4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 7:13 AM by BradyH01

Reader 9 prints gibberish

foresthowlingwolf

I currently have Reader 9 and have encountered an unusual problem I've never seen before with any Reader version.

When I view some of my pdf files on the screen, they look just fine. But when I go to print them out, all I get is gibberish. It's basic formatting is the same...keeps paragraph structure and so on...but the text is like nothing I've ever seen before. The page numbers come out wrong, too.

Only some files do this. They seem to be files that I got from the same source but unfortunately, I'm having no luck contacting the people who put out those files even though they are a seemingly reputable bunch...probably on a month long silent meditation. (it's a buddhist website)

I'm using a Canon ip4700 and have already talked to them about it and they have discounted this as a printer problem.

What I don't get is how come it shows up perfectly readable on screen but not on paper.

Anyone out there ever encounter this and might be able to clue me in on what is causing the problem...and better still...how to fix it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Reader 9 prints gibberish
          CtDave Level 5

The PDF may contain a font family having non-unicode mapping.
          Pulling from an example over in the AUC (a post by UVSAR/Dave Merchant):
          The word "Apple" is seen by us when we view the PDF.
          However, the glyphs for each character map to a non-standard character string (number/value) such as "HG5DRF".
          When printed, the imprint to paper reflects this and we get "HGRDRF" vice "Apple" - hence, the gibberish.

Be well...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reader 9 prints gibberish
            foresthowlingwolf Level 1

Thank you, that at least tells me what the probable problem is.

But I guess that also means that there is nothing I can do to fix it from my end.

The person who put out the documents is the only one that can go back and fix it, am I right? Which means trying to get hold of these people.

Is it possible that people put that kind of "error" deliberately into their documents to prevent people from printing it out? Which in the case, of this particular source doesn't make sense, since they are all about getting this stuff out to everyone. But if it wasn't deliberate, you'd think that other people would be having the same problem as I am and would have reported it to that website umpteen times by now.

Oh, I hate it when things don't add up!

Thanks again, for your information. Much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Reader 9 prints gibberish
              CtDave Level 5

The person who put out the documents is the only one that can go back and fix it, am I right? 
              --| Yes (although one could become well versed in all things font/glyph/mapping tables and from this "decode" - it is a question of how you want to spend your life-minutes, eh?)

Is it possible that people put that kind of "error" deliberately into their documents to prevent people from printing it out?
              --| Yes

But if it wasn't deliberate, you'd think that other people would be having the same problem as I am and would have reported it to that website umpteen times by now.
              --| Actually, no, very often something not done right on the web results in:
              ..... Ya, it's hosed but it is the only game in town so accept it.
              ..... It's hosed and not worth bothering with - find the info (or some acceptable variation) somewhere else on the web (and yes the odds are it is out there).

All too often the "contact" mechanism (if present at all) is like punting something across the blue event horizon. It drops into the black hole never to be seen/heard of again.
              Often those who deploy info do not go to a generic box and then actually try to use a site in the manner of a typical end-user.
              It may be that the content author is unaware of the issue.
              It may be that the issue is "by design".
              So, if there's contact link to the website use it - maybe you can get a dialog started.

Be well...

• 4. Re: Reader 9 prints gibberish
                BradyH01

Workaround:

This is an old workaround I found searching the very same subject and tried it this morning with success!

After selecting File>Print, near the bottom of the window is an "Advanced" button.  click on this.  You will find an option to "Print as Image".  This will allow you to print the PDF exactly as you see it instead of it trying to print the individual lines of text.  An image is an image.

As to the origin of this problem, I do not believe the origination of the document is at fault.  In our office we have over 15 users.  We can have some print the EXACT same PDF without any problems, while other users/computers print the gibberish.  All systems have the same programs and updates (to the best of my knowledge) and we have the same printers.

I am sure there is some obscure Windows update that one system may have that the other do not, hard to say without a lot of time to investigate.

Let us know if this works for you!