15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 11:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 3.0

Al Irwin
      I still use Premiere Elements 3.0 to transfer my videos and still pics into a movie.  I have not transfered in quite awhile. I transfered pics from my Canon Powershot 200IS along with some very short video clips.  The problem I'm having is some of the video clips have no sound and the other clips do.  I compared the video that work and the videos that do not work.  I can not see one thing different.  Can anyone guess why that would be?
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
          nealeh Level 5

Can you analyse two clips (one working, one not) with  GSpot Codec Information Appliance and post screen shots here.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
            Al Irwin Level 1

sorry...not sure what you mean...???

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
              the_wine_snob Level 9

G-Spot is a great, free AV file utility, that will give the full details of almost any AV file that you load into it. Usually, G-Spot will be able to give a great deal of info about both the Audio & Video in the file, plus some system info, as well. Because there is often so much info, that it's usually easier to post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen, so that all data will be shown. That saves a lot of typing. This ARTICLE will give you tips on screen-caps.

Here is a look at a typical G-Spot screen-cap:

G-Spot_Screen_01.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                Al Irwin Level 1

I SOOOOO appreciate your help because this becomes very frustrating.  I

downloaded the GSpot and loaded the two different videos one at a

time...compared all that was said and again I see no difference.  Perhaps I

do not know what I'm looking for.  All my little video/audio clips work in

Windows Media player, Quicktime but for whatever reason (that's what I'm

trying to figure out) some will not have sound once I bring it into Movie

Maker.  The only difference I can see is that the file sizes are

different....Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One likely culprit could be the Audio CODEC used. Are there any differences there (lower-left box "Audio")?

Also, there is a little matrix of boxes w/ numbers in them, 1 - 3. These allow one to Render the file in G-Spot, and if all completes properly (look in the larger dialog box for any errors, etc.), will also allow one to "play" the file in the little player window in G-Spot.

One additional comment: when one Imports a file with Audio, into PrE, there is a necessary Conforming process. This must be allowed to complete, to edit the Audio. This ARTICLE will give more background and details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                    Al Irwin Level 1

The codec is the same (sowt: 16-bit signed little-endian)  I can play every clip in Gspot and all seems the same until I take it into PreElements

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                      Al Irwin Level 1

- -    ** Problem **    ** Missing file: ac3filter.acm
                      - -    Type    ACM
                      - -    Function    Decoder
                      DSH    4CC    Base
                      REG    Driver File    ac3filter.acm
                      found this under "problem"

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                        Al Irwin Level 1

That "problem" is listed on all my clips so I wouldn't think that is my problem

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. There's every indication that your video uses a codec not compatible with Premiere Elements.

Video from PowerShot still cameras can often be incompatible. It's usually low-level video that uses some proprietary compression codecs.

I'd recommend (as I'm sure Bill will too) that you use a program like Super -- or, better, Quicktime Pro -- to convert it to an editable DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

AC3 is a variation on MPEG Audio, and is basically Dolby Digital. It is one of the two approved DVD Audio formats/CODEC's, with PCM/WAV being the other. For PAL DVD's, MPEG-2 Audio is "optional," but is rapidly falling out of favor.

To process AC3, one does need the CODEC installed on the system. Now, whether PrE 3.0 can use it, if installed, could be an issue. Perhaps this SITE will be useful? It could also be that the necessary CODEC would be installed with a utility from the camera mfgr.? Again, whether PrE 3.0 can work with that, remains to be seen.

In lieu of the muxed DD AC3 Audio stream working directly, I do agree that conversion to PCM/WAV will work. Super, and several other conversion programs should work just fine.

If the Video is not posing any issues, it should also be possible to rip the Audio from the muxed AV file with a program, like the great, free Audacity. If that workflow is utilized, then one would rip the Audio, and Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, Import that into the Project, and just drag it to an available Audio Track, sync'ing it up with the Video. Converting with Super, or similar, is probably the easiest method, as Steve suggests.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                              Al Irwin Level 1

the video mode of my Canon Powershot 200IS  All video shot with the same

setting...same camera....some compatible some not?

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the exact Audio settings in your camera?

Did you allow the Audio to Conform, before dragging the file to the Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                                  Al Irwin Level 1

NTSC is the only setting I see in menu

I thought I did...how long?  I tried bringing the working clip in first and

then last and the same with the non working clip.  I've been looking at

(downloaded Audacity) how to copy and paste audio into clip in PreElem....no

luck yet...trying to figure it out.  Can't seem to get pass knowing some are

okay and some are not...should not have to do anything different for one and

not the other.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                                    Al Irwin Level 1

Okay....I got it to work by downloading the clips directly from my camera (I

had been downloading from a saved file on my computer) Still very confused

as to why some would work and others wouldn't but at least I know that I can

bring them directly from the camera (memory card) and it works.  THANK YOU

SO MUCH for all your help and suggestions!

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Conforming, there is a little progress bar in the very lower-right of the GUI. When one Imports an AV file with Audio, the Conforming (and generation of the PEK/Waveform file) will take place. The duration of Conforming will depend on several aspects: speed of computer, Duration of Clip, original Audio format.

As for ripping and using Audio, as with Audacity, one would separately Import the ripped PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file into the Project, and then just drag that to a free Audio Track, sync'ing it up with the Video portion. Note: if one places the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) at the beginning of the Video Clip, the Audio PCM/WAV will Snap to that, and sync should be maintained.

Good luck,

Hunt