3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 9:12 PM by magneter

Trimming HD video files for export from Windows to After Effects on a MAC

magneter Level 1

Hi,

I have some .MTS files created using 2 HD camcorders:

1) Panasonic HDC-TM700 which shoots full HD @ 1920 x 1080 and
      2) JVC Everio GZ-HM550 which shoots the same HD resolution

I am working with PP CS5 on Windows 7

I need to trim some small pieces (5 -10 seconds) out of many of the .MTS files to send to someone using After Effects MAC and FC Pro

In trying to keep the highest HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, the number of choices to select when creating a new sequence and then when exporting from PP is confusing.

Note: I notice that 2 clips I have in my PP project bin at the same time have different frame rates which I believe that 1 each came from my different cameras:

file 1) 29.97fps 48000hz compressed stereo
      file 2) 59.94fps 48000hz compressed 5.1

Can anyone guide me here on sequence and export settings & codecs to maintain the HD resolution and least loss of quality on export?

Will the 2 different frame rates prior to export cause any issues? I'm assuming PP will re-interpret for output.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Trimming HD video files for export from Windows to After Effects on a MAC
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I do After Effects work for someone who edits in a different office. We use QuickTime movies with the PNG codec (which is lossless at the highest quality settings) to pass movies back and forth. These movies are about half the size of movies created using the Animation codec. It's important to use a lossless codec when passing movies back and forth between post-production applications; I'd be really annoyed if he gave me lossily compressed footage for keying, for example.

There's no problem with mixing frame rates in a sequence, especially if one of your footage items is at twice the frame rate as the other---so the software won't have to do any interpolation / frame blending to create the in-between frames.

• 2. Re: Trimming HD video files for export from Windows to After Effects on a MAC
            magneter Level 1

Thanks, I just did a test export and 15 seconds of video created a 1GB .MOV file using the PNG codec

I understand the files are not compressed. Do you think they can be any smaller than that?

How long are the movies your associate sends you and approx what do file sizes look like?

• 3. Re: Trimming HD video files for export from Windows to After Effects on a MAC
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I understand the files are not compressed.

You misunderstand. The files are compressed. But they're compressed without losing any information. Losslessly compressed movies are a lot smaller than uncompressed movies---but they're still bigger than movies compressed with a lossy codec that would be more suitable for final delivery and distribution.

> How long are the movies your associate sends you and approx what do file sizes look like?

I tend to work on individual clips that are from several seconds to a few minutes long. They're usually a small number of GB each. Don't fret about large file sizes for intermediate files. Making movies small matters when you're streaming them for final delivery, not when you're handing over a hard disk or using an FTP server to exchange files for post-production work.