5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 9:04 PM by tooMuchTrouble

creating route map

acehema Level 1

Hi ,

I need to show  directions in a map depending on the input given .  for instance, the  user may type like 'show me the route from from building A to building  B' . I need to show the route from building A to B. I have an image file  of the map . Is there a way to show the route in Flex ?

• 1. Re: creating route map
          Claudiu Ursica Level 4

I think you should look into real maps like google's or yahoo, or umapper.com.

C

• 2. Re: creating route map
            acehema Level 1

I looked through Tour de Flex .  Is there any way to drill down only to a specific portion of a map in Google maps and show the routes between two points depending on latitude and longitude as how it is done in Google maps .

• 3. Re: creating route map
              tooMuchTrouble Level 3

On 12/17/2010 12:43 AM, acehema said:

>

I looked through Tour de Flex .  Is there any way to drill down only to a

specific portion of a map in Google maps and show the routes between two

points depending on latitude and longitude as how it is done in Google maps

you mean like this (routing tab)?

http://geoinformatics.sut.ac.th/campusMap/campusMap.html

if google has road networks for your project area, you should be good to go

(though as in this case, the vector road data doesn't quite match the real world

but it will tell you basically how to get from point a to point b).

if not then you might need to use postGIS/pgRouting serverside.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: creating route map
                acehema Level 1

Thanks Paul . I am looking for something very similar to the route tab . I got errors while viewing it in the browser though . Does the route actually draw routes on the map or just populate the data grid . In google maps,  I was able to get the routes for certain point to point locations but some points gave "unknown address" error . Is the only way to show route between an unknown address and a known point through postGIS/pgRouting ?

• 5. Re: creating route map
                  tooMuchTrouble Level 3

On 12/17/2010 10:48 AM, acehema said:

>

Thanks Paul . I am looking for something very similar to the route tab . I

got errors while viewing it in the browser though . Does the route actually

what errors?

draw routes on the map or just populate the data grid . In google maps,  I

draws routes (polyline) on the map via google.

was able to get the routes for certain point to point locations but some

points gave "unknown address" error . Is the only way to show route between

an unknown address and a known point through postGIS/pgRouting ?

no, if you have the lat/long coordinates of any given point (and google has a

road network near by) you can route. that's what those origin/destinations (OD)

pull downs are, just a name & lat/long coords (google doesn't actually know

there's a 7-11 in that univ). those pushpin icons next to the OD pulldowns allow

you to randomly set start & end points, google will try it's best to find a road

network near those points & run the route.

serverside postGIS/pgRouting would be a good option if google had no road

network in your project area or it was inaccurate enough to worry people. btw

that application uses postGIS & geoserver to handle it's spatial data. a student

is (i think) prepping their road network to use pgRouting instead of google

(mainly because of accuracy issues at the scale of the campus).