16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 11:29 AM by lswarte

APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore

lswarte Level 1

My APE8 doesn't opene any projects anymore. In some cases it allows me to create a new project, but after shutting down the computer and restarting it the next day or so it cannot open the project I made th day before. As a matter of fact: it cannot open any project anymore.

After clicking to open the project a small window appears with a bar indicating the percentage the project has loaded. When the bar reaches 100% it disappears and nothing comes instead of it: the screen stays grey as shown in the screenshot.

Screenshot-3.jpg

There is a menu bar however.

In Adobe help and through Customer Support is searched for help as well. I worked my way throught 2 documents: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51584.html and http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51552.html. I both did them step by step. including the removal and re-installation of the software. Nothing helped, the results stay the same: projects do not open, and the screen stays grey.

Can anybody help me?

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.

• 1. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
          nealeh Level 5

Here are some general points you should work through to maximise your chances of success

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Free up at least 30GB, preferably 60GB disk space
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

From your description the graphics card driver and QuickTime updates may be worth trying first.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
            lswarte Level 1

Hi Neale,

It seems the Quick Time update from 7.6.8 tot 7.6.9 did the trick.

Thank you so much.

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.

• 3. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Now you know why it's always the first thing we recommend people do, Laurens!

• 4. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                nealeh Level 5

Pleased to hear it's all worked out. Happy editing.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                  lswarte Level 1

Kind of weird however that nobody at the helpdesk suggested me to

do what Neale did.

• 6. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                    lswarte Level 1

Unfortunately it came back. Same situation

as described before, but with one additional very annoying fact: movies do no longer play

in the organiser as well.

If I double click any movie clip to play it the screen turns black, showing nothing at all. No sound, no pictures.

Video.jpg

It's a strange situation. Anybody any suggestions?

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.

• 7. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                      nealeh Level 5

Did you work through the complete list I gave you above (graphics drivers, windows updates etc ....

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                        lswarte Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thank you for being there again...

I worked through your list:

• Install all Windows Updates. (All updates are installed)
                        • Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it. (I updated from 7.6.8 to 7.6.9)
                        • •Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites. (The most recent versions are installed: video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 V 8.631.0.0; sound ATI High Definition Audio Device V5.0.7000.4)
                        • Free up at least 30GB, preferably 60GB disk space(130 GB available)
                        • Run Disk Cleanup. (I did so)
                        • Run Defragmenter. (I did so)
                        • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning. (I use McAfee, and it is kind of hard to find the 'switch'... I haven't been able to switch it off yet.)

Tonight, when I started my computer up, APE worked. After closing APE and using the IE I could no longer open my project.

Sometimes I feel as if it might have something to do with a memory issue. As if there is not enough memory. I use a Dell Studio XPS 16 with Windows 7 and 4 GB memory and 1920x1080 resolution.

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands

• 9. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                          nealeh Level 5

Of all the anti-virus programs around McAfee causes the most problems for PRE on these forums. Many posters here have resolved their problems by disabling it during their PRE sessions.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Avast! offers a free antivirus program that's much better than McAfee and Norton in nearly every way. It also is less intrusive, so it rarely causes problems for video editors.

You can download it from here.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                              lswarte Level 1

Gentlemen,

Tonight I, first of all, searched for a way to disable McAfee. I found a way to disable it for a certain period of time. Hence, I switched it of for 1 hour and did some simple tests:

1. After having switched of McAfee APE starts remarkably quicker than it used to. It did not have any trouble opening my latest project.
                              2. I restarted my computer, found out that McAfee started itself as well. I switched it of again, and did the same test with the same result.
                              3. I closed APE and ran the IE, Outlook and Skype. (Usually APE starts if I use it as the first program during a Windows session, but it never does if I use any other software before using APE.) After closing  the IE, Outlook and Skype I restarted McAfee. Than I started APE. It did not open my latest project, and showed all signs of the troubles I described earlier.
                              4. I switched of McAfee, and tha started APE again. It did not have any trouble opening my latest project.

In my opinion these tests suggests that Nealeh's statement is correct. How do you think about my test?

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.

• 12. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                                nealeh Level 5

Comprehensively tested and quite conclusive. Glad that it worked for you. personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials for realtime anti-virus and SuperAntiSpyware Professional for (surprise surprise) anti-spyware.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                                  lswarte Level 1

Hi Nealeh,

In the meantime I have done many more tests. The result is always the same: if McAfee is disabled, APE functions. If McAfee is disabled, APE doesn't function unless it is the first program I start after starting up the computer.

Thank you, once more, for your valuable advise. Now I know what to do.

Now you're here anyway, please allow me to ask you another question: on my computer there is a folder 'media cache files' which sizes some 11 GB. (C:\Users\Laurens\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Mediacache\Media Cache Files see the included screenshot)

MediaCacheFiles.jpg

I really do not know what it is used for, and sometimes I feel like cleaning up the folder. But I am a bit afraid to do so since I do not know what the consequences will be.

Can you tell me the use of this folder, and what the consequences of deleting the files in the folder will be?

Thank you in advance,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.

• 14. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                                    nealeh Level 5

When you have a timeline with red lines at the top of it it means that PRE is showing you a 'rough' preview of what your effects and transitions will look like. When you press [Enter] to render the timeline (i.e. turn the red lines green) it is because PRE is doing a temporary render of your project. The files for those renders go into the Media cache folder.

It is NOT compulsory to perform these renders during the project build because PRE will always render the necessary files when you Share the project. Many users will set the Work Area Bar to just a portion of the timeline (perhaps for a complex set of layers, effects and transitions) and only render that part of the project.

So you can delete those media cache entries without causing any 'damage'. But when you go back into the project, without those renders, you will see red lines again across the timeline where you have effects, transitions and layers.

When you create Projects always create them in a new folder just for that project. Then, when complete, you can delete all those PRE created folders for that Project. If you have multiple projects in a single folder you will have to delete each item for the finished project, manually.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Also in the Media Cache structure, there will be the CFA and PEK files for the Conformed Audio, and the Waveform Display. The CFA's are large. If one Deletes those, then PrE will need to regenerate them, when one Opens that Project.

These are all part of the "working files," that PrE needs, and a big reason for the requirement for so much defragmented, free space on the HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: APE8 doesn't open any projects anymore
                                        lswarte Level 1

Very clear.

Thank you so much.

With kind regards,

Laurens Swarte

the Netherlands.