21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 12:56 AM by Harry K

PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

g5hjtts87 Level 1

I upgraded from PRE4 to PRE9 and copied over to PRE9 a DVD menu I created in the past with PRE4 (and which I have been using for a long time in PRE4). The menu showed up without problems in PRE9 and I was work with it just like I did in PRE4.

When I continued editing the project (created with PRE9) after a few days I noticed that I was no longer able to open the project! Instead PRE9 pops up an error message stating "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements".

I am easily able to reproduce the problem. All I need to do is to create the DVD Menu which I copied from PRE4. I can open and edit the PSD files with PSE9 without problems so I'm quite confused....

I'm not extremely fluent with editing PSD files and the last time I worked with them was several years ago so I'd not like to start digging very deep to investigate the problem.

Any ideas on how to proceed...?

• 1. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
          nealeh Level 5

Test it the other way around. Use one of the PRE9 menu templates for a few days and see if the error recurs.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
            g5hjtts87 Level 1

I have no need to test it the other way around. The PRE9 menu templates work and I have no reason to suspect they wouldn't.

I need to understand what has changed in the .PSD file structure between PRE4 and PRE9 which makes them incompatible (although they do work well - but unfortunately only until I close the project and reopen it!).

• 3. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's going on, but I've been editing DVD templates for years and I can assure you that the structure of the version 4 DVD templates is the same of that of the version 9.

So there must be something else at work -- like maybe that you opened a version 4 project in version 9. THAT could cause the problems you describe. So could using video captured in version 4 in version 9.

• 4. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                g5hjtts87 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion, Steve! Unfortunately that was not the case. I created a brand new project with PRE9.

I have now started playing around with the PRE9 built in .PSD files and tried to reconstruct my customized menu structure...

In PRE4 my customized DVD menu template consisted only of the main menu (xxxx_pal_s_mm.psd) having a placeholder for eight menu markers. So I used only main menu markers and no scene menus at all to keep the menu structure simple and straightforward.

I tried to reconstruct my old menu using the PRE9 built-in DVD Menu Template "Travel / Beach Resort" which I copied to a new DVD Template subdirectory I created. Then I copied over the four scenes from the scene menu file (beach resort_pal_s_sm.psd) to the main menu file (beach resort_pal_s_mm.psd). It went well except one thing: The Bonus Menu placehoder is now "robbing" the first main menu marker I create on the timeline.

So if I create four main menu markers in my movie, I will end up with three menu icons plus the bonus menu which always launches the first menu marker in the movie and which even appears to be named after the name I give to the first main menu marker!

Well, then I tried to simply remove the bonus menu from the .PSD file because I have no need for a bonus menu. However after that PRE9 again refuses to open my project stating that the project file is not compatible with PRE9.

I think the simplest way to proceed for me would now be to find a way to somehow "deactivate" or remove the bonus menu in beach resort_pal_s_mm.psd in a proper way so that PRE9 would still be willing to work on the project.

Any ideas on that...?

• 5. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

Sorry, I'm not clear what you're trying to do.

It sounds like you just want a Main Menu with four links to your movie and no Scene Menu.

That should be pretty straightforward. You just modify the menu template so that there is no link to the scene menu!

Beyond that, I'm just not clear what you're trying to do.

You do realize that the order the scene layer sets are stacked in your template determines the order that they'll appear as scene buttons on your menu, right?

• 6. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                    g5hjtts87 Level 1

Thank you for your continued support, Steve, and sorry for not being clear enough!

(as I mentioned I'm not extremely fluent with editing PSD files 8-) I hope this time I'll be at least a bit more clear in explaining what I'm trying to accomplish. Please try to bear with me...

First I want to mention that I'm not trying to do anything else besides what I have already successfully done with PRE4 for years!

First some backgroung information:

I have a large collection of videos covering the time period all the way back to 1980's. I have converted most of them to dual layer DVD ISO format with PRE4 so they are easily accessible with my media player: a few dozens of ISO files each containing some two hours. When I started my conversion project from VHS, S-VHS and DV to DVD I did first some experimentation, which led me to the conclusion that the following menu structure would be the most user friendly for my purposes:

- Use only Main menu templates to have a simple and fast one-level menu structure, i.e. no separate scene menus

- Have the following buttons in the main menu: Play, next Screen, Previous Screen, Main Menu

- Have eight Scene/Chapter buttons "(+)" in the main menu, with icons displaying a picture of the scene

So if one movie file contained 12 scenes, the DVD had a two-page main menu, the first page having the first 8 icons for the first 8 scenes, and the next main menu page having the last four icons for the last four scenes. So all the menu markers I created in the video were Main menu markers.

When I created this main menu template file in PRE4, I did it by duplicating the four scene/chapter buttons from the scene menu file over to the main menu file of one of the build-in templates of PRE4. Then a did a simple copy/paste to obtain the total of 8 scene buttons (with icons) in the main menu template file.

