26 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2010 2:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working

THX1142a

I have been watching my AVI videos from my Fujifilm Finepix F20 with all video software on my computer, including Winamp. I have used the videos in MS moviemaker to create great videos and download to Youtube.

I thought I'd step up to Premiere 9 to get more functionality. The first thing I did when I installed the product was try to recreate one of my old projects. But it does not like any of my AVI files. I get the message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed. I've downloaded codexes, I've read forums here, I've gone to Google to see if anyone else has had this problem. No luck.

Is there a "thing" I can use to use this product with my files generated from this camera without becoming a background software guru, or do I need to uninstall and move on? I want to drive this car, not become a mechanic just to get to work every day, if you get my drift.

• 1. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
          THX1142a Level 1

BTW, the manual says they are MJPEG "avi" files.

• 2. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
            nealeh Level 5

Could you analyse your file with GSpot Codec Information Appliance and post a screenshot here. Also, did you install all the software that came with your camera? They sometimes install the necessary codecs.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Fuji Finepix is not a DSLR. It's just a still camera that shoots video -- so your results are pretty typical.

Premiere Elements often has challenges with MJPEG-AVIs.

The FAQS to the right of this forum offer the best solutions for converting this video to editable DV-AVIs. Windows MovieMaker is your best choice for converting.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

THX1142a wrote:

BTW, the manual says they are MJPEG "avi" files.

MJPG edit with Morgan or MainConcept

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/
                http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/information-797. html
                • 5. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                  THX1142a Level 1

Thanks very much for your response.

BTW, my occupation has been directly IT related since 1983, starting as a programmer. This  response is not personal in any way. I just stepped into my "User Acceptance Tester" (UAT) mode  for version NINE of this software and let the chips fall where they may. I go into "intentionally obtuse" mode quite intentionally when I first start using a piece of software.

I had to become an expert on dos memory management back in the mid 1990's to be able to play Aces Over The Pacific. I've had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get various types of software to work in the old DOS, Windows 3.1 and pre-NT based windows.

And Ford Model T drivers had to understand what it meant to advance the spark. But we're past that now.

My question is not so much "What do I need to do to get this to work?". Rather, it is more of a holistic, "Why should an average consumer need to do anything (beyond installing) to get this to work?". A reasonable assumption is that if a silly free peice of software like windows movie maker can import and interpret this as video, and a ton of "shareware" programs can (Yes, I've found several in my all nighter last night), why is this capability not part and parcel to a piece of software designed to edit videos? And it is the most basic functionality one would expect from software like this. It is like finding that although "normal" cars can do it, you new Porsche will not burn gas from Amoco and Conoco without buying a special refinery add-on.

I have hundreds of short video clips (under ten seconds) I was going to use from my old camera (grandchildren stuff). The Windows Moviemaker solution won't work as a converter. I need batch conversion, which aftermarket software will do, or I can just continue using MM as my editor and return the adobe. I bought this software for "hobby" purposes, so I may be willing to deal with the flexibility issues if I can at least move videos into the software without wondering each time if it is going to work.

And then there are the videos from my Panasonic GF1. Still have to try those.

Lastly, to address your coment about it not being a DLSR, the modern paradigm is that a camera is a camera (with the exception of phone video - still in the Model T stage). Video cameras shoot stills and still cameras shoot video. And a "video editing" software package for consumers should be able to handle it all, as MM does . BTW, I am NO fan of microsoft, so it really pains me to say that.

Bottom line: Every single piece of free software and included software on my computer can interpret video from every non-phone source, except for adobe Premiere version 9. No matter how you slice it, that is a serioius flaw in the latter.

Thanks for the advice you gave. I am considering buying 4easysoft total video converter. I've been playing with the free sample.  I need to see if it works with the output from my GF1 as well and then have to decide if I will violate my principles about paying for pieces of software that I need to compensate for deficiencies in other pieces. I feel a little like I am being charged for a passenger side windshield wiper.

If you ever see me on this forum again, it means I decided to violate my principles and follow through with that, rather than go back to MM.

Again, this is not personal. I really appreciate your sincere and well thought out response. My beef is with the company. And I have confidence that a version or two down the road this will be a non-issue.

• 6. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                    nealeh Level 5

THX1142a wrote:

My question is not so much "What do I need to do to get this to work?". Rather, it is more of a holistic, "Why should an average consumer need to do anything (beyond installing) to get this to work?".

Did you install all the software that came with your FinePix camera? That might provide you a means to work with your clips.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                      THX1142a Level 1

I got a response from someone (I think it was you) about downloading a piece of software called FFDshow. It worked.

