5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2010 10:59 AM by mrdior

Image Processor not working for me. Help!

mrdior Level 1

In a nearby thread I've reached a stumbling block. Image Processor in CS4's PS is not working for me. I have a folder of psd's generated on the fly via File > Export > Data Sets as File... and now I'm trying to process those psd's to generate a JPEG of each. The only strange characteristic of the auto-generated PSD files is that there is no image preview available within the Finder. When a psd is selected the preview pane reads:

"This layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image"

I've verified in my Preferences > File Handling that image previews are always saved. (But I've been using PS for a long time and previews are always available with all my manually saved work.)

So here's what happens when I invoke File > Scripts > Image Processor...

In section 1 of the menu I select the source folder where the psd files reside

In section 2, I select 'Save in same location'

In section 3, I select 'Save as JPEG'

In section 4, I change nothing. No special actions. Include ICC profile is checked.

When I select run I get an error message: "Sorry, I could not process the following files:"

And then it lists what appears to be 3 lines per psd file in the source directory:

The path to the source dir

The name of the source dir

The [source_dir]/[filename.psd]

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Image Processor not working for me. Help!
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

mrdior wrote:

I have a folder of psd's generated on the fly via File > Export > Data Sets as File... and now I'm trying to process those psd's to generate a JPEG of each. The only strange characteristic of the auto-generated PSD files is that there is no image preview available within the Finder. When a psd is selected the preview pane reads:

The part I don't understand is the "export" Part. File > Export > Data Sets as File.. on my machine is grayed out so I don't know how this feature is used. Is Export > Data Sets as File... used with CSV data sets and Photoshop variables?

Check your Photoshop preferences and make sure you have set in the file handling tab "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility:" to Always using the pull down menu. If that is not your current setting try setting that to see if the exported PSD files contain composite previews. When I use save as PSD on my system I alway see Photoshop save through up a popup window stating generating composite preview image.

• 2. Re: Image Processor not working for me. Help!
            Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

I may be misunderstanding something here… but you have used data driven graphics to create psd files and you require jpg? Can't you just record a plain old action with steps 'flatten' then 'save as' and run this in a batch mode? There are no conditions here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Image Processor not working for me. Help!
              mrdior Level 1

Thanks JJMack. I had not set the "Maximize PSD..." to Always. Now I get previews!!

But Image Processor is still not working on the output PSDs. So I'm headed back to my other post.  ;-)

And, yes, I'm using File > Export > Data Sets as File to generate psd's after using Image > Variables > Define and Image > Variables > Data Set. The Data Set specified is a CSV file.

• 4. Re: Image Processor not working for me. Help!
                mrdior Level 1

I should note I had "Maximize..." set to Ask. Duh.

• 5. Re: Image Processor not working for me. Help!
                  mrdior Level 1

Muppet Mark... I'm new to this stuff... but based on my understanding thus far, yeah, I think you're right. I'm about to head back to my other thread where I'm stuck with the Image Processor. I'm SO confused why that's not working for me.

Either way, I would like my ultimate solution to be fully automated via a script. From opening PS, opening the gift cert template with variable text fields, importing the CSV file, iterating and saving PSDs, and then reading those in and saving JPEGs. (Though I don't see why I need to create psd's for each before creating jpegs.)