6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 12:39 PM by malibu3131

Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD

malibu3131 Level 1

I would like to get an opinion on what configuration would give me the best performance on my laptop.

I have a Dell Studio 17.  It has two drive bays.  Quad core processor, and 8 gig of ram.

I am going to re-install the OS (Win 7 Ultimate).

I will have two hard drives.  One, a 250gig Kingston Solid State Drive.  Two, a Seagate 750gig 7200rpm w/16meg cache.

I am thinking of using the 250gig for the OS, and 750 for data.

So here is my question, would I install CS5 on the C (solid state) drive since it is faster?  and where would the best place to put media and scratch files be?

I can put it all on C being that it is a solid state drive and much faster, but then I am only using one drive controller.  Or, should I split it up and utilize both drive controllers.  Of course, I suppose that Dell only used one drive controller for both drives in which it's a mute point.  But I don't know this for sure.

Anyway, open to any opinions.  Including installing the OS on  the larger slower drive, maybe using some partitions, leaving the 250 gig Solid State as the CS5 drive.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would install both the OS and the programs on the SSD, then place your media (and in this case, the Project & Scratch Disks) on your D:\. First, almost all Adobe programs really, really want to be installed onto C:\. The goal is to split the I/O load, as much as you can. That is why most recommend a 3x HDD setup, where C:\ has OS and programs, D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks, and then E:\ media. As you have only a 2x, then a compromise will be needed. The program will not likely benefit too much from the SSD, but the OS will, especially at bootup.

While having the media and Projects (plus Scratch Disks) on a single HDD is not the ultimate, I do that when I need to migrate Projects between computers, and it's fine - though not the ultimate for performance.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I agree with everything Bill said.

(Now there's a first.)

• 3. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Must have been just the right number of commas?

Hunt

• 4. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
                malibu3131 Level 1

Well that is great!!!   I do have an option of using an ESATA port for a third drive.  So that may be an option.  But maybe I'll test it first.  The ESATA port is supposed to allow an external SATA run at full native speed.  Maybe I can connect my old 120gig SSD drive to it for the media.  That would give me the three drives.

Just thinking out loud here. 

• 5. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The eSATA option is a great one. You will then virtually have a 3x HDD system, and that will spread the load well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Laptop Dual Drive configuration with SSD
                    malibu3131 Level 1

I did some benchmarks using PerformanceTest 7.0

What is interesting to me is that I had partitioned my 2nd drive to put my CS5 projects on.  Scratch is on C.

The B drive, and D drive is the same drive, just two different partitions.  I don't know why, but the B partision is slower than the D partition.

B is 112gig with 50gig free, and D is 340gig with 65gig free.  But being the same physical drive, I would think they would have the same performance.

Anyway, also included in the benchmark is drive M, which is my external drive connected both as a USB drive, and an ESATA drive.

The ESATA benchmark is pretty good, beating the B drive in all tests, and close to the D drive.

Of course the SSD drive beats them all in all tests. 

Can't wait for these to come in a terabyte at affordable prices.  !!