1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 5:23 AM by Steve Grisetti

A few quick pointers for video editing please

Noname1313 Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to filming and I'm new to PE (I have PE9), but unfortunately I've been landed with making a DVD which I'd like to do reasonably well but needs to be done soonish (i..e ahead of my natural learning curve). So if you could just explain in the easiest terms how to do the following, I'd be very grateful.

- I want to use a video clip as a background to the DVD menu (I'll use one of the templates), but I want to apply some effects (i.e. cartoon) to the clip first (doesn't seem possible in the 'Disc Menus' panel). Do I have to edit the clip on its own, add the effects, save it, and then use that to add to the DVD menu? As for the transition, I am undecided whether it should simply merge the beginning and end into an endless loop (the end fades into the beginning) or whether I should play the video in reverse then loop (it's a panning shot, so would e.g. go from left to right, then right to left, then back again etc etc). How would I achieve these effects?

- The sound for the DVD menu should not come from the above video clip, but from the sound of another video clip. How?

- How can I adjust the audio on selected portions of a video clip rather than the whole thing? (speeches need to be louder, music bits quieter)

Thanks very much!

• 1. Re: A few quick pointers for video editing please
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a lot to try to cover in a single post, Noname.

Meantime, have you checked out my Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials on support site http://Muvipix.com? That will get you started.

And, if you really want to know everything about every tool in the program, you may want to consider picking up one of my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

Meantime:

Yes, the video you use as a menu page background must be in its final form. You can not add effects or edit a clip in the Disc Menus workspace area.

Your final sound will be a mix of all of the sound on all of your audio tracks. By raising and lowering the horizontal yellow line through the clips, you can increase or lower the volume for a clip. You can also use audio keyframing to raise and lower the volume at specific spots in any clip.