4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 11:19 AM by x3sw

Cannot associate Reader with any file in Windows 7

x3sw

I have recently installed Windows 7, but have a problem with Reader.  I installed Reader X but could not open this by clicking on a PDF file.  On using Open With.., I was able to select AcroRd32.exe but Windows did not show this in the list of available default programs.  I then uninstalled Reader X and reverted to (.0.  Howver the position remainmed the same.  Briefly I can associate almost any program on the machine with PDF files, but cannot associate Reader with any.  e.g. if I try to change a TXT file to use Reader the same applies as with a PDF file.  Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Cannot associate Reader with any file in Windows 7
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You uninstalled Reader X, did you re-install it or any other version of Reader?

• 2. Re: Cannot associate Reader with any file in Windows 7
            pwillener Level 8

Installing the Reader should automatically set the file associations.  Did you install as an Administrator user?

When manually associating a program to a filetype, Windows may not show you all the installed programs, but will give you a browse option.  Just navigate to the Reader install location and select AcroRd32.exe

• 3. Re: Cannot associate Reader with any file in Windows 7
              x3sw Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions. If I may reply to both of the replies to my original question.

Firstly, having uninstalled X, I reinstalled version 9 and the result was the same.

I know, from previous experience that installing the package should set the file association, but, for some reason, it did not.  I did install this as Administrator.

I have tried the "Browse" option both from right clicking a PDF file in Windows Explorer and selecting "Open With" and also from Default Progams in the Start Menu.  The result is always the same, when I navigate to the .:\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe file this is highlighted but does not then appear in the available programs pane.  It seem as if Window does not recognise it as such.

However, the application starts OK from the Start Menu, Desktop and also from my we browser (Firefox).  I have temporarily overcome the prob. by setting the default progarm to Firefox and starting Reader that way.

Any other ideas?

• 4. Re: Cannot associate Reader with any file in Windows 7
                x3sw Level 1

I have now resolved this problem.  I found the following on a Windows 7 forum:

In regedit: Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name.
                Navigate under its name to shell>open>command. In the Default change its location to the actual location of the executable, hit okay and then try and reassociate the file type as you normally would.

This worked and allowed me to asscociate PDF files with Reader.