4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 6:23 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Confused over how CUDA processing can help me - basic question I'm afraid!

Photofiend2000

Hi everyone

I hope someone can clear up my confusion, I have been reading round the topic a lot but I'm not totally sure of the answers...

I am going to be starting to deal with full HD 24p footage from the Canon 5D MKII soon.

It will be needed to be recoded to SD in PAL format.

Once it has been recoded I will be editing it, using colour corrections and brightness/contrast etc. I will also be splitting the audio, exporting it into another program, editing it and reinserting it (I know CUDA can't help with that!).

What I would really like to know before I splash out on a very expensive GPU is what parts of the process can the hardware version of the Mercury engine help me?

To start

Can the GPU speed up the process of recoding raw 1080p footage to SD PAL footage?

If so how will that be done, is it in Premiere Pro CS5 or using the media encoder?

Editing

I understand that the GPU can speed up the process of viewing footage with colour corrections etc., added into it without recoding, I'm happy with that I've seen Youtube videos of it being done.

Final output

Once the footage has been edited and is ready to export can the GPU help with that recoding process? If so, again is that in Premiere Pro CS5 or Encore?

Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, I know what I need to do get done but my workflow ideas are a bit hazy!

I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks very much 

• 1. Re: Confused over how CUDA processing can help me - basic question I'm afraid!
          shooternz Level 6

I will make this simple for you.

There is  every advantage to using MPE hardware and no disdavantage.  Go for it if you can.

Now about your workflow.

If you can use your native footage to edit ...do so ...in a matched Sequence.  ( ie dont transcode before editing)

The advantages will be in your CC and FX work and it gives you more flexibilty when you do need to transcode.

• 2. Re: Confused over how CUDA processing can help me - basic question I'm afraid!
            Photofiend2000 Level 1

Hi, thank you for your speedy reply.

Sounds good with the MPE, that gives me another question which I will come back to.

I'm still a little unclear about when MPE can speed things up.

If I do as you say and import and edit the 1080p footage directly into Premiere and edit it together and then colour correct etc., I understand that MPE can help a great deal then, a Youtube video I saw was absolutely stunning, it was display four colour corrected 1080p streams at once!

Once I have saved my final project and then want to recode it into PAL standard def can the MPE help again then or is it back to a CPU grind?

• 3. Re: Confused over how CUDA processing can help me - basic question I'm afraid!
              shooternz Level 6

I will give another simple answer because I dont actually track the speed advantages of MPE in various encodes.

Others do and it is well published in the forum

For me... MPE speeds up the edit process so so much that I changed my edit workflow significantly because of it.

eg. traditionally its usual to edit first and apply fx and cc last so as to avoid the render bar before playback routine..  I kind of stick to that as an idea but will often do a Key screen, FX  and CC as I go now.  All due to realtime of MPE on multiple layers.

Yes ...I get advantges when encoding ... (they fly through)...  but I never have measured or compared to non MPE . 

I do know there is more advantage in some CODEC than others.

Question - "what will you do with the time that you save"?

• 4. Re: Confused over how CUDA processing can help me - basic question I'm afraid!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The CUDA processing features of the Mercury Playback Engine accelerate these things:

- some effects

- scaling

- deinterlacing/interlacing

- blending modes

The acceleration of scaling matters a lot if you're converting something from one frame size to another---which it seems that you'll be doing. And, as Craig suggested, the acceleration of effects makes a lot of difference for things like color correction.

There are details about what is accelerated on this page and in the pages pointed to in the comments on that page.