Thanks!

BTW, This is the first Adobe product I've ever purchased. I noticed their marketing paradigm is a bit along the lines of Harley Davidson, who sells you a $15,000 motorcycle, and then over the next several years sells you $20,000 worth of chrome and leather.

• 8. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                        THX1142a Level 1

Interesting thing happened today. I tried to bring a movie into premiere and make a dvd. When I played the dvd there was no sound. I went back to my project and noticed it was not using the sound from the Video. I then realized ffshow was now converting with no sound. So I uninstalled and re-installed.

Now I cannot watch AVI movies with winamp or Windows media player. Which implies the codecs are gone. Which begs the question: If the codecs were there in the first place for those programs (and windows movie maker) to play movies, why would they not work with Premeire?

Anyway, I am completely hosed now, for all apps, and have to spend a day or two reading up on codecs and how to make sure they are all there for all programs.Of course, I used the word "all" loosely.

Looks like you still have to be a mechanic to drive this car. Kinda sucks.

• 9. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                          nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to uninstall ffdshow and leave it uninstalled. As I suggested in reply 2 have you installed ALL the software provided with your FinePix? It is quite likely that it includes an application that will read your footage and may even install the correct codec making it usable in PRE9. Even if it doesn't install such a codec the application may allow an export to a format usable by PRE.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, FFDShow has been known to cause all sorts of issues with Adobe NLE's (Non Linear Editors).

It is not always a straight uninstall though, and I would also use a Registry cleaner, like CCleaner, after the uninstall. Do take advantage of the Registry backup option, early on in a CCleaner Registry cleaning operation - just in case.

A very few Adobe users have had to reformat their HDD's to get rid of all traces of FFDShow, but that has been a minority.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for MJPEG, this ARTICLE (with some of the links that John T. provided) will usually work. Also, as Neale mentions, the proper MJPEG (or other) CODEC's will often be included in the camera's driver installation, on the utility disc, or along with video editing software provided.

• 11. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                              THX1142a Level 1

I've been working with PC's since around 1992 - all machines I built myself. Every now and then an issue comes up that makes me want to throw the computer de-jur out the window and switch to farming.

This is one of those issues.

The really sad part is that I can't go back. Even if I uninstall the software I can't go back to where I was because now none of my video software works with videos they worked with last week. What is comical is that if you search the internet for info on where codecs are stored, and subsequently how they are used, you get lots of different, and mutually exclusive, answers. It's comical.

• 12. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For some background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE might be useful. In most cases, the CODEC's are installed in the OS. Exceptions are with players, like VLC and MediaPlayer Classic HC, which contain a lot of CODEC's for use by those programs. That is why such players can often play material, that other players, like WMP cannot, and also why they can often play material, that an NLE cannot play back.

Now, addressing the state of the computer right now. One thing to look into will be your audio and video drivers. The reason for this is that most NLE's, like PrE, will need to interface much more critically, than most other programs. A simple Windows update/hot-fix can render those drivers obsolete. One must then go the mfgr's. Web site, download and install the latest - both audio and video.

Next, PrE relies very heavily on Apple's QT Player, so updating that will fix many issues.

If nothing is working from the above, I would create a System Restore Point for now (a safety precaution), and then boot to Safe Mode. Choose System Restore, and choose a Point from back when things worked. Test. If that does not help, you have only lost a bit of time and a few reboots, as you created that System Restore Point for today, and can always go to it, then attempt to troubleshoot with other means.

There is a video from MS, The Case of the Unexplained, that discusses odd behaviors, and gives links to tools, that might be useful. It is linked from this ARTICLE. Note: this is a new link, as MS restructured some of their help videos. The video is both entertaining, and very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - most of us have felt your angst at one time, or another.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                  nealeh Level 5

Do you have a system restore point from a week ago? If so you could create a new point as of now, then restore the older one. If things work - fine. If they don't, just restore to the one you create today.

Cheers,

--
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                    THX1142a Level 1

The finepix CD is long gone. Since the videos worked with EVERYTHING else on

all of our computers, there was no need to install that software. The FFshow

did work, and I was able to watch movies the last two days, but today, no

software on my machine will give me video. I did just download cccp and it

did not increase the codecs in my codec library (viewed from control panel),

but I can at least watch them there. But that is not the point, obviously.

I'm now just trying to get Winamp to work again, and also Windows media

player. I just tried Windows movie maker and it doesn't work either,

regarding downloading videos. I'm installing K-lite mega. That should give

me the codecs for all the other software. As far as Premeire is concerned,

who knows?