This template has worked for me very well for years. I already have most of my videos converted in DVD ISO files in PRE4 and the result is exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately PRE4 is not very stable and I was having quite serious problems in editing some of my videos containing a very large amount of individual video clips. After having read some reviews about PRE9 stating that Adobe has finally been able to make a stabile version I decided to upgrade to PRE9.

What I did first after upgrading from PRE4 to PRE9 was to simply copy my customized DVD Menu Template into the PRE9 folder and started working expecting my old templates to work just as they did in PRE4.

I first created a new simple "test project" with PRE9 to verify that I really was able use my DVD Menu Templates without problems, and indeed I was able to see and use them in PRE9. So I closed and saved my PRE9 test project and continued with it after a few days....

BUT THEN to my surprise I was not able to even open my test project with PRE9. Instead I received the error message "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements".

After doing some testing I pretty quickly noticed that the reason for the error message was that I used my customized DVD Menu Template which originated from PRE4. So there is obviously some compatibility issue between PRE4 and PRE9 DVD menu Template structres.

Ok, then I started experimenting with the PRE9 built-in DVD Menu Templates and chose the "Beach Resort" as the target to play with.

It seems to me now that using my PRE4 DVD Menu Templates in PRE9 is not a way to go. Something has been changed. One of the changes is most obviously the bonus menu "(+*)" which did not exist in PRE4 - or at least it does not exist in my PRE4 DVD Menu Template.

When I try to reconstruct the main menu template with the structure I described above by using only PRE9 built-in menu templates as the source, I find that the Bonus menu entry grabs one of my menu markers. That's not good since I want all my menu markers to have an icon in the main menu.

Well, then I tried to remove the Bonus menu from the template but after that PRE9 refuses to cooperate with my project file - I get the error "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements". So its seems to me that PRE9 requires the presence of the Bonus Menu in the template and that it also grabs the first main menu marker.

So my understanding is now that I would need to find a way to deactivate the bonus menu somehow...

I want to have a one-level menu structure in order to have a fast and user friendly user interface to my movies. Hence I want to use only the main menu and stay away from the scene menu. I also want to have eight scene markers (with icons) per screen because I have found that this is the maximum amount information that can be displayed on one screen while still having large enough icons and enough space for the scene titles with large enough font size.

If I was still not clear enough please do not hesitate to tell me what or how I should try to clarify further!

• 7. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

Can you post a screen capture of your PSD Layers panel with all of the layer sets visible?

It's probably impossible for me to know what's going wrong without doing a thorough troubleshooting of your file, but it's worth a try, I guess.

If all you're doing is adding 8 scene layer sets to your main menu template and removing the Bonus layer set and you've named and ordered them correctly, there's no reason it should not work -- in version 4 or 8.

I don't know if you learned to edit these DVD templates from my books (available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store), but I do take you step by step through the process as well as provide you with information on the naming and order of the layers. (Though you seem to have a handle on this.)

But something is wrong somewhere. It should work if you're doing it right.

• 8. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                        g5hjtts87 Level 1

Hi Steve and thank you again for your extremely fast reply!

I learned to edit the DVD templates from an article "Premiere Elements 2.0 – DVD and Title Template Guide for designers" (http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/docs/PRE2.0TemplateGuideforDesigners_1105.pdf). Yep, it does not contain the new features developed during the last five years. On the other hand PRE4 had only recently hit the market when I found the article, and it happened to have enough information for me to make those quite simple customizations I needed in order to have my menu structures appear according to my needs.

You mentioned that removing the Bonus menu layer set should work in version 4 or 8. Well, I really do hope that it should work also in PRE version 9 which I'm currently using. And I think that the most trivial test would be to simply remove the Bonus menu layer set from the template file. I tried this test with the PRE9 built-in template file "beach resort_pal_s_mm.psd" which is located in the "Common\Travel\(A) Beach Resort" subfolder.

All I did was to delete the Bonus menu layer set (right-click the layer name and select "Delete Group" in PSE9). Nothing else! After this one and only modification I can no longer even open my PRE9 test project (which contains nothing else but one video clip of 2 minutes plus three main menu markers).

The result in trying to open the project after this template modification is the error message "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements".

Can you verify that you are able to remove the Bonus menu layer set from the main menu template file and after that you really are able open a PRE9 project using that template and having main menu markers inside the project?

Right now I cannot avoid the impression that PRE9 does not allow one to remove the Bonus menu layer set from the main menu template...

• 9. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

Actually I meant version 9, not 8. Sorry.

The templates, since version 3, have worked exactly the same in all versions of the program -- even the Mac version.

And, yes, you can remove the bonus layer set without any detrimental effects.

But I'm not familiar with the article you referenced. I've been doing it (and writing articles and books about doing it) for five years now, so I'm self-taught.

But, as I said, something funny is going on in your templates. I just couldn't tell you what without looking at them.

• 10. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                            g5hjtts87 Level 1

Ok. I will post the screenshot you asked for when I'll arrive to my home office...

• 11. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                              g5hjtts87 Level 1

I guess that it's safest to post the whole template file..

