8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 9:11 AM by flbreen

SMART Event

flbreen Level 1

My PC has 5 drives 4 in RAID 5.

The 5th drive runs w7 and cs5

The 4 drives in RAID 5 are 1TB hard drives

4 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

One of the RAID drives is reporting a SMART EVENT every time I boot up the system.

Premiere Pro stops and skips when I edit video.

I have several projects currently on this system.

The latest project is the only one affected by this problem.

What should I do?

• 1. Re: SMART Event
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Smart event's mean the associated drive is likely going to fail soon. Smart is still not 100% reliable since it's still relatively new but it has become far more reliable than it use to be. Based on what you are seeing, you need to replace the drive.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: SMART Event
            flbreen Level 1

Thanks

Do I just shut off the PC and put a new identical hard drive in?

Will the mobo re-populate the new drive?

• 3. Re: SMART Event
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, the array will be rebuild automatically. To avoid even the tiniest risk, remove the failing disk, reboot and let the array show 'failed'. Then insert the new disk and reboot again. Now it will rebuild for sure.

• 4. Re: SMART Event
                flbreen Level 1

Thanks

Just to go over the steps in order:

1) Remove broken Disk

2) Turn on PC (see failed status for broken disk SATA port instead of SMART)

3) Turn off PC

4) Install new disk

5) Turn on PC

What will I see happen when the PC boots up?

• 5. Re: SMART Event
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Depending on the controlller in use you will see a message stating something like: 'Array failed or array degraded' but then will boot normally. After replacement of the HDD and rebooting you will see something like: 'Array rebuilding'.

• 6. Re: SMART Event
                    flbreen Level 1

I inserted the new drive and I think I am OK.

I disconnected the bad drive and started up the PC (ASUS MOBO) and it started up with no hesitation.

It used to stop with a SATA error.

I put in the new drive and started up the PC again and it showed the new drive as NON-RAID.

W7 asked me to install the new drive but I didn't.

I started the PC again and I went into setup mode where I was asked to reconstruct the array.

I said Yes and everything looks OK.

One question about my RAID setup.

I have one 320GB for W7 (C:) and CS5.

I have four 1TB drives in RAID 5 (D:).

Where do I put my Pr

Media Cashe Files  & Media Cash Database

Thanks

• 7. Re: SMART Event
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Look at the 5 disk setup here: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: SMART Event
                        flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the info.

But could you verify how to correctly set the media files for the 5 drive system to the D:drive.

I would begin by making a folder for my Pr project on the D: drive and put my Pr project in that folder.

The next thing to do is to go to Edit > Preferences > Media and set the folders for the Media Cashe Files and Media Cashe Database to the project folder on the D: drive.

When the project is complete delete the project folder.

Another question about storage for Encore.

I am finding that Encore fills up my C: drive and I have to do a Clean Database on the media.

Is there any way to prevent the Encore media files from going on to C:?

Lastly I spoke too soon about the results of my replacement of a drive in my RAID 5 system.

When I tried to move a file from a file from my FS-4 video recorder to my RAID 5 system the transfre rate is terribly slow.

This is the same problem I had before with this system until I got a new MOBO and started over.

This problem did not exist until I installed the new drive.

The system worked well even when I was getting the SMART Event error.

I just learned from the support person ar ASUS that my MOBO P6T SE does not support mixed RAID and NON-Raid configurations.

It had been running well in mixed configuration before my latest problem.

I included a photo of my current setup.

Please comment if you can.