26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 12:30 AM by Kshakti

Adobe Reader X error messages

seymush

Since I installed Adobe Reader X the frist time I open the reader I always got the following error message popups:

"CreateFileMapping error" and after that "CreateMapView error".

After clicking both popups the reader opens.

I am using Windows XP professional SP3 on Acer TravelMate 6592 laptop.

I switched back to reader 9.4 and the problem is not there.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
          AbhigyanModi Adobe Employee

Which virus scanner are you using? See some listed incompatibilities at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html#main_antivirus

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
            seymush Level 1

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop together with the MS firewall. None of those mentioned. I use Firefox 3.6 as default browser, but I also get the problem when I open Acrobat X from the desktop icon. In some rare occasions the pdf file did not open in the past.Then I did a repair and reconfigured applications in the browser options. Still I get the same error messages.The graphics card is ATI Radeom Mobile. Is there any other software or configuration that might cause problems on the Acer laptop? Herman

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
              ramm85

I have the exact same error as seymuch on my Acer TravelMate 2492 with windows xp home sp3. I also use Microsoft Security Essentials v2.0. I have tried to disable the realtime-protection but it doesn't help. Would love to get rid of this annoying error.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                duijv023

I am experiencing the same problem on my notebook.

It is an Acer Travelmate 6292, Win XP SP3 fully patched.

I do not use Symantec or McAfee, but ESET NOD32 v4.2.67.10.

Could it be this may be related to Acer preinstalled software, such as Acer Empowering Technology, Acer eSettings Management, Acer ePower Management, Acer Gridvista??

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                  JJMack2121

I am experiencing the same error messages.

I have an ACER TRAVELMATE 6592 running Windows XP with SP3 and all latest security updates.

I have a feeling as well that it is the Acer Empowering Technology suite of services that may be interfering.

Has anyone had any success yet figuring this out?

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                    Znote 6015WD

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:35:40 -0700

To: [email address deleted by host]

Subject: Adobe Reader Re: Adobe Reader X error messages

I am experiencing the same error messages.

I have an ACER TRAVELMATE 6592 running Windows XP with SP3 and all latest security updates.

I have a feeling as well that it is the Acer Empowering Technology suite of services that may be interfering.

Has anyone had any success yet figuring this out?

>

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                      Stix2011

Same issue here ... Acer Extensa 5630Z running ESET NOD/32 antivirus and Acer Empowering Technology running in the background. OS is Win XP with SP3.

Thanks in advance.

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                        grahamft Level 1

I too am getting this problem since upgrading to Reader X.  It didn't happen with previous releases.  I am using WindowsXP SP3 but with Avast! Antivirus 6 (Latest release).  This is clearly an Adobe problem.  In the meantime I have swapped to using the freeware Foxit Reader as my default PDF reader.  Actually, I like it a lot.  I may deinstall Adobe Reader and stick with this if Adobe don't get their finger out pretty damn smartish!

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                          grahamft Level 1

BTW, the message actually says, "CreateFileMapping errror" which tells you a lot about Adobe's QA!!!!!!

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                            lccseh1

Same problem. I am also an Acer user (TravelMate 6292).

Has anyone tried just uninstalling and then installing Adobe Reader X ?

In my case, it is not only the annoying createmapview errors, but in QuickBooks online I cannot (in most cases) open pdf output that I need to print.

Les

Don't Pay Bank Prices For Checks

www.asapchecks.com

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                              seymush Level 1

Yes, I tried several times to reinstall Adobe X. I installed on C drive and on D drive, No use.

I also have the feeling the preinstalled software of Acer is interfering. I do not have this problem on my assembled desktop.

Herman

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                neversaynever2

I’m experiencing exactly the same error massage (“CreateFileMapping error” and then “CreateMapView error” only the first time I open the reader).

My notebook is an ACER TRAVELMATE 6592G with Windows XP Pro SP3 updated.

My antivirus is ESET NOD32 v 4.0.468.1

No error with 9 version that worked fine.

No advice from Adobe in three months ?

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                  lccseh1 Level 1

I will try to report this to Acer but it may not be for another week.

Thanks,

Les

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                    aparso

I too have an acer, an older Aspire 5100.  One of the posts suspected the eMpowering software.  While it cannot be completely disable without uninstalling the software, you can go into the task manager and kill off many of the non-service processes.  On my WinXP SP3 laptop, i disabled everything that was eXXXX.exe Acer Empowering related tasks and any services automatically restarted themselves, but the remainder stayed disabled.  Before disabling, I could not load a PDF at all, the createfilemapping failed and had to end the Adobe task manually thru the task manager.  Once disabling as many of the Acer tasks as I could, i retried the PDF i was trying to view with instant success.