This is the main menu template file I have successfully used with PRE4 for a long time and which PRE9 refuses to cooperate with: http://www.easy-share.com/1913274577/generic1_pal_s_mm.psd

I'm pretty sure that it will not be hard to see that the file is built by a complete noobie... . But at least it has worked well in PRE4 and provided me with just the menu structure and layout I wanted.

• 12. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

Thanks for that, G. Made it much easier to diagnose the problem.

Which, strangely, is that there is no problem at all!

Your layer structure and naming is perfect. I copied it to my Premiere Elements 9 DVD files and, when I opened up the program, it showed up perfectly!

Two things are very important though:

1) Make sure you open a new folder for the template file in C:/PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9/DVD TEMPLATES/COMMON/GENERAL, and

2) Make sure that have both a "mm" main menu and a "sm" scene menu PSD file. You must have both even if you aren't planning to use both or it won't work. (To create your "sm" file, I just did a Save As of your "mm" file and renamed it.)

If you don't want a link to the scene menu, just remove that layer set from the "mm" template and you're all set.

But it does work fine! So if you're having problems with it, it's not the file and it's not Premiere Elements 9.

Hope that helps!

• 13. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                  g5hjtts87 Level 1

Thanks, Steve! It was good to know that they work well in your installation.

Well... to be honest I was secretely hoping that you would find and solve some incompatibility issue in the template file. But anyway it's good to have some point to start from and some direction to go to.

Since the PRE9 installation went without problems I'm afraid I'm now not far from the conclusion that the direction to go to is a complete system reinstall and see if that'll solve the issue. (Oh yes, the two obvious points you mentinoed are ok - but it's always good to check even the most obvious ones, too.)

Once more, thanks a lot for using your time to have a look on this issue, Steve!

• 14. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                    g5hjtts87 Level 1

Erhm... one more question, Steve - if you are still tuned up to this channel.

You mentioned that the DVD template showed up perfectly. But did you try the following sequence all way through:

1. create a new project
                                    2. insert a video clip onto the timeline
                                    3. create a menu using my DVD templates
                                    4. create three main menu markers onto the timeline and enter some text for each title
                                    5. save the project
                                    6. close PRE
                                    7. restart PRE
                                    8. open the same project again successfully and see the menu there

I did a complete system reinstall and i STILL seem get the infamous error message "The project is not compatible with current version of Premiere Elements."

After the reinstallation I today worked happily with my project for hours using my old DVD template and everything was just fine.

Then I saved, closed, exited, restarted and tried to reopen - and here I was again... no go.

• 15. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

Sorry, but it works fine for me.

I know, sometimes it's easier to fix something when it's completely broken. It can be pretty challenging when it's only sporadically broken.

• 16. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                        g5hjtts87 Level 1

After having done some experiments it seems to me now that PRE9 does not accept a framed video clip layer in a main menu element. This can be easily demonstrated by using the built-in DVD Menu Templates that ship with PRE9 Contents distribution DVD.

As soon as I copy a frame and video clip layer from a session menu file into a main menu file inside a "main menu 1" layer group - or as soon as I copy/paste a whole scene layer group from a session menu file into the main menu file  - I get the error message complaining about incompatibility.

I must stress once again that (to my surprise) the error message is not raised before I close and reopen the PRE9 project file. Before that everything works as expected; I have no problems with previewing the menus before closing the project for the first time!

So PRE9 seems to make a too strict consistency check for the project file when opening it...

In PRE4 I had no problems with creating a main menu having video clip elements. I just copied the scene layer groups from the session menu file over to the main menu file and everthing was fine. I have already done a PRE9 reinstall as well as a complete system reinstall but the problem still remains - so I take it that the problem lies within PRE9 and not my computer.

Has anyone been able to create a DVD menu consisting only of the main menu having also some scene buttons with a video layer in PRE9?

• 17. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

As I said, you do need both a main menu (mm) and scene menu (sm) template in order for the template set to work. However, you can delete the link from the main menu to the scene menu so that you only have a main menu and it should work just fine.

• 18. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                            Harry K Level 1

Hello all,

I'd like to know what's causing the problem. My problem seems to be the same: My PRE8 menu shows up OK in PRE9 but it functions only partially. The generated DVD menu contains 4 images and "play all" and "scenes".  In my DVD player, the menu functions correctly (all 6 items). The highlighting works only on the 2 text items but not on the 4 images. Does this sound familiar to you?

Harro

• 19. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harry,

When there are issues with playability, either with Menus, or with the Video material, my first question is: what brand of blank media did you burn to?

Next, how does this disc play on the computer with DVD player software?

Also, as the OP was having issues with custom created Menus, did you alter the Menu Set in any way in PSE? If so, how?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible

It's probably a good idea to start a new thread if you'd like to continue this discussion, Harro, since your question has nothing to do with the rest of this current discussion.

Starting a new thread will help people find you and your topic headline will make them aware of what your problem is.

• 21. Re: PRE4 Disc menus (.PSD) show up ok in PRE9 but not compatible
                                                  Harry K Level 1

I've taken on Steve's suggestion and created a new thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771285

Harry