I had a friend that had a Volkswagen Rabbit and a Jaguar SJ12. He liked the

Jaguar, but he usually drove the Rabbit because the Jaguar was always in the

shop. I learned from that.

Now I'm just trying to get my Rabbit running again.

Again, FFshow worked fine yesterday. It was when I tried to use Premeire

last night to make my first dvd that everything collapsed. And I do mean

pretty much everything.

• 15. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                      THX1142a Level 1

If push comes to shove, I'll wipe my hard drive, re-install Windows XP and

the rest of my software, Office, Winamp, Sonar, etc, throw Premiere in the

trash and consider it a lesson learned. The whole process would take me far

less time than what I have invested so far in trying to get this to work.

What I keep coming back to is that all (yes, I mean ALL) video formats that

I have tried to import, watch and manipulate on my machine have worked with

all software on ALL the computers we have - Until I tried to use Premiere,

and then nothing with an AVI extension, regardless of the source, works with

that software - except the ones I ran through FFshow.

• 16. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                        THX1142a Level 1

Thanks Bill. I will look into that one

• 17. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                          THX1142a Level 1

I just saw this line: Next, PrE relies very heavily on Apple's QT Player, so

updating that will fix many issues.

I don't do QT or iTunes, etc. I've uninstalled it on every machine I

have.That may be the problem. Looks like I need to dump Premiere and either

keep using Windows Movie Maker or, (more practically) some other software.

Thanks. That was the information I needed!

• 18. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not use QT Pro (my updated version) that much, and though I have iTunes, it is quite old, but works fine.

For me, on an XP-Pro SP3 machine, I use QT 7.5.5 and have had zero issues with that, especially with all of my Adobe programs.

Now, I know that PrPro CS5 will require a later version, if one does anything with QT formats. Unlike PrE, PrPro does not rely heavily on QT Player, except when dealing with Apple formats/CODEC's. I will probably have to experiment with later versions, to find one that is stable with CS5, when I upgrade to Win7-64 and to PrPro CS5. That'll give me something to do for a few days... Seems that Apple will release a stable version, and then two that break Adobe programs, then another good one. It is a bit of a crapshoot, and that is why I still have 7.5.5 and no iTunes updates - I need what works.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                              THX1142a Level 1

The article at the top of your post was very helpful in at least helping me understand what is going on. I needed something to sink my teeth into on this issue, and I now have it.

• 20. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                THX1142a Level 1

I have a Panasonic Limux GF1 with a QT installation disk. I'm installing right now. It will be interesting to see if it fixes the

problem for all the other "AVI" files I have. I noticed that K-lite includes the FFshow configuration panels for audio and video, but not the conversion portion (when it installed, it asked me to remove my existing version of ffshow). If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll re-install ffshow (with the converter), batch convert all my old mjpegs from the olympus camera aand be done with it.

Until I come across something else that needs codec manipulation. But one thing at a time. And since I am doing this for family videos and some Youtube stuff, only the creativity sparked by the functionality of the software would make me want to do more - as Windows movie maker did.

BTW, movies from my GF1 can be in either Mjpeg or AVCHD Lite. Gawd, I hope those work with Premiere. I am LITERALLY using this camera AS A VIDEO CAMERA a lot and am using Leica glass from the 50's and 60's.

• 21. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                  THX1142a Level 1

I installed QT  and software off my panasonic GF1 software disk and can now import the mjpegs from my old olympus camera.

Actually, I should have ended that sentence with a large exclamation point.

• 22. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Success is a wonderful thing, and thanks for reporting yours!

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                      THX1142a Level 1

Thanks Bill, but you'll notice with my new thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/767722

It is not a happy ending. It is suggesting that I may be needing a LOT of happy endings before I can really do anything. Is there a manual I can download. I'm at my wits end. I've searched for HOURS in the maze of locations within the Adobe site, to no avail.

• 25. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                        nealeh Level 5

Just press [F1]. That opens up interactive help and also provides a link to the 23MB downloadable manual.

Cheers,
                                                        --
                                                        Neale

• 26. Re: Fuji Finepix camera AVI STILL not working
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the links to the Help files and the downloadable PDF, I also strongly recommend Steve Grisetti's great set of books, available at Muvipix. He covers all aspects of PrE (and one on using it with PSE too), and includes great tips on setting up one's machine for video editing. I cannot be too complimentary of his books.

Good luck,

Hunt