorder, etc. (meaning mpg coming into PE9 like via a card based camcorder (mine is std def)) Wide-Screen 16:9 with input set by PE9 as 720x480. The still photos are recomposed with black bands on each side (either by me manually in PS9 or by PE9 automatically – no difference in image projection).  I want to use this setting since I want to combine widescreen video with 3:2 still images in the same project.  These are distinctly blurry, but not horrendously so. (I know, not a very scientific/objective description)

And, while I agree with comments made regarding down-rezing, my actual tests showed the best results from a large 3000+ x 2000+ pixel tif file than from any other size and format (I have tried many combinations).  In fact, 480 pixel (height) jpg looked to me just slightly better than 480 (height) psd, which made no sense given that psd is supposed to be lossless and jpg is lossy (although I used the least compression available).

Re. interlacing, I did freeze frame and there was a slightly better image displayed, but not as good as the full screen not frozen.  I have not yet tried what I would normally consider excessive sharpening to compensate for the still image problem.  However, this is still troubling given that full screen looked good.

I am gong to continue to test as time permits, but I wonder if there are 2 compounding problems.  First, NTSC TV has 1440 lines of scan, exactly, 3 times 480 pixels, whereas, based on my calculations, 16:9 widescreen letterbox does not yield the number of scan lines an integral multiple of 480.  Second, PE9 lists widescreen as 720x480, yet if I take a pixel height of 480, 16:9 should yield a width of 853.  While I understand CRT TV’s cut off part of the picture, that oversized width from 720 seems a bit high.  (I also know that some number of scan lines are not used in the image, but don’t remember whether these are within the 1440 or in addition to.)

Ted, you mentioned that the stills should be multiples of 640x480 up to 1920x1440.  Why not 1920x1080 which gives the 16:9 widescreen format?  I have not tried these numbers yet, but will when I get back home.

One last complication is that a project setting of NTSC-Hard Drive, full screen 4:3, was also blurry.  I would be willing to believe there is a problem with PE9’s resizing calculations or an issue with using the “right” pixel resolution for widescreen if all full screen settings looked good and only wide screen looked poor.

I know that’s a lot to digest, but better more info than less.  And, again, thank you very much for your help.

• 17. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                          nealeh Level 5

While setting the correct Project Preset is important to handle the input correctly, output is created from the Share process. How are you sharing this Project and what share settings are you using?

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale

• 18. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                            RichD. Level 1

NTSC_Dolby DVD for the full screen tests; NTSC_Widesreen_Dolby DVD for the widescreen tests

• 19. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                              RichD. Level 1

Neale,

Your last e-mail sparked a thought, something I had not tried, that is, setting the input as widescreen since my video input is, and the output (Share in PE9) as Full Screen (listed as just NTSC_Dolby) (not widescreen), then setting my DVD player to 4:3 Letter Box.  Doing that solved the problem.  The stills are now sharp.  So far this is only a small test, but I am hopeful my full-blown DVD output will work fine.  Thank you for not giving up on me.

• 20. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                                RichD. Level 1

Ted, please read my reply to Neale this afternoon (12/20).  I think my problem is fixed.  The problem was my output/Share designation being widescreen.  Thank you very much for your help.

• 21. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                                  RichD. Level 1

Steve, please read my reply to Neale this afternoon (12/20).  I think my problem is fixed.  The problem was my output/Share designation being widescreen.  Thank you very much for your help, epsecially not giving up on me.

• 22. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                                    RichD. Level 1

Hi.  I know you were responding to Steve, but, please read my reply to Neale this afternoon (12/20).  I think my problem is fixed.  The problem was my output/Share designation being widescreen.

• 23. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                                      RichD. Level 1

John, I know you were corresponding with encrawford, but please read my reply to Neale this afternoon (12/20).  I think my problem is fixed.  The problem was my output/Share designation being widescreen.

• 24. Re: Blurry Still Photos in PE 9 (Windows XP –SP3)
                                                        nealeh Level 5

Good news. Fingers crossed that your full project works out OK.

Cheers,
                                                        --
                                                        Neale