8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 6:40 PM by Andrew_Hart

Crop, I'm puzzled

kevin4545 Level 1

I tried to use the crop for the first time in ACR.

Perfect setting. I've done copy work and have 30 images with the same placement.

But when I pull out the crop, it does not extend to the bottom of the image. It stops about 3/4 way.

It's like it has a mind of it's own and wont cooperate.

And I do not see handle for the sides, I only see handles for the corners.

I see a little arrow on the crop tool, but when I click it nothing happens.

• 1. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
          Andrew_Hart Level 2

Works perfectly for me on raw, tiff and jpeg files, with handles on all four corners, middle top, bottom and sides, and no restraint on extension of crop boundaries.

Sorry, can't reproduce your problem. Have you tried reinstalling latest 6.3 update?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

kevin4545 wrote:

But when I pull out the crop, it does not extend to the bottom of the image. It stops about 3/4 way.

It's like it has a mind of it's own and wont cooperate.

And I do not see handle for the sides, I only see handles for the corners.

You have your Crop tool set to something other than "Normal" in the Crop tool drop down menu. Setting a crop to a specific proportion will lock the crop into that ratio and disable the side handles...

• 3. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
              kevin4545 Level 1

Thanks guys, you are right Jeff.

That little arrow, the drop down menu has a tricky feel. Usually you just click on it and it instantly drops. But here you really gotta hold your mouse down. It's a bit odd.

Also, I have constrain to image checked. What does that mean?

So, I got it working -- a crop will apply to multiple images just like any other adjustment? That's a beautiful thing if so -- can that even be accomplished in Photoshop?

Finally, -- contrast: I want to make all the images a bit darker, a tad more contrasty. I could reduce exposre, increase Blacks, and even increse the contrast slider.

But for some reason, I feel more in control with an an old fashion levels adjustment layer on a tiff file. Why is that. Maybe there is something in ACR I'm missing or technique I'm unfamilar with.  Just something about those there aforementioned slideers that seem seem a bit iffy compared to the totally straightforward levels slider.

• 4. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
                kevin4545 Level 1

PS - ok I got a nice crop on one. I see the lettle crop symbol on the left. How does one apply that crop to the rest, without effecting other settings? (if possible)- thanks!

• 5. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

You have your Crop tool set to something other than "Normal" in the Crop tool drop down menu. Setting a crop to a specific proportion will lock the crop into that ratio and disable the side handles...

Duh!

Did not even know there was a drop down menu on the crop tool - never had the need to use anything other than an unconstrained crop in ACR so just hit C and did the desired crop. Thanks, Jeff.

• 6. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
                    Andrew_Hart Level 2

With the crop set for the first image, click Select All, Synchronise, untick all settings except Crop, and click OK (and Done to take you back to Bridge - if that's where you want to go). You'll see that this is also the method to synchronise all sorts of other settings, like Contrast, Exposure, Brightness, across a selection of images.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
                      kevin4545 Level 1

Andrew, thanks, I'm so used to accepting all changes -- perfect.

Have you don't this in PS? I bet it's faster in ACR, right?

What is your opinon on my question about adjusting for contrast exposure?

Why do I find it still more facile in PS?

• 8. Re: Crop, I'm puzzled
                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

kevin4545 wrote:

Andrew, thanks, I'm so used to accepting all changes -- perfect.

1.Have you don't this in PS? I bet it's faster in ACR, right?

2.What is your opinon on my question about adjusting for contrast exposure?

3.Why do I find it still more facile in PS?

1. No and probably Yes. I have never applied the same crop in ACR to more than a single image at a time. Each image needs it's own specific crop requirements, assuming it needs cropping at all. Unless, of course, you have multiple images taken of the same scene. I don't.  For the reasons just given, I have never tried applying the same crop to multiple images in Ps  - don't even know, and don't care, if its even possible to do that in Ps without using an Action.

2. I'm pretty sure that you'll find most people agreeing that, with a raw file, it's better to do as much as possible (regarding exposure, colour balance and general tonal adjustments) in ACR before taking an image into Ps. Get yourself a copy of Jeff Schewe's  "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5"  and read Chapters 1 & 2 for the reasons why.

3. Only you can answer this one. Perhaps it's because you are more familiar with Ps?