5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 3:23 PM by davidbeisner2010

not synchronal after renderin

kaistoeckel

Hi guys,

I have a annoying problem with APP CS5:

After rendering a project the picture isn't synchronal with the sound anymore. I work with footage sources, means I work with different cameras.

I render in square pixels.

What render options should I use to avoid this problem?

Thanks for helping me out,

greets

Kai

• 1. Re: not synchronal after renderin
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Gonna need a lot more info than that to help you out.

Can you tell us EXACTLY what format (wrapper and codec) your footage is in, where it came from, what timeline info you're using, what your computer specs are, and what you're trying to encode out to?

• 2. Re: not synchronal after renderin
            kaistoeckel Level 1

"Can you tell us EXACTLY what format (wrapper and codec) your footage is  in, where it came from, what timeline info you're using, what your  computer specs are, and what you're trying to encode out to?"

Oh sure, sorry.

As I said the footage is mixed. We have Canon 7D footage (h.264) and HDV footage (Canon HV30 and Sony FX1, which are using the same codec: Apple Intermediate Codec, Linear PCM).

The audio is mixed as well: a lot comes from the HDV camcorders but I also recordered some external audio with a Zoom H4N (44100 Hz)

I don't know what you mean by timeline info but we set our sequence presets to dslr 1080p25. Normally I would export the project in hdtv 1080p 25, h.264 codec and square pixels, but I am not quite sure if this is the best. To me the HDV footage doesn't look so good in the final film. But this is another thing..

Please ask for more specific infos if needed. And thanks so far!

• 3. Re: not synchronal after renderin
              Pyramid Pyro Level 1

I use both HDV footage and audio from Zoom recorders like you are using.  If it were me I would check the following first...

1. Verify the areas using Zoom audio sync'd prior to rendering.  The clocks in those Zooms aren't the same as the cameras so they will tend to drift.
              2. Verify no drop-out occured while capturing HDV footage.  Drop-out can send the audio/video out of sync.

An HDV 30i sequence may be better, but you are using blended formats so that may not be an issue.

Best of luck,

Erik

• 4. Re: not synchronal after renderin
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, that's the info we need... thanks

On a side note, your HDV footage will probably look rather poor next to your 7D footage because the color space is smaller (4:2:0 instead of 4:2:2) and because the overall quality of the image is lacking. But, I digress...

Ok, I'm not certain this is the cause, but you mention that your Zoom recordings are at 44.1k... Video timelines work with 48k audio, and I know from audio production that you will get slight timing issues trying to mix 44.1k and 48k together. Try transcoding your 44.1k audio to 48k and then line things up and export and see what happens...

• 5. Re: not synchronal after renderin
                  kaistoeckel Level 1

Thanks guys! I'll remember your tipps.

As this project is concerned audio and video are perfectly synchronal in PP. Only after exporting it is slightly different. Do you have any suggestions what would be the best export settings in my case? I also tried to render with 44.1 k without  success. :/