Hope this works for more people.

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                      grahamft Level 1

That's really interesting but it doesn't change anything.  Acer's software was running before these problems started occurring, with the previous release of Adobe Reader.  The problems have only started with the upgrade to Reader X so it's fair to assume that the problem is in Reader X, regardless of whether of not you can work around the problem by disabling other software.  It's still Adobe that needs to fix the problem, not Acer.

In the meantime, I'm using Foxit and it works really well, without any of the problems that Reader X displays.

• 16. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                        The_Other_Ernie

I agree with neversaynever2. I have an older Acer Aspire 5102 running XP Home w/SP3 and all the updates. I've also beefed up my system from the original 1GB to 2GB of memory. Why is this relevant? Because an additional problem surfaces with large documents.

For years I've been using Adobe to read my digital copies of computer manuals that are provided with the hardcopy manuals. It WAS nice to be able to quickly search for something but now, in addition to the other error (CreateFileMapping error and all) is added one for "Out of memory" when opening my digital copy of John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Formulas. My system memory is just fine at 1GB free with Adobe Reader loaded and the manual open for reading.

Oh, and I only get the other errors on documents over 3 pages in length... so far. Those of one or two don't seem to trigger the initial errors on document opening.

So, where do I find a copy of Foxit Reader for my own? Let's see, how about a nice internet search and grab it online. Yeah.

• 17. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                          ManishPali Adobe Employee

Could you please try turning off Reader X protected mode and check if you continue to see the problem?

You could turn off protected mode using following steps:

1. Launch Reader X and select Edit->Preferences...

2. Select General from left navigation

3. Under application startup uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at Startup"

Note: You should switch "ON" protected mode after verifying the problem. Purpose of Reader X Protected Mode is to keep your system safe from PDF based exploits and keeping protected mode OFF will leave your system vulnerable.

• 18. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                            lccseh1 Level 1

Thanks for this.

If I turn off protected mode startup, then I do not get the errors. When I turn it back on, the errors return.

Les

Don't Overpay for Checks

www.AsapChecks.com

• 19. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                              neversaynever2 Level 1

Thanks for your interest.

No error with protect mode at startup desabled.

The errors appear again with protect mode enabled.

• 20. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                The_Other_Ernie Level 1

Historically, Adobe Reader has gotten along with legacy systems, software, anti-virus and malware applications and suites, and all. Now Adobe wants US to 'patch' their incompatible beta software so it works.

I noticed this problem has been around since December 2010 and nothing--I repeat, nothing--has been done to address it. Instead you want us to 'patch' your problem for you. Sorry, I have already uninstalled your worthless application and I will install something else once I find a suitable PDF reader.

It would seem that Adobe, like many a firm before them, has forgotten what made them what they have become and want to live on their fame instead of insuring it continues. Will Adobe, like those before them, go on to sink into the sunset and become only a bad memory? Those of you in customer service monitoring this forum need to get on the ball and enlighten your development folk.  If you need better development personnel than what you have now, there are many here in the good old US of A that would love to work for you.  Just ask.

• 21. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                  grahamft Level 1

I can also confirm that turning off "Protected Mode" prevents the error messages being produced.

• 22. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                    seymush Level 1

So it confirms there is a bug in Acrobat readerX. What is Adobe going to do about this?I find it unacceptable to switch off a vital security feature for a bug in the Reader X program,

The error messages are not there with all the other versions nor with Foxit reader which I am currently using.

Regards

Herman

• 23. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                      Kshakti Adobe Employee
                                                      Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,

Adobe Prerelease Team

• 24. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                        neversaynever2 Level 1

The version 10.1.0 installed today, is OK. No more error opening Adobe Reader.

Thank you.

• 25. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                          Malablues

I am having trouble opening pdf files using IE browser. Windows XP SP3, Adobe and IE updated to latest versions. Already tried these trouble shooting suggestions:

Troubleshooting

The funny thing is I have an identical computer that works just fine. Well, maybe not identical since they are pay-per-use terminals, so someone may have messed with some setting.

Any suggestions for a fix would be much appreciated.

Mahalo,
                                                          Bruce
                                                          Maui Printing Services

• 26. Re: Adobe Reader X error messages
                                                            Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

Is the issue faced by you occured recently or its for long?

Please let me know the exact issue faced by you on opening an PDF file in IE.(which version of IE?).

Adobe Reader is Reader X? Also, please try opening the same PDF in FireFox and let me know the observations.

Thanks.