3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 6:36 AM by Jon-M-Spear

Changing computers: how do I keep project online?.

lukandluk Level 1

I have to change computers. My present one is not powerful enough. I've finished a one hour documentary on the old one. When I go to the new one, I'm afraid of all my clips going offline. Is there some way to restore them online WITHOUT HAVING TO RE-EDIT EACH CLIP?

• 1. Re: Changing computers: how do I keep project online?.
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

As long as you keep the relationship between the folders and the .pproj  the same as on your current computer all will be fine.  You will more than likely need to re-render the preview files, but you won't need to re-work the programme.

At worst, if you do not keep the relationship identical, PP will ask you to point it towards where the clips are stored.  It will then re-link the programme.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing computers: how do I keep project online?.
            lukandluk Level 1

You are my hero!

I'm 76 years old and just started editing, after 50 years of

producing and directing for PBS. These two documentaries are my first total

projects, and I am lost in the morass of technology.

Thanks for the help.

Christopher (Kit) Lukas

Author of Blue Genes: A Memoir of

Loss & Survival

845 359 0075

85 Rockland Road

Sparkill, NY 10976

• 3. Re: Changing computers: how do I keep project online?.
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Enjoy the experience.  I hope you're going to post them up to You Tube when complete.

As a corporate writer and director, I remember my first independent edit - with Premiere 5.  It was soooooo liberating not to be tied to editors' schedules and expensive Avid suites.    Nothing against editors whatsoever.  They are key personnel in many a filmic environment.