9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 12:16 PM by jvmonteiro

3d object in Flash

jvmonteiro Level 1

I made this 3d object with Illustrator and I would like to make a small SWF of the object revolving with Flash. No need for interactivity. Is there a simple way (accessible to a layman such as myself) to go about it?

Thank you all

• 1. Re: 3d object in Flash
          eLearningDave Level 2

Is this 3D object you created actually animated with Illustrator?

dave

• 2. Re: 3d object in Flash
            jvmonteiro Level 1

Hi Dave,

No, that's the point. I just drew it with Illustrator and used the effects+extrude & revolve filtter. Now I would like to have it spin around in Flash to show all sides but I don't even know if that's possible at all...

Cheers

JV

• 3. Re: 3d object in Flash
              eLearningDave Level 2

Hi,

I rarely use Illustrator (probably should more) but here is what I do to bring in a 3D animation into Flash.  I use 3DS Max to create an animation then:

1. render about every 3 frames of the animation to reduce file size (3 works pretty well for smooth motion)

2. pull those frames into photoshop and use the alpha information from those frames to extract the "object" from the background for each frame placing each frame on its own layer in photoshop.

3. save the .psd and then import the .psd into flash (make sure during import to have flash put the layers as keyframes, not layers)

4. drag the newly created movieclip onto the stage and play.

this creates some pretty smooth 3D animation that you can interact with the movieclip.  the file gets a little large because of the sequential images but with carefull consideration of the amount of frames you need you can get by with some reasonable file sizes.  One thing I have found on some animations is that the imported .psd files in flash seem to have some jaggy edges on the individual frames.  I have corrected this problem by saving the .psd layers out to individual .png files and then importing these .png files into flash and removing the imported .psd frames, really just replacing the imported ones with the new, cleaner, .png files, kind of a pain, but worth the quality i think (you can export the layers of a .psd file under file - scripts - export layers to files), really easy.

Of course the cleanest way would be to use CS5's native 3D support but then if you aren't using AS3 this in not an option.

Not being a very good user of Illustrator I'm assuming you could to the same thing as I do with 3DS Max, render out the frames of the animation to individual frames and then apply the same process as I've outlined above.  Good luck.

dave

• 4. Re: 3d object in Flash
                jvmonteiro Level 1

Hi,

Well, on my part I don't use 3DS Max (nor do I do work with 3D in general) but I got the idea though, and it should work just fine with Illustrator as well: To export several frames of the rotated object,  and then make a motion tween out of them in Flash. That is an option I didn't think of!

Thanks a lot Dave!

• 5. Re: 3d object in Flash
                  AdeptDigital Level 2

What version of Flash are you using?  The Motion Tween function is going to be very interesting with the vector shape.  I see many keyframe assistants in your future.  Also, what is the shape you are looking to animate?  I have had really good luck using AfterEffects to create spinning coins and medalions with little to no use of keyframe tweens or assistants when I render the movements in AE and import the movie file into Flash and embed it into the timeline.  Feel free to look at some examples of text effects in AE used in Flash on my website: www.justbe-graphics.com, they are on the bottom with the video content.  I was able to output the effects as individual files and combine them in Flash when I used them on my client's websites.  Here they are presented as FLV files but I think you can get the idea.

When working with complex animations AfterEffects rules.

Good Luck,

Brett

• 6. Re: 3d object in Flash
                    eLearningDave Level 2

No problem.  I figured you would get the idea, same process just different software to get to the end result.

dave

• 7. Re: 3d object in Flash
                      jvmonteiro Level 1

Thanks for the input Brett. I watched some of your work and that's awesome. I guess I'm over the top of my head here, you know, I'm just an amateur and that idea of bringing into Flash my 3D object (which is just an ink cartdrige) is only working to some extent...Each new frame I import to stage, creates a new layer and as I try to 'play the movie' they all show on top of each other...There is too much I need to learn about animation and I'm not sure I'm up to it, you know

Btw, this the cartdrige I'm trying to get spinning in Flash

• 8. Re: 3d object in Flash
                        AdeptDigital Level 2

Sounds like you imported the different frames of the image into Flash as layers instead of Keyframes.  Try puting each individual image in the animation on the same layer.  Image 1 on Frame 1, Image 2 on Frame 2, and so on.  Just make sure that the anchor point on each frame is in at the same coordinate or the cartridge you are spinning will jitter.  If the rotation is too fast then stretch Image 1 onto Frames 1-3 and Image 2 onto Frames 4-6 and so on.  The greater the range of Frames the longer the animation.

I was serious about AfterEffects, this program rocks and would make this job both easy and quick.

Good Luck,

Brett

P.s. Flag the answers that help as "helpful" to award the points to the contributor.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: 3d object in Flash
                          jvmonteiro Level 1

Sure thing Brett, and sorry I didn't mind the points before ('coz I replied straight from my e-mail). I'm closing in on it but the problem lays exactly on the manner of export/import from Illustrator. I can't expect you folks to explain all that and I'll have to figure it out by myself but so far what I did was to use the 'export as SWF' option from Illy and - embarrassed to admit - I exported each frame as an individual file... I know there's a much better way to do this but I still can't remember how...

Cheers

JV