7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 12:52 AM by osgood_

Link color won't use 'default'

michelledv

Hi,

I've used a DW template and built my pages from there.   Several links on all pages in different colors.   When designing, the proper color chosen, does show.  When I go to Page Properties to make the link categories (rollover, viewed, etc.) the default color, they are turning blueish purple depending on the browser.

Isn't 'default' supposed to keep the programmed color?

I want to keep the link colors I programmed, with only a rollover link showing.   What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!
      Michelle

• 1. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
          osgood_ Level 8

Set your page links with css NOT via the page properties:

Either add the below to your css stylesheet IF you are using one: (change color of links to suit your design)

a {

color: #396;

text-decoration: none;

}

a:hover {

color: #09C;

}

or IF you are NOT using a css stylesheet then cut the below code and paste it in your pages code directly before the closing </head > tag which is near to the top of the page.

<style type="text/css">

a {

color: #396;

text-decoration: none;

}

a:hover {

color: #09C;

}

</style>

• 2. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
            michelledv Level 1

Thank you Osgood!

I've looked at that a THOUSAND times...and didn't think I should change it.  So here's my question:  by using that code right before </head> it still changes all of the links on every page to one color.  There are different colored sections on the page, which consequently use different colored text regardless of whether or not they are links.

If I use your code, I will format all in one color, right?  Then, in order to keep the different colors of text in different sections of the page(s) I should be able to do just do a <New Inline Style> right?

Thanks so much for your help Osgood...I have been searching this for days...and losing my mind!

Michelle

• 3. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
              osgood_ Level 8

michelledv wrote:

Thank you Osgood!

I've looked at that a THOUSAND times...and didn't think I should change it.  So here's my question:  by using that code right before </head> it still changes all of the links on every page to one color.  There are different colored sections on the page, which consequently use different colored text regardless of whether or not they are links.

If I use your code, I will format all in one color, right?  Then, in order to keep the different colors of text in different sections of the page(s) I should be able to do just do a <New Inline Style> right?

Thanks so much for your help Osgood...I have been searching this for days...and losing my mind!

Michelle

If you need different coloured links in different sections on the same page then you can target those links.

Example: Lets say your links are in a container with the 'id' of 'content'

<div id="content">

<a href="#">Link One</a>

<a href="#">Link Two</a>

</div>

Then you can write some css so it just styles up the links within the 'content' container:

#content a {

color: #60C;

}

#content: a:hover {

color: #39F;

}

• 5. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
                michelledv Level 1

Thanks so much Osgood and John Waller!  I've actually been to the projectseven site a few times in the last few days!   Thanks for the help!

Happy Holidays!
                Michelle

• 6. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
                  michelledv Level 1

Sorry to bother you again Osgood.   I think I'm putting the info you shared, in the wrong spot.  Can you tell me exactly where I add the code?  I have mixed this around about 6 times since your reply!

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Link color won't use 'default'
                    osgood_ Level 8

michelledv wrote:

Sorry to bother you again Osgood.   I think I'm putting the info you shared, in the wrong spot.  Can you tell me exactly where I add the code?  I have mixed this around about 6 times since your reply!

Thanks!

It's difficult to help if you don't provide a link to the problem page.

Basically you can sryle any link on the page you want by simply adding some css to your page either in a linked css stylesheet or if you are not using a linked css stylesheet you can embed the css in the head section of the page.

An embebbed style sheet is as below: You insert the code from <style.............to..........</style> in your pages code directly before the closing </head> tag (see below).

<style type="text/css">

#content a {

color: #3C9;

}

#content a:hover {

color: #F90;

}

</style>

</head>

The above css says: Make a link this color (#3C9) in a container with the 'id' of 'content' and make the hover this color (#F90).

Typically your html code would look like:

<div id="content">

<a href="about_us.html">About Us</a>

<a href="contact.html">Contact</a>

</div>